share rss forum feed

Hardcore
The Sausage King
Premium
join:2002-08-23
Albany, GA
kudos:1

[RANT] Home Networking Shut Off - ANGRY

This is ridiculous. When you shut off the wireless, you actually shut off the ROUTER. I want to thank you, Mediacom, for once again giving me another reason to quit you as soon as SOMETHING ELSE gets here. I'm actually considering satellite right now, I'm so desperate.

When you work, you work. But when you do crap like this - it INFURIATES me. I wake up to find my router, that YOU provided, resetting itself. Okay, I can handle the wireless being turned off. Sort of. The family whines and my PS3 isn't connected, but meh. But then you just shut off EVERYTHING on the router. Only my PC works. My 360, which is HARDWIRED, by the way, doesn't work. I can't even access the WEB INTERFACE for the router anymore. Oh, rage, how I know thee...

You want to nickel and dime us. Not for much longer.
--
De Colores!

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

That's why I always get my own equipment as much as possible. No combo or network controlled devices

That sux though, heard that Time Warner also charges extra for WIFI as well. A business is in business to make money but damn talk about cash grab!

Hardcore
The Sausage King
Premium
Albany, GA
reply to Hardcore

The excuse they gave for the forced increase was dumb - because people needed help with networking. Well, if that's the case, charge those people! Not those of us who actually KNOW what they're doing.

I'm going to get my own equipment soon. Then I'm dumping that Home Networking back in their lap.
--
De Colores!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103
reply to Hardcore

If you have a modem/router combo and do not subscribe to the home networking service, then the wireless service and router functions should have been disabled all along. If this wasn't and it has been working but has now stopped, it would mean the system scan has modified these devices to disable the radio function. This would be similar to having a DVR box but not paying for DVR service. We aren't going to force you to swap boxes out (unless we are short stocked) but we will disable the DVR function unless it is paid for. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. If you would like to add the service to your account, it is $3.95/month.
--
MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

chad the problem is there should not be a fee in the first place that wireless modem costs no more to provide than a regular modem. it gets old with mediacom always adding fees. Mediacom does not post rates on there website which is stupid.

lhollow

join:2010-12-02
IL

said by GLIMMER:

chad the problem is there should not be a fee in the first place that wireless modem costs no more to provide than a regular modem.

Looking at Amazon, a Motorola DOCSIS 3 wireless gateway modem costs about $50 more than a plain DOCSIS 3 modem.

They can sell the added features to a lot of people who just want things to work. People who are willing to learn how to set up a wireless gateway and cable modem can save a few dollars per month, but they have to maintain their own equipment.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to MediacomChad

nm

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to lhollow

do you think mediacom really pays retail for modems? the cisco junk there using is just that junk. you cant look at retail as we both know mediacom is getting huge discounts on modems. Hince why they only support there modems they will sell you one for a huge profit or rent you one for a huge profit. Plain and simple mediacom is a anti customer company.

Hardcore
The Sausage King
Premium
Albany, GA

I don't see them as anti-customer as much as I see them as anti-competition. Mediacom is my only choice, and if you'll look through my history, I've had my share of problems with them. I've even called the BBB on them, but now I have no real issues with the service. Today angered me because I was promised something from a certain Mediacom employee, they failed on that promise, and I woke up to none of my networked devices working.
--
De Colores!

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

Just get your own modem and a router. Also I can tell you while obviously Mediacom is a for profit company there are a lot of people who are completely clueless and have no idea how to set up their wireless networking.

I have seen trouble calls set up for a customer owned router. A lot of trouble calls that should have never been setup in the first place. This is due to poor customer service but it costs money so they have to make money somewhere else
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

brandon
Some truth included in this post.
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Hurley, MS
reply to Hardcore

I had the same issue awhile back. I was given a modem/wireless router combo from mediacom, and knew that they charged a fee for wireless networking, so I asked that the wireless not be charged to my account and I wouldn't use it (had my own WAP).

Mediacomchad then walked me through how to get around the "Home Networking" interface at 192.168.0.1 by going to 192.168.0.100 and I was able to use the 4 port switch and set up my network to my liking, which I thought was perfectly acceptable (nowhere did it say I couldn't use networking, just WIRELESS networking).

And then a couple of months later, I could no longer use the 4 port switch at all. Only one PC could get an IP at a time, and it was the public IP. So I had to go out and purchase a new router with a 4 port switch in it, even though I have a cable modem sitting there with 3 empty ports. Mediacomchad then told me I was never supposed to be able to use the networking part of the router, even though it was he who walked me through how to use it.

It's just stupid to annoy your customers like that. Figure out a way to disable wireless without disabling NAT altogether.