Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to eweazel

Re: Building an HTPC vs a Media Server

If your budget is 300, I would avoid going to HTPC route. While it's very possible to build one for that price, you would need to spend a bit more to get a good HTPC that will easily handle HD, be quiet, and look decent (if you want to have it in the living room with everything else.) I'd be looking at about $500 for something decent.

I built mine about a year ago for around $600. Mind you, I did spend a bit extra on a better video card, got an i3, an SSD and a nicer box... but I found it to be worth it. No one can tell there's a PC in the living room. Everyone thinks it's a blu-ray/DVD player, it's very silent. Can only hear it if there is zero noise in the whole house during a very hot day in the summer. And it can easily play any HD video, bluray disk or anything else without an effort even if I'm doing something else in the background like burning to/from a disk, transferring files from another computer, downloading, etc.

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by ekster:

If your budget is 300, I would avoid going to HTPC route. While it's very possible to build one for that price, you would need to spend a bit more to get a good HTPC that will easily handle HD, be quiet, and look decent (if you want to have it in the living room with everything else.) I'd be looking at about $500 for something decent.

I built mine about a year ago for around $600. Mind you, I did spend a bit extra on a better video card, got an i3, an SSD and a nicer box... but I found it to be worth it. No one can tell there's a PC in the living room. Everyone thinks it's a blu-ray/DVD player, it's very silent. Can only hear it if there is zero noise in the whole house during a very hot day in the summer. And it can easily play any HD video, bluray disk or anything else without an effort even if I'm doing something else in the background like burning to/from a disk, transferring files from another computer, downloading, etc.

I just want it to play videos, by desktop would handle everything else. I even considered the zotac's for a while there.

zed173

join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON

said by eweazel:

said by ekster:

I just want it to play videos, by desktop would handle everything else. I even considered the zotac's for a while there.

I got the Pivos AIOS from Canada Computers for $119 and it plays everything I throw at it so far. Can mount NFS and SMB, stream from UPNP as well. Even has a slot for a hot swap SATA drive if you want need it. Runs Busybox Linux inside.

»www.pivosgroup.com/aios.html

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

3 edits
reply to ekster

I got to disagree. You don't need much to have a nice little HTPC. I'm sporting a monster duel-core system and it runs everything just fine.

I got a AMD Radon HD 6450 and I've no issue running HD movies.

OP if you want something cheap and small look into the »www.raspberrypi.org/. I may get a ouya myself if it turns out to run XBMC well. Only issue with the pi and ouya is no digitel output port that I would need for sound if you really want something small and don't need a digital port unlike me I'd look into a ouya myself it will support netflix and all that plus XBMC.

also boxee box is dead? oh I see they moved on to a new version.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by TOPDAWG:

I got to disagree. You don't need much to have a nice little HTPC. I'm sporting a monster duel-core system and it runs everything just fine.

... yea, but that's not an HTCP, it's something that belongs under a desk in 2004.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON

ok whats an HTPC then? if you want to play games too then sure you'll need more but for watching movies it's no issue. I can run 1080P and the like no issue and everything runs smooth online like youtube HD and crap.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by TOPDAWG:

ok whats an HTPC then?

Usually they're more home theatre oriented, as in small form factor or mITX, and not big old desktop computers. I was more busting your balls than anything.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

yeah it's dick ugly. It was the wifes old PC but we both just use my laptop so I turned it into an HTPC. It works well for what I need. I'm a jobless fuck right now so I'll replace it in the future. I got more then enough money to get a new one but I'm a cheap mofo.

I also kind of want to wait and hope one day to finish my basement so that is when I will build a new HTPC mind you long as the one I'm using does not die and give it good spics to run games and the like. I like the ouya but like I said I need a new receiver as no digitel port is on the ouya and again my current one still works and it's like near 10 years old but still works and I don't want to buy one then need a new one once I do my basement.

Also need to build a damn NAS and not have 6 external drives.