uniqs
share rss forum feed

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to david3

Re: Callcentric Outgoing CNAM

So now do we have to pay for unpublished or is an option?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by nonymous:

So now do we have to pay for unpublished or is an option?

If you dial *67 before your call, CallCentric will not transmit your CID or your CNAM. A default California CID will be transmitted instead. [Other companies vary in their handling of *67, and only CallCentric's *67 protects you when calling tollfree numbers].

If you want them to transmit your CID, but [not] transmit your CNAM, I am sure that you can ask them to do that, and they certainly won't charge you for that.

Keep in mind that [you the customer] provide the info that they will use for the CNAM (LIDB population), as long as you are not doing fraud.

Your Outbound CNAM information is obtained from the Company Name or First/Last Name Fields on your account, using the following hierarchy:

1. Company Name
2. First/Last Name

These updates take place weekly/bi-weekly via an automated process and generally speaking once your update is submitted, there typically is a lead time of 1-2 weeks before you will see results on your outbound calls (as other providers will need to update their records).

If you would like to update your Outbound CNAM Information, please login to the My Callcentric Account Portal and follow the "Preference" Tab. When on this page, select the "Address" tab and enter your updated First/Last or Company Name information.

When updating your Caller ID Information, please note that it is an industry standard that names submitted need to be 15 "Alpha" characters or less. Additionally, please note that you must use valid CNAM information and you cannot use the names of Government Agencies, Business Names that you are not authorized to use, obscenities, offensive names, slander, etc... Customers' who do not comply with the above detailed parameters are subject to an account review which can potentially lead to an immediate suspension or cancellation of services.

So you could even have your CNAM be [nonymous nonymous] if you choose....

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

So now do we have to pay for unpublished or is [it] an option?

Funny - with a screen name like yours - OOPS, and mine - I was expecting you to be asking that - and m'self too.

Oddly, in the other recent thread where I was most vocal in objecting about my name being sent/published as CNAM by CC, when CC had said at the time that they did not do so (and I was soundly flamed by certain regulars here for even THINKING so), I of my own choice tried an experiment in that very section of my CC profile, to see from what point of reference my CNAM was being grabbed, and changed my name in there.

The sole result was an email from CC, mentioning (for account security purposes) that I had changed the record, but NO change in CNAM.

Armed with CC's newly published CNAM policy, I will repeat that test and report back.

= = = = = = =

It seems that the screen where CC asks us to make our changes related to CNAM is also used for other purposes by them.

Methinks (now wearing my IT/DB-Admin hat) that a new field should be added to our CC account profile records, specifically for CNAM info - and that it should self-limit to 15 characters, for any of us characters who have trouble counting.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

....If you want them to transmit your CID, but [not] transmit your CNAM, I am sure that you can ask them to do that, and they certainly won't charge you for that.

Incumbent carriers surely would, though.

said by PX Eliezer7:

Keep in mind that you [the customer] provide the info that they will use for the CNAM (LIDB population), as long as you are not doing fraud.

So you could even have your CNAM be [nonymous nonymous] if you choose....

(good joke, but seriously, that string exceeds 15 chars)

= = = = = =

See also my most recent previous post, first made in reply to 'nonymous'.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by Davesnothere:

See also my most recent previous above post.

said by Davesnothere:

I of my own choice tried an experiment in that very section of my CC profile, to see from what point of reference my CNAM was being grabbed, and changed my name in there.

The sole result was an email from CC, mentioning (for account security purposes) that I had changed the record, but NO change in CNAM.

Armed with CC's newly published CNAM policy, I will repeat that test and report back.

But you are in Canada, which is like a whole [nother] country even though we share a [mother] country.

[In the USA, the poor people sit in a privy. In Canada, the rich people sit on a Privy Council.]

CC was talking about LIDB population, crucially important for US calls, but not universally applicable to Canadian calls where many of the phone companies on the receiving end are going to use SS7 signaling data rather than doing an LIDB dip. (I know that you know that, I am commenting for casual readers).

So the question is, what is CC sending in the SS7 signal on Canadian calls?

It may depend on how you put your name in your ATA, IP Phone, or Asterisk/PBX---especially in the case of an Asterisk/PBX. I am saying [may] because CC would have to answer that question.

said by Davesnothere:

But how would you see how your CNAM shows up?

By making calls to a BellCanada line, a Rogers line, a Comwave line, etc? Aside from the SS7 issue, even if they use LIDB they will be using different LIDB databases.

The pudding thickens....

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

said by PX Eliezer7:

....So the question is, what is CC sending in the SS7 signal on Canadian calls ?

SS7, or NOT SS7 - THAT is the question ! ....

said by Davesnothere:

said by PX Eliezer7:

But how would you see how your CNAM shows up?

By making calls to a BellCanada line, a Rogers line, a Comwave line, etc? Aside from the SS7 issue, even if they use LIDB they will be using different LIDB databases.

The pudding thickens....

The test which made me even try more tests was last August (2012) »ANVEO Inbound CID-CNAM Report , when I had noticed that my Anveo DID was dipping and getting my correct name as CNAM data on calls made from my CC number.

Also observed then was that a CallWithUs (Targus) manual dip yielded an identical result for my CC DID.

That's what sparked all of my questions, rhetoric, and consequent speculation about which VoIPPs use what CNAM LIDB(s), at that time.

I plan to [at least] use Anveo again as one of my yardschticks.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by Davesnothere:

I plan to at least use Anveo again as one of my yardschticks.

Do you still have yardschticks or even yardsticks in your Metric country?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by PX Eliezer7:

Metreschticks ?

Iscream
Premium
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Davesnothere:

said by PX Eliezer7:

Metreschticks ?

You guys make me laugh aloud while when I laugh - I sneeze and then I can't concentrate on my job )

Dave - I've already requested for CNAM source info to be configurable on per DID (vs. account) basis including "voiding" the info (not populating any DBs with it) - also on per DID basis.

I can't say how long the lead time may be... programmers are worse than banks when you need a sudden loan, moreover - their (programers') gray interest rates are measured in weeks of additional vacations ).

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

Yes, it seems that the only way to get a bank loan these days is to prove that you don't NEED one.

As for your sneezing, possibly our good Doctor PX would prescribe an antihistimine for you.

So could any of your programmers be encouraged with Bagels ?

Or mayhaps with Krispy Kreme Doughnuts from the Penn Station food court ? - I personally am fond of their raspberry-filled ones.

I only have the one DID, so I didn't even think of the question on a per-DID basis - just per-account.

Anyway, what would happen if I was to deliberately ADD something specific to the [currently blank] field for 'Company Name' in my CC profile ?

Would THAT become my CNAM after the next refresh that CC does to the LIDB(s) in a week or two's time ?

Am I understanding things properly ?

User 'nonymous' and some other 'privacy-oholics' such as us may appreciate the answer too.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2

said by Iscream:

You guys make me laugh aloud while when I laugh - I sneeze and then I can't concentrate on my job )

said by Iscream:

Dave - I've already requested for CNAM source info to be configurable on per DID (vs. account) basis including "voiding" the info (not populating any DBs with it) - also on per DID basis.

A well thought out request.

said by Iscream:

I can't say how long the lead time may be... programmers are worse than banks when you need a sudden loan, moreover - their (programers') gray interest rates are measured in weeks of additional vacations ).

said by Davesnothere:

Or mayhaps with Krispy Kreme Doughnuts from the Penn Station food court ? - I personally am fond of their raspberry-filled ones.

Don't forget pizza, beer, and coffee!

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by SCADAGeo:

said by Davesnothere:

Don't forget pizza, beer, and coffee!

[facepalm] >>> DAVE [/facepalm]