uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

1 edit

10 Year Old Boy Fixes My Car

Amazing. Im down in Central America right now on vacation and Im driving a rented 2011 Toyota Yaris, the interior/panel lights stopped working and to return the car I would have to travel 3 hours back to the capital and exchange car and possibly pay liability money on it? I was adviced to take it to a local electrician and just not mention anything.

I took it to a local shop and this little boy that looks 8 years old was sent to look at my car, I was like WTF? He had tools and started to check all fuses, then checked wire harness and then disassembled the interior of the car and did something on it and by gawd made the lights work again. The oldest "worker" at the shop was about 21, the owner looks like 55. The kid told me he was 10 almost 11 but looks only about 8. I also saw a kid that looked 12 driving a full sized truck filled with tons of sugarcane up mountain roads.

I have pictures of the 10 year old electrician working in my rented car.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada

1 edit
Food for thought for heavily-regulated Ontarians;

Theres no speed limits here in the roads and highways yet nobody goes above 120 km/h..... 90% of the vehicles in these straight lane highways only travel at 90 km/h and 80 km/h. The only cops I have seen spend their time on the side of the road under tree shades drinking pop. Nothing is enforced here... the only downside about this is that there are huge trucks carrying fruits with no lights and reflectors in the back at night and many people slam into the back of them.

People do NOT abuse speed because of no sped limit, well said by a U.S. expert that people will travel at a speed that they feel comfortable with even without speed limits.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to Xstar_Lumini
That's called child labor in this Country.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

2 recommendations

said by capdjq:

Labour, actually

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Food for thought for heavily-regulated Ontarians;

Theres no speed limits here in the roads and highways yet nobody goes above 120 km/h..... 90% of the vehicles in these straight lane highways only travel at 90 km/h and 80 km/h. The only cops I have seen spend their time on the side of the road under tree shades drinking pop. Nothing is enforced here... the only downside about this is that there are huge trucks carrying fruits with no lights and reflectors in the back at night and many people slam into the back of them.

People do NOT abuse speed because of no sped limit, well said by a U.S. expert that people will travel at a speed that they feel comfortable with even without speed limits.

»www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/caus···country/

Which is why the death rate per 100,000 by traffic accidents is up to quadruple that of Canada. Unless you are in Guatemala, then it is lower.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
And let's not even talk about death by violence in Central America. Cue the gun pics!
--

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
said by DKS:

And let's not even talk about death by violence in Central America. Cue the gun pics!

Maybe in Nicaragua or Guatemala, but my experiences in Costa Rica and Belize speak otherwise.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Xstar_Lumini
I kind of looked at differently.

Look at what kind of skillset people can have if they're taught early and focused on that one thing. (instead of school/university where alot of people get a broad education).

Of course, no kind knows what they want to do, but it is impressive how good you can get at something if you focus on it at a young age.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by capdjq:

Labour, actually

Usually use the American Spelling.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

2 recommendations

said by capdjq:

Usually use the American Spelling.

Doesn't make it any more correct

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

said by DKS:

Maybe in Nicaragua or Guatemala, but my experiences in Costa Rica and Belize speak otherwise.

Look at the numbers in the link. It's all there.
--

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Central America covers a pretty wide area. What country are you in?
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
My Uncle and Aunt are in Costa Rica...they go every single year for about 6 weeks to get out of the cold, they know people down there and its all quite friendly. I even was able to help them out as they wanted to get Internet (imagine that) wirelessly to a cabin that's about 900m from where their internet comes into the main house....so they bought a couple of Nanostation M5's and set them up and as far as I know have had worry free operation of them like I have so far for the couple of years I've had them....

I don't know the local laws when it comes to wifi signals but definitely they are friendly people and my aunt and uncle hate leaving but they always have a good time there.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to mr weather
Currently Im in El Salvador at the Tazumal ruins/pyramids but have been also in Guatemala and Honduras. I saw a guy with blonde hair and blue eyes wearing a white t-shirt with the words "Google" on it (logo colors and all). He looked like a hippie and came on a fishing canoe to shore... I thought he would greet me seeing another westerner and he avoided me like the plague. What an idiot, maybe he was a fugitive?

I saw a weird car today but they abound in this country... its a Chevrolet "Spark" and it's as small as a Smart car that we see in Canada... never seen that kind of Chevrolet car in North America.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Xstar_Lumini:

I saw a weird car today but they abound in this country... its a Chevrolet "Spark" and it's as small as a Smart car that we see in Canada... never seen that kind of Chevrolet car in North America.

You haven't looked very hard, then.

»www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/ch···overview

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
2013 brand new car would stand out down there.

On the flip, being a sub compact it would blend in quite well around the GTA.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
He said he's never seen them in North America. As new as the Spark is, I've already seen them in Fort Erie on more than one occasion.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Wow...this kid could be the next Boyd Coddington or Chip Fose of Central America.... LOL...

Great post, thanks for sharing....

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to capdjq
said by capdjq:

I see a kid set for life with those skills.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
said by milnoc:

said by capdjq:

I see a kid set for life with those skills.

Yeah, a fuse replacement technician.
--
Some hero's wear capes, mine wear combat boots.

Black Box

join:2002-12-21
Don't knock it. Reminds me of this story from Michigan I've seen a while ago. It may have been a fuse or bum connector this time, but I bet the kid knows a lot more. Better to learn this than how to ace Halo 4. He's going to be fine, maybe open his own shop later in life.The social protection network there is way thinner than here.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
Not knocking the kid so much, the OP sounds scary tho! Betcha he's aced Halo 4!
--
Some hero's wear capes, mine wear combat boots.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Weird observation down here; all houses, no matter the village or poorness, are made of solid concrete with steel doors and windows. Are you listening Mattamy and Greenpark?

I saw school girls aged 7 and 9 hitchiking rides from passing vehicles alongside roads in the morning.. try this in North America kiddos.

The u.s. dollar is the currency here since 2002. I've seen $1 dollar coins I never seen in the u.s. They are small and have a dark gold color with the impression of a native indian woman carrying a baby on her back with a blanket. Why have I not seen this coin in all my travels to the U.S. but in this country they are everywhere?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Weird observation down here; all houses, no matter the village or poorness, are made of solid concrete with steel doors and windows. Are you listening Mattamy and Greenpark?

Cheap and easy to build. Paint covers a multitude of sins.

The u.s. dollar is the currency here since 2002. I've seen $1 dollar coins I never seen in the u.s. They are small and have a dark gold color with the impression of a native indian woman carrying a baby on her back with a blanket. Why have I not seen this coin in all my travels to the U.S. but in this country they are everywhere?

It's a Sacagawea dollar coin. They are popular in Ecuador, Panama and El Salvador.
--

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
I found one in my change from Loblaws some years ago. Gave it to the neighbour's kid. The US Mint has tried on a few occasions to introduce a dollar coin but all have been rejected by the US public. The reason for this is that the US Mint didn't pull the $1 greenback out of circulation. They keep making the same mistake every time. Every Roman Emperor and every European King or Queen knew that to get a new series of coins introduced the existing series must be taken out of circulation. In other words people don't like change (pun intended).

-Bob

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Are you listening Mattamy and Greenpark?

Cheap and easy to build. Paint covers a multitude of sins.

?

I know what you mean. Friends bought a house built by Greenpark and the workmanship inside was terrible. Framing was off square and not plumb. Lots of drywall issues. Once they got enough paint on it things looked much better.