join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

How to stop VoIP robocaller whores? FTC offers $50k reward

News story excerpts:

The agency receives more than 200,000 complaints a month about the prerecorded messages....

Last year, the FTC shut down one serial dialer called Asia Pacific, which, in an 18-month period, made more than 2.5 billion robocalls in the US....

Voice over Internet Protocol, VoIP, has offered robocallers a cheap way to reach tens of millions of American consumers and stay offshore. So, the FTC is challenging innovators to find a solution. It's offering $50,000 to the individual or small company that presents the technology that will enable consumers or telecoms to block the assault of unwanted robocalls....

MORE:
»nepr.net/news/ftc-offers-50000-r···obocalls

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Antar
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

I wonder if my simple but efficient solution is eligible for the $50,000 reward. Press 1 to ring my phone, press 2 for voicemail.
--
My VoIP News

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River

Hey, you never know.

Submit an application, deadline is in a few days!

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Thanks PX for the article.

Bots and dialers are very annoying.

On a side note, VoIP.ms does terminate this type of account quickly when they pop up in our monitoring systems.

Also, at the bottom of our registration form:

quote:
[x] I certify that I will not use VoIP.ms termination (outbound) services for telemarketing purposes (Including, but not limited to Automated Dialers, Call Centers and collection agencies).

I'm guessing other respectable VoIP providers are also doing their part in this. However, I personally know many dialer friendly providers.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to PX Eliezer7

NM.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to PX Eliezer7

Martin, I wish you guys would consider my request to add a feature to the CDR to be able to right click on an item (or a radio button within the displayed item) to quickly add the number to the Filter / block list.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to MartinM

said by MartinM:

I'm guessing other respectable VoIP providers are also doing their part in this. However, I personally know many dialer friendly providers.

Oh, indeed.

Call centers and predictive dialers, we have your solution! Our dialer rate deck offers low rates for your short duration calls. We aggregate the top carriers in one competitive and easy to use product, in turn creating route diversity and the best call completion in the industry. If you operate a predictive dialer, call center, telemarketing, or mass communication company, this is the answer for you!

Access to over 500,000 DIDs in over 8,500 rate centers (US and Canada destinations)

Don't be fooled by other SIP providers. We have over 163,000 NPA-NXX. What good is a VOIP Trunk If you can’t call anyone?

»robodialer.net/SIP.aspx

The InPhonex Bulk Plans allow Telemarketing firms to connect your SIP-based phones, adaptors and softphones directly to InPhonex or to your conventional PBX and then to the InPhonex VoIP network.

»www.inphonex.com/services/voip-t···firm.php

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3
reply to Springbok

said by Springbok:

Martin, I wish you guys would consider my request to add a feature to the CDR to be able to right click on an item (or a radio button within the displayed item) to quickly add the number to the Filter / block list.

Certainly, I'll get it released this week. Sorry PX didn't mean to hijack thread at all.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

Sven Bjork

@dfri.se
reply to PX Eliezer7

Use whitelisting. My phone never rings unless it is somebody I want to hear from.

And the IVR requires the caller to press 7 if he wants to leave a message, so robo-calls do not clog up my voicemail.

rollerblader7

join:2004-01-11
Burlington, ON

Ditto Sven's comments re whitelisting and IVR. Works very well on voip.ms. We haven't had a telemarketer call in over 2 years. Very pleased. Much easier to maintain than a blacklist as time goes on.

I drafted up a response to this FTC challenge using this technique, but it turns out you have to be an American to submit it. I'm not. So, if someone wants to write up something, have at it.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River

The official site for entries....

»robocall.challenge.gov/

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Sven Bjork

said by Sven Bjork :

Use whitelisting. My phone never rings unless it is somebody I want to hear from.

And the IVR requires the caller to press 7 if he wants to leave a message, so robo-calls do not clog up my voicemail.

+1. This is exactly what I do. Blacklisting is close to worthless.

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·callwithus
·CenturyLink
·Clear Wireless
reply to PX Eliezer7

The solution that worked for our business is........

"IVR GREETING".... Thank you for calling. One moment while your call is transferred to an agent...... Queue hold music. It only wastes 10 seconds of legit caller time.. Most of our annoyance calls went the heck away. We get solicitors, but usually they are quite specific and reference something I did inquire about.

gbh2o

join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC

2 edits
reply to PX Eliezer7

[flippant comment deleted] !!!!

I decided that my off-hand comment was in bad taste and in fear that someone would take my suggestion seriously.

Especially since 'Rachael' and friends are only daily callers to my POTS line...

Seneca

@ccc.de
reply to JoeSchmoe007

This thread is a good lesson on the value of an IVR. Trying to filter the
rubbish without one is like being a one-legged man in an ass-kicking
contest.