share rss forum feed

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

[iPhone] Next iPhone revision?

Anyone know when the next version of the iPhone will be released? I ask because my upgrade cycle with Verizon is up in mid-March, and the selection of basic phones is pathetic... that plus the fact that it's probably time to move to a smartphone with all it's features.

I'm undecided as to the iPhone vs Android. The iPhone is competitively priced for what it is, and has great hardware and a solid, stable OS (though starting to feel a bit dated).

Android is all over the board, as there are many makers. It's not as elegant as an iPhone, but integrates well with Google's services (of which I'm now a pretty heavy user). Android would play right into those services.

I've got some time to think it over and research... and thought I would start here. Is there any timeframe for the next iPhone... and any ideas what the next iOS might include that would help sway my decision one way or the other?

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

I guess as a follow-up... is there even a reason to wait for iPhone 6? In the middle of March, iPhone 5 will still be the released version, so why not look at that as the potential candidate.

I guess when it boils down to it... it's really about an overall choice of iOS vs Android. Given that this is an Apple-centric forum... why (or why not) would iOS be a better choice over Android? I'm not looking to start a flame war on this... I'm really mulling my choices before I commit to an ecosystem.

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA
reply to SwedishRider

if you have other iOS devices or a Mac... its a no brainer...they all play together nicely...
--
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!!"

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

I am betting the next one will probably be around July.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to BuckarooB

said by BuckarooB:

if you have other iOS devices or a Mac... its a no brainer...they all play together nicely...

That's the beauty of iOS actually... and that is it well written for the hardware it's used on.

I'm currently on Win7, but I used to be a Mac guy. I got fed up when Apple dumped MobileMe for iCloud and my Mac was 4-5 years old and one generation out of date to use iCloud (which has services I used to pay a yearly fee for). I really liked my Mac... but I cant justify dropping that kind of money that soon over and over to keep using services I depend on.

In any case... I'd probably use Google as my sync point given that I migrated to Google's services. How does the iPhone work with Google syncing?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to ilikeme

And speculation is that it may be a major update, not merely a 5s.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SwedishRider

I used iphone 5 as my daily driver for the last 2 months and i'm back to android.
The only things i liked about ios was when i opened a new app it asked me if i wanted to allow push notifications for it. In android you have to go to settings. Next thing i liked was icloud. Using a ipad 4 and iphone 5 worked nicely with icloud photo stream but music was a pain in the ass to sync as it had to be manually downloaded from the purchased tab. It's also really annoying that icloud doesn't backup and apps over 50mb can't be downloaded over 3G. I kept the lte ipad in my car the entire time and couldn't update the apps due to lack of wifi (only when i brought it in the house to charge every few days). No such restriction on android. You have a lot more freedom to do whatever you want.

Lastly, I liked facetime. I used it a lot to talk to family and it worked better than skype/google talk over 3G.

Other than that android is better. I really can't think of anything else that I thought was better on ios.

Obviously Google services are superior on android except for maps which is the best looking app i've ever used.

Back to android now. i5 given to family member and ipad returned because i found it to be too heavy and thick. Will buy ipad 5 just because of facetime/imessage.
My criteria for a phone in 2013 has changed from specs to battery life. I'm tired of living in paranoia about the battery when i'm going out. Will buy the next flagship motorola phone.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Alcohol:

I used iphone 5 as my daily driver for the last 2 months and i'm back to android.
The only things i liked about ios was when i opened a new app it asked me if i wanted to allow push notifications for it. In android you have to go to settings. Next thing i liked was icloud. Using a ipad 4 and iphone 5 worked nicely with icloud photo stream but music was a pain in the ass to sync as it had to be manually downloaded from the purchased tab. It's also really annoying that icloud doesn't backup and apps over 50mb can't be downloaded over 3G. I kept the lte ipad in my car the entire time and couldn't update the apps due to lack of wifi (only when i brought it in the house to charge every few days). No such restriction on android. You have a lot more freedom to do whatever you want.

Lastly, I liked facetime. I used it a lot to talk to family and it worked better than skype/google talk over 3G.

Other than that android is better. I really can't think of anything else that I thought was better on ios.

Obviously Google services are superior on android except for maps which is the best looking app i've ever used.

Back to android now. i5 given to family member and ipad returned because i found it to be too heavy and thick. Will buy ipad 5 just because of facetime/imessage.
My criteria for a phone in 2013 has changed from specs to battery life. I'm tired of living in paranoia about the battery when i'm going out. Will buy the next flagship motorola phone.

Very interesting. Thank you for the feedback. I am considering the galaxy S3 (or S4) as an alternate. I had a Droid 3 with physical keyboard some time ago, and I liked the keyboard, but the camera was crummy and the software was buggy. I have heard that the S3 does not suffer from the same problems.

On the other hand, I know 2 people personally who have the iPhone 5 and love it. One is a Win7 user, and the other uses Macs, so they come from different camps, but both are sold on iOS over Android. I had an iPod Touch for some time and really liked it, but unloaded it some time ago when I migrated to the D3.

Interesting....

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

Iphone will be 6 months old in march which is why i wouldn't recommend it. You'd pay the same subsidized price for a 2013 phone.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Alcohol:

Iphone will be 6 months old in march which is why i wouldn't recommend it. You'd pay the same subsidized price for a 2013 phone.

I agree somewhat, but realistically, won't the new iPhone be out sometime in the fall... probably September or October? That's a pretty long time to wait it out I think.

If it was a month or two... that's different. but we're talking half a year...

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

Top Android phones should be out march-june.

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to SwedishRider

I've used both starting iPhone and Android with Gingerbread all the way through to Jelly Bean. I just recently switched back to an iPhone from a Galaxy Nexus and it was really a toss up between the iPhone 5 and the S3. I honestly can't say one is better than the other, it just all comes down to personal preference. If you are going with Android you need to get a top end device. If you end up with one of the cheapo $50 Android specials you will just hate it. I think with Verizon that is probably going to be the S3 but there might be an HTC device out there too like the DNA that might be worth looking into.

I'm married to Google for everything and found that while the integration is alright, it's way better on an Android device. As far as waiting, you are damned if you do damned if you don't regardless of an Android or iPhone. Once you buy there will always be something better on it's way. Android is probably worse since there are so many players shooting for that top device that you see a lot of high end phones come out. It doesn't help when Google announces a new Nexus device either.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

My wife uses a Mac, and will most likely be going the route of the iPhone 5 when upgrade time arrives in March. In reality, I would probably be better off following her lead as I could use Facetime, iMessage, etc., across both with minimal hassle. If I got the S3, and she got the iPhone 5, it would work obviously, but be a much less elegant solution than just getting 2 iPhones and being done with it.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to SwedishRider

The iPhone is the only Apple device in my home. I am really considering the S3, although that won't be for another year and a half, so there's still a lot that can change.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL
reply to SwedishRider

There will be a new Samsung Galaxy-series phone this year presumably too. I am currently using a Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon and I adore it. It comes highly recommended from me. I think you'll find a lot of us Mac people actually enjoy our Android phones a lot.
--
Fairy Blessings,
Stefanie

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SwedishRider

I've been a Mac user for many years now. Had the original 2G phone all the way to the 4. I have 2 macs at home (no Windows), iPods, iPad2 and an Apple TV. To say I am/was in the Apple world is an understatement. HOwever, last June I was getting a bit tired of iOS. My iPhone was a 16 gig and was running out of space. I decided to go with a Galaxy SIII. From the moment I got it, I was hooked. I don't "root" so it's just stock and now it is updated to Jelly Bean 4.1.1.
The only thing I do miss is the easy streaming of music, for example, from my iPhone to my Apple TV. However, in the end, it doesn't matter for me anymore. I have my iPad which I still love and my Macs are all connected to my home network. I still think the Apple hardware is better but that is somewhat subjective. I was in an AT&T store a couple of weeks ago and saw the iPhone 5 and it just seems too small and not wide enough. Samsung definitely has a winner with the Galaxy S3

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 edit

Very invested in Apple stuff myself. I've had the iP3G, 4, 4S, an iPad 2, Apple TV, untold number of iPods and now a Mac mini. One of my sons has a 4S. Love them all. But, when my contract on my 4S is up I'm thinking about something else. My other son has the S3 and it's one nice phone. I agree, the integration I have with the 4S is nice but iOS is feeling tired to me and the latest version just has too many faults.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

Huh... interesting. Seems many of you who are invested to some degree in Apple products either have left the iPhone for Android, or are seriously considering it once your upgrade cycle is up. That's kind of surprising actually.... but maybe it speaks to bigger issues with what's going on (or not going on) with Apple lately.

Hmmm....

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

I have had an iPhone and I currently have a GSIII. I think the GSIII is far superior to the iPhone. I use Amazon cloud services. I think it is much easier to use than iTunes. I'm sure some of my bias against the iPhone came about because of AT&Ts crappy phone network. I couldn't make (many) phone calls with the iPhone. I have yet to try an iPhone on Verizon or Sprint in my area. I have had friends tell me their coverage is decent.

I'm not opposed to getting an iPhone sometime in the future. It probably depends on what a new revision offers. Currently my preference is for Samsung's GSIII.

I don't know if it's Apple doing things wrong necessarily but Samsung is making some very good products.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to SwedishRider

I got the iPhone 5 and just switched over to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. So far I love my android more than I ever loved my iPhone. Many, many, many more features and overall its just better IMO
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to SwedishRider

To answer your question.
Nobody knows for sure when or, what the next iPhone will be.
The iPhone 5 is the current offering, and it's a great smartphone that should please most people.
Should you wait for the next version? You can play that game till infinity. Buy the product that would serve you best NOW, not being worried about what it's going to do in the future.
Are the Galaxy phones better than the iPhone 5, NO ... they are different , but that doesn't make them better by default.
Is the iPhone 5 better than the Galaxy phones, NO ... it's just different .
Both products are great smartphones that do what they do very well. This basically makes "Better" & "Best" personal preference. What's going to fit your lifestyle the best, form factor, availability of apps & accessories.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

Makes sense to me.
Never understood the fuss over these phones. People actually getting upset over this.
Never cared what cell phone someone buys.
You just buy what you like and enjoy.
The guys I work with has iPhone 5 and 4s,a few GS3s,a couple of guys even still use those old clam shell phones. Some types in between. A guy on midnight shift has the big galaxy phone with the AT&T grandfathered unlimited..
No big deal.
Everyone gets along. Don't criticize one anther's cell phone.
iPhone 5 and GS3 are fine. Depends on what works for you.

I've owned the Apple stock from around $6 to just over $701. All of those years and I purchased my first apple product in 1997 I think.
For me profit is more interesting.
And price. I'm enjoying my $56/mo. AT&T IPhone 5 LTE and $30/mo IPad 4 LTE grandfathered unlimited.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

I'm not upset about anything. Both are capable phones and I'm glad to hear opinions and reviews from folks who are using these devices everyday.

This decision is a relatively big one. Instead of buying just a phone, one is buying into an ecosystem that makes jumping from platform to platform unattractive if large app investments are made. The same goes for e-readers. You are buying into an ecosystem that supports that device with content that is typically locked to that ecosystem.

As The Eagles would say," You can check out anytime you like, but you may never leave."

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL

Most apps are only a few dollars, if not 99 cents or free. Most people can switch ecosystems for well under $100 and compared to what we pay for these devices, that is pocket change. I still have my iPad and use those apps I bought on it.
--
Fairy Blessings,
Stefanie

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to SwedishRider

You know how emotional some can get over this subject.

Since I've owned an apple product I haven't spent over $100 on apps. The most important apps like finance and company jetnet was free.
Most expensive apps were Slingplayer and a GPS app.
Always bought mp3 songs on Amazon but I hear you can play songs from iTunes on any device now.
I don't buy movies and tv shows but I rent.
Don't have any real ties to the ecosystem.

The only thing I can think of is that I don't want to learn another device.
Especially if I have no issues with what I have.

Now if you have a large family in this ecosystem it can be messy i guess.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to SwedishRider

Here's the latest roundup of rumors for ya!

»www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5s-rel···3-report
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

Doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't they discount the iphone 4 or 4s instead of launching a new phone. Iphone 4 can easily be manufactured for under $300. Look at nexus 4. It's better than iphone 5 and it costs $299.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
reply to SwedishRider

said by SwedishRider:

As The Eagles would say," You can check out anytime you like, but you may never leave."

Actually "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to SwedishRider

said by SwedishRider:

I'm not upset about anything. Both are capable phones and I'm glad to hear opinions and reviews from folks who are using these devices everyday.

This decision is a relatively big one. Instead of buying just a phone, one is buying into an ecosystem that makes jumping from platform to platform unattractive if large app investments are made. The same goes for e-readers. You are buying into an ecosystem that supports that device with content that is typically locked to that ecosystem.

Right - My existing apps purchases are the biggest barrier for me going with an Android phone. I have a lot invested into my iTunes music organization as well. Losing support of iTunes gapless playback tags (which unfortunately are not the same as LAME gapless tags) would be quite disastrous for me.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT

Keep the iPhone as an iPod and get a new phone. That's what I plan on doing when the Galaxy S4 is released.