share rss forum feed

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..

2 edits

Do you have to get the 305 mbs plan to have no data cap?

If so that sucks, because I have no ldea how much I use. I know it's about 80-100gb a week possibly more. I used so much on Verizon they throttled me. ( TWC cable issue)

I am moving into a Comcast only area so I will only have TWC for a few month's longer.

If they are still caped how much data is it? I would be willing to do the 105/20 plan if it had a high cap 600GB+.

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked all ready, I don't know much about Comcast never used them before because TWC is only "good" ISP in my area I am at now.

Donut

join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
Right now Comcast suspended the cap. Comcast is moving to Caps and Overage model. 300GB is the lowest the cap will be. There is talk that more expensive service tiers will have a higher cap. If you go over the cap it will be $10 for every 50GB.
--
Mr. Donut

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
Only 300gb?

Now I am going to have too pay 300 a month for no cap or good cap. That's messed up. Look's like I will be getting a Verizon 4g lte booster and paying 2-4 times more for internet with a cap. Internet is going to cost me in the sticks, at lest there will be no more 60% packet loss.

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX
Just go with business class. There are no stated caps but you will have a contract with an ETF.

RokHed

join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ
reply to why60loss
Comcast Business class. Last Time I looked it was appx 10-20 bux more a month.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to why60loss
Every tier will have a cap on residential service once Comcast finishes their "testing". As of now the cap is suspended in most areas. When it's reinstated 300GB will likely be the lowest cap and it will go up from there.

Don't count on getting 600GBs though.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ExoticFish:

Every tier will have a cap on residential service

Except res. 305. I also doubt Comcast will implement a cap in areas that have uncapped FiOS competition or a cable over builder such as RCN.

Or course above is not the case for most of NC.

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
I am moving to Madison height's, VA with the 24572 zip code. So no more living in NC for me.

They are the only game in town and I put in the street address, It said I could get the 20,50 and 105 plan's but did not list the 305. Does the mean I have to call in for it or I just can't get it there.

I really just don't want a cap I would use in possibly a few day's with steam, netfilx, youtube, online gaming and more. I download a good bit as well. So that's why I would want a bigger cap.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
Simply get business class, it will be cheaper in the long run.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

why60loss

Will they even hook that up to a house?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
Yes

why60loss

1 edit
If I wanted the 305 plan, would I have to call in to find out if they can hook that up or will the web site tell me?

Thank's

The business class may work for me as well I guess. Looking into it now

NO_CAPS

@comcast.net
reply to why60loss
At this time Comcast only has caps for residential customers in the Nashville, TN and Tucson, AZ areas. The Nashville cap is a flat 300GB, and I think that the Tucson cap is a graduated cap that starts at 300GB for the lower speed tiers.

If you are moving to one of those areas, you might want to consider getting business class service instead of residential service. Business class service is not capped. You can view the current prices/tiers at: »business.comcast.com/smb/service···et/plans

Eventually all residential customers will likely have capped service, but how that will look is anyone's guess (that is what the two trial areas are supposed to determine). If you are not moving to one of their cap trial areas, you should be safe to go ahead and get whatever residential speed tier that seems to fit your needs. When caps are eventually activated for all residential customers, you can always sign up for business class service at that time.

OTOH, there are a couple compelling reasons (for some users) to get business class service even if you are not living in one of the cap test areas.

1. If you need static IPv4 addresses, only business class can provide that.

2. Generally, the customer support is better and there is a different support center with a special business class number to call for support. If on-site support is needed, it is usually available same day, 24/7 (as opposed to having to wait several days for a service appointment).

However, there are currently a few disadvantages for business class customers.

1. You can only use one of their leased gateway "modems", or a Motorola SB612x series modem.

2. If you use their leased gateway modem (which is required for static IP accounts), Comcast does not currently support IPv6.

3. Business class requires a one to three year contract with a hefty ETF, and there is also a "professional installation" fee to set the service up (although some have reported being able to bargain the install fee away).

why60loss

It look's like business class will not even take the address. But yet just Comcast will. Does this mean they won't do it there or that it's just a error?

NO_CAPS

@comcast.net
said by why60loss:

It look's like business class will not even take the address. But yet just Comcast will. Does this mean they won't do it there or that it's just a error?

When I signed up for my business class account a couple of years ago, there was no provision for signing up on the web site. You either called the sales number on the web page, or you put your name and call back number into an on-line form and waited for a call back. I did the latter, and the call back was within a couple of minutes.

Perhaps the ability to signup on-line for business class is something new and just doesn't work properly yet. I guess that it is possible that Comcast is no longer allowing business class service to be installed at a residential address, but that has not been their policy in the past. My service is at a residential address, and while I do run a home based business, that was not a requirement at the time I signed up for service.

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
Well it look's like I will have to call in for the 305 or business class. What is Comcast in the dark ages or something?

I hope that I don't feel the need to pay for the 305 or my Dad would be so pissed for having internet more than 10x faster than his with out costing 10x more.

Thanks for the business class idea, that seem's like a good way to save money for a unlimited user like me or high data user like me. I have unlimited data on my two smart phones and home internet so I have never really had to deal with a hard cap before. Ok 56k day's I did, but then I got unlimited and well then went to cable that has always been unlimited. So this cap for home ISP is new to me and I am glad there seems to be a way around it.

Thanks to all posters.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by why60loss:

Well it look's like I will have to call in for the 305 or business class. What is Comcast in the dark ages or something?

For 305 they have to do a site survey as they will likely be doing a fair bit of fiber construction.

I will say that 305 service is pretty awesome compared to anything offered on coax.

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
The house is on a 1-1,5 acre lot so yes I am sure they would. I think there is a possibly it may fail the site survey if it's to far away from the road.

My Verizon bud and just about every one I know would be pissed at me if I managed to get and pay for a 305 connection. I had all ways wanted FIO's, so I am leaning a bit for the 305 idea Vs business class.

Has any one signed up for the 305 had any support issues or speed issues? Like is there any thing I should know before I try that way?

Thanks and the 305 sounds awesome wish it was not so costly.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by why60loss:

Has any one signed up for the 305 had any support issues or speed issues? Like is there any thing I should know before I try that way?

Thanks and the 305 sounds awesome wish it was not so costly.

With a lot that big, are you sure you can even get Comcast cable to begin with?

Yes, I have 305 »Getting 305/65

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..

1 edit
Yes It will, I have put the address online and can get the 20,50 and 105 plan's. Comcast Tv was in the house at one point I think as well. The web site even showed me a link to this:»www.comcast.com/ned-305 after putting the address in. I know they may not be able to run it to the house or it may be a mistake all together, but at lest I have a shot.

edit: That is cool as mess, even with the 500 start up fee. I just don't care for the 3 year contract with 1k ETF. Oh well it's still cool and if I can fit it in my finances safely I may do it. I will just need to see how every thing works out after I move.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to why60loss
dont move to the sticks if interent is that important.

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
How about free house then to make up the cost. Yea I think paying more for internet is a lot better than a 1100 a month for a house that can only get TWC, poorer Verizon 4G LTE and is smaller/ smaller lot. If I have to pay 250 more for unlimited internet so be it and it would be cool as mess. I would always host online games for sure with no more lag. (Ok that's not 100% true, but you get it.)

At home I am at it's over 100 a month for the 50/5 yes just 5 up load you time warner pricks. I stick to the 10/1 plan because I don't trust them to give me that speed. If I pay 100 a month for internet then I better be getting 100mbs down load and more than just 5 up. My Verizon 4G phone does more than 5 up you time warner pricks.

Ok end of TWC hate

It's not really that much in the stick's, it's a joke I made out of a youtube commenter posting I must be living in the sticks not to get 4G LTE on Verizon to work right, Video:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgDnByyo0tw

That razr was 100% junk, but any way.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

Look, when you move out to the sticks, there are positives and negatives. You can generally get a bigger home for less money, than closer to a or in a populated city. But, you give up certain amenities. There are less commercial choices in general. There arent as many restraunts, as many stores, or in this case, as many internet providers.

I am not saying you are right or wrong for your decision. I am just saying, when you move to a certain area, make sure you have the correct expectataions. There are dozens upon dozens of threads here that claim "hey, my cable provider wont build out to my area, even though I am 6 miles from the closest house" (exag, but you get the point)

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
I know that, but there web site say's the street address of the house I would be moving into is able to get internet packages all the way up to at lest the 105 so I think 89 for the 105/20 kicks the crap out of 50/5 for 99 dollars. ( Yes I know it go's up to 114.99 after 6 months, but you get the point.)

I will likely have to call them soon to make sure that they can put cable down to the house. If the 305 some how made it to the house that would be cool as mess.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
Service may be available to the driveway but if this new house is set far back on that 1.5 acre lot, you may run into problems.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ExoticFish:

Service may be available to the driveway but if this new house is set far back on that 1.5 acre lot, you may run into problems.

This was my thought too. Do you know how far the house is set back from the road? Do the current residents have cable?

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
The home looked to be about a 100ft away, but I will have to check again next time I go to look at it.

I think they had cable before, but then went to a dish based thing due to cost. I really can't ask them any thing now for they have passed away.

There are higher end homes in the area with 5-10 acre's who get Comcast so I don't think it should be an issue. I could be mistaken.

At lest I have my unlimited 4G phone if all else fails with unlimited tethering package. I can get about 25/25 with it on the top floor and I may buy a booster if I think I need it, but I hope it won't come to that, because I know I can't really use more than about 10GB a day if that.

It's a inherence that I can only get if I move in and live in the house. Should have said that before and I am not even 100% sure it will work out.

why60loss

reply to why60loss
What number should I call for business class and for the 305 plan?

Thanks

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by why60loss:

Not sure about business class but for 305 residential, I opened a ticket in the Comcast Direct Forum.

You will need a site-survey for it so you will want to do this once you have already moved in.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to why60loss
said by why60loss:

Thanks

From the Business Class web site at »business.comcast.com/smb/service···et/plans I can see that the number to call is:

For questions or ordering
(866) 621-1191

However, as whfsdude mentioned in regard to the residential 305 plan, you may need to already be residing at the new location before you can actually get a firm commitment from Comcast for a business class account (but they should be able to verify if service is definitely available at that address, or might need a site survey).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.