lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

Hospital Stay - How Do You Protect Your Gadgets?

I'm going to be in the hospital for 3 days in about a week. I want to bring my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7 with me. What are some suggestions how to protect these items from being stolen if I leave the hospital room (which I'm going to have to - hip replacement, and they make you walk after surgery ), or have to use the bathroom (which may take some time )?

I will be the only one in the hospital room....One bed.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

Hospitals don't want you to bring them in - they don't want to be responsible for them as they really have no way to guarantee in any way they won't be stolen. Best thing you can do is get something that can be locked up and then hide that item. Hopefully no one will walk off with it.

If people see you with the gadgets - then you become more of a target.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

Damn today's technology!

Just kidding, but I have to have my tablet and phone with me during the hospital stay. 20 years ago I would have had no problems. I now have gadgetitus.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

Good luck to you lordpuffer.

I had a hip replacement 10 years ago.

Worse thing about it was the fact I had no email for 13 days.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

Thanks. I know that you went through it, but I don't look forward to the recovery process........

I think if I missed my email for a day, I'd have immediate withdrawal. I hope they have a lockable closet or bin in the room so that I can put my addiction there.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to lordpuffer

Use a travel safe and lock alarm.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to lordpuffer

I guess it depends on what kind of area the hospital is in. Is it in the heart of a high crime area or not? My wife has been in the hospital several times in past 4 years. She would take her phone & laptop with her for the stay. The laptop would go back in it's bag & placed on a table or chair when she wasn't in the room. The phone she either carried or placed in her personal drawer. We never had much worry about a nurse, doctor or worker risking their job to take her stuff nor another patient wondering in & grabbing it. To avoid worrying about visitors, we always manage to get a private room. It just comes down to trust or paranoia.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

The hospital is not in a high crime area. From past work experience, I know that sometimes the temptation to steal something is strong.

I'll probably just do the same thing as your wife did. I'm not too paranoid, just unfortunately jaded by the actions of some.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

To add: We pondered your very concern when she went in for her 1st surgery. The hospital is not equipped to address our concerns except for "take it home" or "don't bring it in". Great help; right!
My wife could not be without her email or VPN. As I posted before, we just put things away to not give anyone that overt visual temptation & then hoped for the best.

Anonymark
Premium
join:2009-11-11
Wilmington, DE

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

I was in the hospital for three days recently, and they had a touchscreen TV with internet access and a keyboard in each room. I got my E-mail and DSL Reports fix that way. I "did" use my VPN to my home server to browse through though. Might be worth calling them....

I worked in a hospital 20 years ago and was surprised how much stuff got stolen by visitors. I would really not want to bring anything...

not

@comcast.net
reply to lordpuffer

A 7" tablet and a phone is not that much stuff. Get yourself a small tote that you can put around your shoulder and carry them with you wherever you go. No one's going to look at you funny. They make small totes that are just big enough for a 7" tablet and a phone. SwissGear makes some... all zippered up with a sling, etc.

Enjoy your man purse.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to Anonymark

I was going to add that this is nothing new. But in the past they always recommended to leave watches, rings, necklaces or anything of value at home. Today it's that plus electronics.

j8e

@windstream.net
reply to lordpuffer

usually most hospitals have safes, also id recommend talking the hospitals social services department or the head nurse. ive been living 15 years in a hospital for ventilator patients. i would also recommend leaving valuables at home or with a trusted family member

wa2ibm
Premium
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

I went through the hip replacement thing a year and a half ago. Don't take your things with you when you check in. You probably won't be in your room until after surgery anyway.

Have a family member or friend bring it to your room after your surgery. As stated above, have it in a zip bag so it's all in one place and easily secreted away in the room.

I was only in the hospital for three days. Because I had help at home, they discharged me to home and the physical therapist came to me. If I hadn't had that, they would have moved me to a rehab place instead. If you go that route, then you'll have the same concerns for your equipment there.
--
- Bill

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
reply to lordpuffer

Their called books, I suggest you admit you have an addiction problem if you can't go a few days without a gadget.

If you take it and it gets stolen, well I tried to warn you.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

I just called the hospital. There is free WiFi and there is a place to lock your things in each room with a combination lock that changes after each patient.

Thanks for everyone's help. Tablet and phone come with me. I'll just keep it locked up when I'm not in the room.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

My last long term hospital stay was in the children's immune compromised ward [kid's that have sickle cell, cancers etc]/
So the traffic was pretty well controlled. Meaning you has to buzz in to get in the ward [part of that required you to state your name and patient you were seeing.
The hospital staff didn't seem all that interested in our gadgets.

This was just before the release of the Ipad. I had lugged my desktop PC into my son's room. So I could use the hospital wifi and surf the net, etc. Then I was given an Ipad for my birthday, and I used that [I lugged the desktop back home].
I would leave the Ipad in the dresser buried under some clothes, if we had to go to another part of the hospital for an X ray, MRI, or other medical procedure.
We spent about 5 months in that ward, and never had a problem with theft.

But again, that was on a controlled ward. Your area may not be so tightly screened.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
reply to lordpuffer

My father stayed in a hospital in a medium-crime area that had lockers in them. He kept his wallet and phone in there while he was out of the room. The hospital did have open wi-fi.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to lordpuffer

That's great. Sounds like a good hospital.

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to lordpuffer

A tracker will give you some peace of mind.
I use »seekdroid.com - Works wonders!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to lordpuffer

If you'd didn't ask or the hospital didn't tell you then you should find out the dimensions of the in-room safe before you check in.
--
CMKRNL

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

said by lordpuffer:

... 20 years ago I would have had no problems. I now have gadgetitus.

Use this time to go cold turkey.
--
“al-Jazeera was founded with the same goals we had for Current.”
Al Gore and Al Jezeera: like two peas in a pod.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Waldothe3rd

Another that I've used for quite a while: »www.lookout.com/features

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

Glad to hear there's a locking option. I was in the hospital a couple of months ago. I had someone bring my cell and my ereader after the surgery. I kept both in my beside table and had no issues. I could have asked to have them locked up but didn't bother.

I had to be up and moving the next day and the day after (the day I went home). However, someone would have to be waiting to sneak into the room when there's no schedule for those times.

I really only took the phone to call for a ride home. I actually gave my smart phone back to the company once I got home and managed to live without it during the weeks I was off. Time to break your electronic addiction now.

vircotto

join:2002-06-04
searching...
reply to lordpuffer

Wow, this is an eye-opener for me. A few years ago when I was caring for my father, when he was hospitalized we were told to turn off our cell phones (except in the main lobby or outside). They were paranoid about anything that might interfere with their own networked (wifi) devices.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

reply to not

said by not :

A 7" tablet and a phone is not that much stuff. Get yourself a small tote that you can put around your shoulder and carry them with you wherever you go. No one's going to look at you funny. They make small totes that are just big enough for a 7" tablet and a phone. SwissGear makes some... all zippered up with a sling, etc.

Enjoy your man purse.

that doesn't help when you go into surgery....

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to lordpuffer

Best advice, don't bring them...
Have someone who is visiting you bring them and take them home every day.

NEVER LET THEM OUT OF YOUR SIGHT!!!!

I speak from experience....

We bought my mother a laptop when she was confined to a nursing home, she had the ONLY key to her nightstand and we locked it up every day.

She kept the key on her wrist, on an elastic cord...

One night while she was sleeping, a temporary nurse at the home, removed the key while she slept and STOLE the laptop, we never saw it again.
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

What happened to the "temporary nurse"?

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to JRW2

And you have proof this person took it?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

said by lordpuffer:

I'm going to be in the hospital for 3 days in about a week. I want to bring my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7 with me. What are some suggestions how to protect these items from being stolen if I leave the hospital room (which I'm going to have to - hip replacement, and they make you walk after surgery ), or have to use the bathroom (which may take some time )?

I will be the only one in the hospital room....One bed.

Best advice? Don't take them. You won't need them, for one thing, because you will be recovering from your surgery (general anesthetic recovery is not immediate) and having therapy. This ain't a hotel (OK, you are paying Waldorf rates for a Super 8 motel room). When you get home you will have several weeks of therapy (my wife does this for a living) and may still be on painkillers and feel like crap.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.