Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Suit Up

Re: Ping times

said by Suit Up:

Cable ping times are going to be higher than DSL in general. For me, pinging google I'll normally get between 12-20ms, with occasional spikes up to 200ms.

My observation is that ADSL on "Fastpath" is about the same as cable, with a lower deviation. ADSL2+ and VDSL on "Interleaved" adds 10 ms to 20 ms to latency over "Fastpath". So, no, cable latency should not be higher than DSL "in general", and may even be lower; albeit with slightly higher deviation.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

2 edits
said by NormanS:

albeit with slightly higher deviation.

That's the problem. Due to the nature of TDMA/CDMA, your ping times are going to depend on node congestion. During peak hours they will usually be higher than during non-peak times. So that's why I say in general Cable ping times are going to be higher. But yes, in perfect conditions, they can be lower.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Congestion can afflict DSL, as well. A congested DSL aggregation router can send latency through the roof. OTOH, a well managed HFC can avoid congestion.

Deviation is a measure of the spread around the average. With my Interleaved ADSL2+ connection, deviation is normally 1ms to 2ms; same as my old Fastpath ADSL connection. My observation of cable latency is a deviation of 4ms to 5ms.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Suit Up

Los Angeles, CA
said by NormanS:

Congestion can afflict DSL, as well. A congested DSL aggregation router can send latency through the roof. OTOH, a well managed HFC can avoid congestion.

Yes that's true, but that aspect can affect cable as well, but DSL doesn't have the same problem as the TDMA/CDMA management at the first hop.

If your deviation is only 4-5ms, then that's pretty good. Right now mine is 46.651ms: even though I managed to get a min of 11.140ms, the max was still 210.431ms.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:14
said by Suit Up:

If your deviation is only 4-5ms, then that's pretty good. Right now mine is 46.651ms: even though I managed to get a min of 11.140ms, the max was still 210.431ms.

The only times I've ever seen pings that high is when I'm also up/downloading stuff. I just ran 2 tests back to back, the first one with an idle connection and the next while running a speed test (got 29.8 Mbps on my 30/5 connection BTW).

1st one, all <11.5 ms:

2nd one, while downloading at 29.8 Mbps:

So yes, if you're downloading something large then your pings will creep up. Otherwise they stay rather low. If yours are creeping while not downloading then I would replace your router as it's the most likely cause.

/M

Suit Up

Los Angeles, CA
I wasn't downloading or uploading anything. My guess is it's just congestion and still being on DOCSIS 2.