join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to donoreo

Re: Ontaro Labour Law question

said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

They are 11hrs shifts (of which they pay 10) at least 5 days a week.

This person needs a new job.

It sounds like it. Before I took the job I have now (Payroll Manager) I had a guy try to get me to not only work almost every day, but he wanted me to do at least 65 hours per week and be hush hush about it. Since I am and always have been in the payroll field I told him where he could stuff that, and quietly filed a complaint with the labour board.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by eweazel:

I had a guy try to get me to not only work almost every day, but he wanted me to do at least 65 hours per week and be hush hush about it.

2 points;

1. You can't contract out of the minimum statutory requirements in Ontario and the same goes if there is a collective agreement.

2. If dealing with a slimy employer do the overtime they want you to be hush hush about then file a compliant when you leave or just before the statutory time limit to do so. I have done this twice for people and got all the overtime paid out with interest.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a

1 recommendation

It's a crying shame people would have to do this in Canada at all. The anti union folks can rant all they like but working like you just described may soon be the norm.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

said by Rifleman:

It's a crying shame people would have to do this in Canada at all. The anti union folks can rant all they like but working like you just described may soon be the norm.

In the one case I told the guy and he told the employer what they were doing was illegal and they were like, "F-off and move on if you don't like the hours" so he said, "Whatever dude" and kept logging the hours with copious notes and cleaned up a year later with thousands in overtime. Silly little man employer.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Rifleman
said by Rifleman:

What is more common, especially in the hospitality industry, is that you are reduced in hours to the bare minimum (maybe one shift a week) as a "hint" you need to move on.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to peterboro
I worked at a corner store at 15. The bitch owner wanted me to sit at home "on call" for free. Of course I took off during the day and got blasted the next day. I quit and refused to let that happen again. It did once in my trade non union and I wrote about it here. I was fired---quit there too.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by Rifleman:

The bitch owner wanted me to sit at home "on call" for free.

My last employer tried to pull that on me. I simply said I refused, and nothing - at least at that particular time - became of it. I didn't expect full salary for being on call, but I'll be damned if I should sit next to a phone and not be free to go anywhere I want on my "day off" without being compensated for it.

This is the kind of stuff that I try and drill into the heads of the management at the store. ESA stuff is important. HRC stuff is even more so for the simple reason that there is no defined answer and that you usually need to not be a prick about things to not get in trouble. Common courtesy and understanding that one doesn't own an entire employees life is also another. This, thankfully, has never been a big issue for us but there have been a few situations (particularly on the HRC side of things). Some people simply don't get it until someone on equal footing explains to them not only what the actual law is, but how much it can cost them for not doing it.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by Gone:

This, thankfully, has never been a big issue for us but there have been a few situations (particularly on the HRC side of things).

HRC sec. 34 or an OHSA sec. 50 will be 10k to 20k irrespective of damages awarded.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Oh god, OHSA, that's another situation entirely. I was hoping to enjoy my evening.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by Gone:

Oh god, OHSA, that's another situation entirely. I was hoping to enjoy my evening.

Given your posting history just be glad Bill 168 amendments don't apply in here.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
They don't apply in the legislature, either.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Rifleman:

The bitch owner wanted me to sit at home "on call" for free.

My last employer tried to pull that on me. I simply said I refused, and nothing - at least at that particular time - became of it. I didn't expect full salary for being on call, but I'll be damned if I should sit next to a phone and not be free to go anywhere I want on my "day off" without being compensated for it.

This goes on in iT all the time, ask Donoero, remember how he was struggling to get the vpn to work at the cottage?

I was looking at a job for a housewares retailer, they wanted you to be on call 24/7.

No thanks.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......