spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Papercut

@xx.net.il

[Speed Issues] Ruined internet with Regedit

Hello everyone. So, It literally took me 20 minutes just to register on this website, I am pretty hopeless right now.
I came here because I have no any other solution and I need a professional advice..
This is what I did.. I wanted to lower my ping a bit on an online game, so like any other stupid kid I went to google and searched for a way.
What I found was a "simple" trick or whatsoever on regedit, all you need to do is add few lines. But when I did that, my network got destroyed. If I had a ping of 100 before, I've got 13k now. Loading a video on Youtube takes hours. Loading a simple page like this became unbearable.

I'll copy exactly what they said to do:

quote:
A few hints to lower your ping in many online games:
1) Run regedit and find the following location…
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\
Parameters\Interfaces\
2) Add a new DWORD (32-bit) named “TcpAckFrequency” and set its value to “1 under the desired interface.
3) Add a new DWORD (32-bit) named “TCPNoDelay” and set its value to “1 as well.
4) Next, find this location…
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters
5) Add a new DWORD (32-bit) naned “TCPNoDelay” and set its value to “1.
6) Close regedit, reboot, and you’re done.
I tried deleting those lines, setting them to 0 to 2, back to 1. I tried using my regedit backup to delete what I did, I tried doing a system restore to a day ago.. a week.. even 2 months back. And [u]nothing[/u]. Nothing can change back my internet, I don't know what this was. But it just ruined my internet forever,I'm clueless. Please help me if you can
Thank you.

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
If you have a System Restore point from before you made the edit, try that.

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

join:2007-01-22
Chicago, IL
reply to Papercut
Papercut -

Have you tried a System Repair using your Windows CD/DVD? Did you not make a backup of the registry before you edited it? Thats really rule #1 when playing with the registry.

angussf See Profile Sounds like he already tried going back further with restore points than when he made the change with restore points.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Papercut
What version of Windows? XP/ 7? 8?

If your restoration does not work, I might look to other things like hardware failure, as well, before looking at software alone.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
reply to Papercut
said by Papercut :

But it just ruined my internet forever,I'm clueless. Please help me if you can
Thank you.

Try these tools ;
»cexx.org/lspfix.htm

»www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownlo···&t=4&i=1

»www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Papercut
A) don't mess with you registry if you are not 100%sure you know what you are doing

B) If you have anything other than XP don't try doing tweeks to improve your ping. On XP you can do a RWIN change.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
C) Make a copy of your registry before making any changes to it
--
CMKRNL

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to Papercut
Well, You have done the "no no" of ALL "no no's" on Windows and thats you have messed with the TCP/IP stack....

guess what? the only 100% for sure way to fix it is to re-install Windows....

Its been common knowledge for a long time...never mess with anything but RWIN(thats only on Windows XP) and newer versions of Windows leave things be.

Also, you can't reduce ping like that...packet routes, BGP, upstream routers, and other equipment on/that makes up the Internet is really what decides your ping because your ping to a host is dependent on the state and length of the routes your packets take, and that is determined by the routers and equipment that makes up the net. it decides which, of many routes, your packets will take.

so don't believe what you read about making any changes on your PC is going to help with that...also please remember..don't confuse download/upload(bandwidth) with latency because they are NOT the same thing...ISP sell connections on download speed(bandwidth, more bandwidth means faster browsing, downloading, etc) not latency...a 2MB DSL line with a low ping such as 6-14ms is better for gaming then a 30mb download line from Comcast with a 25-35ms ping....its all about latency.

Good luck re-installing Windows...live and learn!

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Papercut
I wanted to share what I found by doing a Google search on the first line of the OP's quote, which is
quote:
A few hints to lower your ping in many online games:

I found this thread (I believe it was the first hit google returned), as well as this thread out at techguy.org

»forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/10···dit.html

I also came across this youtube video.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH7eghnNO-k

From the screen pictures, it looks to be Windows Vista. The poster of the video "claims" that making a few reg hacks, doing a reboot, removing the windows feature "Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ)", doing another reboot, and then make a few more reg hacks, and a final reboot, caused their ping to go from 900 to 100 on counter strike.

Yeah OK sure. If you believe that, I have some great beachfront property in Kansas to sell ya!

I don't even see how that is possible. As others have said, ping times have nothing to do with your actual computer. The only effect you directly have on ping is between your computer and your cable modem, and no amount of reg hacking is going to fix that.

I wonder if this is the "simple trick" that the OP found?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
'Ping' is end-to-end. Though gamers typically don't mean a normal ICMP ECHO ping, they mean a game-specific way to measure the end-to-end round-trip time, by sending a TCP message and waiting for the response.

As such, disabling Nagling ('TCPNoDelay') will likely reduce the end-to-end latency, though of course also preventing the ack piggybacking that the Nagle algorithm is intended to give you.

I'm less sure that changing TcpAckFrequency will do anything useful, and of course reducing that will tend to increase the number of separate acks.

MSMQ seems to be totally irrelevant.

But all this is by-the-by. Setting those values should not result in total hosage. Even if it did, resetting the values (either manually or via his 'regedit backup') should fix whatever the problem was. Even if that was done incorrectly, restoring to a point before the change should fix whatever the problem is.

Since none of the sure-fire remedies worked, we're left with:

1. Poster didn't do what he thought he had done.
2. Or there's some deeper system problem.

I have nothing much to suggest, given the obvious remedies have already failed.

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20
reply to Papercut
Here is how you can do a full reinstall of TCP/IP
----------------------------------------------------------------------
These steps are copied from »support.microsoft.com/kb/325356
1. Locate the Nettcpip.inf file in C:\Windows\inf, and then open the file in Notepad.
2. Locate the [MS_TCPIP.PrimaryInstall] section.
3. Edit the Characteristics = 0xa0 entry and replace 0xa0 with 0x80.
4. Save the file, and then exit Notepad.
5. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
6. On the General tab, click Install, select Protocol, and then click Add.
7. In the Select Network Protocols window, click Have Disk.
8. In the Copy manufacturer's files from: text box, type c:\windows\inf, and then click OK.
9. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
Note This step will return you to the Local Area Connection Properties screen, but now the Uninstall button is available.
10. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Uninstall, and then click Yes.
RESTART

succesfull uninstallation of TCP/IP will remove numerous keys from the registry including
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/tcpip
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/dhcp
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/dnscache
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/ipsec
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/policyagent
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/atmarpc
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/nla
These represent various interconnected and interdependant services.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Following the above step #1, Locate the Nettcpip.inf file in C:\Windows\inf, and then open the file in Notepad. Replace the 0x80 back to 0xa0, this will eliminate the related "unsigned driver" error that was encountered during the uninstallation phase.

12. Return to "local area connection"> properties > general tab > install > Protocol > TCP/IP

13. Reboot.

14. Done

If you receive an "Extended Error" failure upon trying to reinstall the TCP/IP, this is related to the installer sub-system conflicting with the security database status.

to check the integrity of the security database
esentutl /g c:\windows\security\Database\secedit.sdb

There may be a message saying database is out of date
first try the recovery option
esentutl /r c:\windows\security\Database\secedit.sdb

this did not work for me, I needed the repair option
esentutl /p c:\windows\security\Database\secedit.sdb

rerun the /g option to ensure that integrity is good and database is up to date.

Now return to the "local area network setup"
choose install > protocol > tcp/ip and try again

reboot.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Papercut
Seems that full wipe clean and reinstall windows might solve a multitude of problems for you.

If you don't yet have an imaging program to create a backup image of your system you might want to get one.

If it is still available, you might want to try the free one from Seagate (the hard drive company).

Paid alternatives include True Image and Ghost (assuming both those are still on the market).

However, I tried Ghost in the past with less than good results. Probably due to my failure to comprehend how to use the retail version of the software.

shearer
Northern Lights
Premium
join:2002-06-18
Asia
reply to dave
said by dave:

Setting those values should not result in total hosage. Even if it did, resetting the values (either manually or via his 'regedit backup') should fix whatever the problem was. Even if that was done incorrectly, restoring to a point before the change should fix whatever the problem is.

Since none of the sure-fire remedies worked, we're left with:

1. Poster didn't do what he thought he had done.
2. Or there's some deeper system problem.

I have nothing much to suggest, given the obvious remedies have already failed.

I was thinking along these same lines too. I have fooled around with TCPIP reg tweaks back in my XP days - whatever "damage" done by my tweaks has always reversed itself after I restore the original reg values.