Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO

Re: An iPhone Lover's Confession: I Switched To The Nexus 4

How is your phone, having these issues, making Android far from "solid"?

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Cheese:

How is your phone, having these issues, making Android far from "solid"?

No he does have a point there have been many badly implemented Android phones and guess he got one... yes in Android you do need to do some homework... and not just blind buy you can with Apple if you accept the limitations that go along with that.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
I can understand that lot of unpredictability problems may come form app developers (often amateurs or hobbyists), and it creates such environment, that you can't rely on them... I could understand that. But my examples above contains OS design features (cleaning cache, full memory cleanup from exited apps, reliable wake up apps on networking events, getting network connection fast to WiFi spot, speed up calculating GPS locations for other apps, battery management, etc - it's all features, provided by OS), that makes the Android far from "solid" as a platform. It will require a lot of work (and time) to make it "solid", I guess...

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Sorry but the OS design feature, such as the GPS and WI-FI, sounds like your phone, not the OS.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Connection to WiFi is basic networking feature, provided by OS for all apps. The same is GSP. It's, if you will, a HAL, used by all apps. Battery management is in that category too, as well as memory management (and cache in particular)...

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by OZO:

Connection to WiFi is basic networking feature, provided by OS for all apps. The same is GSP. It's, if you will, a HAL, used by all apps. Battery management is in that category too, as well as memory management (and cache in particular)...

OK the ponder me this....

I have been after a local WiFi provider to replace its router because it has had multiple connection issues over the last year or so in a variety of ways most recently just randomly dropping connection.

My ASUS Transformer is very aggressive about reconnection though I have seen it flash on and off... My iPod just gives up and dropped much faster and frequently.

Again CACHE is another thing, never really an issue on the Transformer since it has a pretty huge 32 GB internal to deal with and latter Android OS not a fixed area for Apps (a big limitation of 2.x devices) but not an issue since ICS (4.x and 3.x only existed briefly for the tab market) it will dynamically use available storage any way it can. Some basic phones are still very limited though.... again bad phone design not OS issue.

YOU NEED TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK vs just don't want to think about it or possibilities iOS... no matter how fancy a device it the same limited crap... OK works well but how about capability?
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

It's not a faulty WiFi router. I'm watching the problem with establishing connections (see above) all the time when I come to work, to home, to other hot spots... It "may" connect as soon as I came. Or I have to wake up phone just to to see it's starting making connection. If I don't do that I may check in router that phone is not connected for a while... Why??? That experience is based on many observations...

I'm glad that your Transformer has huge (32 GiB) internal memory and you don't see cache freeing (you don't have to do it manually).problems, that I've described. I have device with considerably smaller memory and see that problem quite often. And BTW, I did my homework and found out the solution - clean up cache manually... and not to wait until OS will finally do its job as it should.

And I did my homework with configuring GPS, using gps.conf file. I made many different configuration changes (back and force) and conducted many tests here and there and I may assure you that there is nothing I can do more at this time, but watch and just wait... It has downloaded A-GPS data and withmore then 10 well positioned satellites connected to it device may stay in "Looking for GPS position" for a long, long while...

BTW, why "YOU NEED TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK" is considered a good thing, when someone uses Android OS?

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by OZO:

BTW, why "YOU NEED TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK" is considered a good thing, when someone uses Android OS?

Well like I said I am having the OPPOSITE problem with my iPod Touch.

As I said that it the cost of diversity... its not free of issues, again mostly manufacturers cutting corners not the Android OS.
Nor is sociology for that matter... didn't move to Key West for an EASY thing....took learning and being here, but that the social BS of this country, and again the Republicans din't get why they so lost...alienating everyone but rich white guys and PARTICULARLY WOMEN. (Sorry guys more women voters, and now another thing this time around more women in Congress than ever not just the good ol' boys)

You can have a rock solid VERY LIMITED OS like iOS or you can have a RICH OS like Android you might have to pay some attention to, and study the hardware you are considering.

Again you want to be mindless, and VERY restricted use the Apple is the way to go.

And then Apple had their little hell... of rushed OS6 to hissy fit ditch Google Maps just fone the first 5... and what did they release CrApple maps that would tell you anything but where you are or what is around you... and why I have not updated to current Toch to OS6 unless you have something that can even come close to Google maps.

Like I said today vs when I got the Touch, and really just before Android took off I would never own one.

Again BOTTOM LINE is CrApple or Freedom and a little effort to have it? As our founders said actually freedom is a right but requires diligence to preserve!!!

And for those that might say how much I edit... well there are these things called after thoughts (before reply) and the spell check missed spelling errors not caught by the one here pretty good but contextually hardly stellar one.
Hayward0

1 edit

Hayward0 to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

And I did my homework with configuring GPS, using gps.conf file. I made many different configuration changes (back and force) and conducted many tests here and there and I may assure you that there is nothing I can do more at this time

Well again maybe a device failure??? Most of the time I keep it disabled after 18 yearss on a 1.5x4mi island I petty much know where I am and even with GPS (to the point) turned off just by WiFi hot spot how accurate it is about where eaxtly I am is sort of scary...thank you HMS.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

And yet again, went over your head. If your GPS is taking 5-10 min to lock on, there is a PROBLEM with YOUR phone. That's NOT the OS.

This is very simple to understand. I don't HAVE these problems you say are part of the OS.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to OZO

MVM

to OZO
said by OZO:

It has nothing to do with the android OS, it has everything to do with having choices.

IOS based phones come in one flavor/configuration - iphone, built by one manufacturer.

Android based phones are built by a number of manufacturers at varying price points and physical configurations.

You don't need to "do your homework" when buying an iphone because aside of either buying an older iphone or newer model, you're done.

I like having choice. That in and of itself would suggest that choosing with due diligence would be a "good thing" to do.