Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Cho Baka

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by Cho Baka:

Success at streaming also depends on what is being streamed.

I have no idea what the bandwidth of Netflix, Hulu plus or Amazon HD videos are. Those and youtube account for almost all streaming. It is not uncommon for 3 or 4 streams to be active at once in the house.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
said by pandora:

I have no idea what the bandwidth of Netflix, Hulu plus or Amazon HD videos are. Those and youtube account for almost all streaming. It is not uncommon for 3 or 4 streams to be active at once in the house.

Funny. I have a typical 10/100 router with 5e and N600 wireless. Even with two Netflix streams and YouTube or XBox going the only time I hit a buffer is with YouTube and 1080p videos..

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
said by Speedy Petey:

Funny. I have a typical 10/100 router with 5e and N600 wireless. Even with two Netflix streams and YouTube or XBox going the only time I hit a buffer is with YouTube and 1080p videos..

Obviously WiFi is a great solution for your streaming needs. Kudos!
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
The challenge with wireless and video isn't so much an issue of bandwidth or "speed" but rather the protocol overhead which can go up exponentially depending on the number of active devices and other networks within reach.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
said by AVonGauss:

The challenge with wireless and video isn't so much an issue of bandwidth or "speed" but rather the protocol overhead which can go up exponentially depending on the number of active devices and other networks within reach.

I read from some who have had great experiences with Wi-Fi, and others such as myself who haven't. I did pick up an Amazon Kindle Fire HD and it seems to stream better than the other tablets I have. Why that would be I don't know.
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to pandora
Peak--likely as much as you can get (I've gotten up to 30mbps when a stream starts, which is my max); sustained--maybe around 3mbps, but probably closer to 2mbps (maybe a bit more for HD), so not all that much really. I've heard some HD streams hover around 7mbps, but I haven't seen that myself (which could just be my case).
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"