Wind Gap, PA
reply to ice

Re: Internet is extremely slow on laptop

Netbook on wireless connection

Laptop on wired connection

Laptop on wireless connection
Click for full size
Tablet on wireless
Ok, it's not the router, it is this piece of garbage laptop. Does anyone have any ideas on what needs updating or what driver to install for it? I've tried updating the Atheros driver and it obviously did nothing. It's a Toshiba Satellite A205 with Windows 7.

Just to illustrate, here are screenshots of the netbook on wireless and the laptop on a wired and wireless connection. I even threw in one of my tablet (I see it used a different IP, I tested it with the 31.x.x.x number and got the same result).

Is it possible for the wireless in a laptop to just take a crap no matter what? As I said before, I just reformatted this thing probably 4 months ago and it isn't even used that much that would would get all junked up. There's no viruses on it or anything else that should be causing issues.
--
Intel X3350 Quad@3.6GHZ
Abit IP35 Pro
4096MB of Gskill
320GB+500GB SATA
nVidia 8800GTS 512MB OC

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
It looks to me like a problem specific to your laptop's wireless drivers, antenna, or underlying wireless chip used. It could also be a compatibility problem between the wireless chipset used on the router vs. the wireless chipset used on your laptop.

Tools like inSSIDer are not necessarily going to help determine what the actual issue is -- it can help determine if your signal level is crap compared to another identical device, but it's not helpful when it comes to things like Product A vs. Product B. What you'd actually need is a full 802.11 protocol and frequency spectrum analyser. These are very expensive and require great technical expertise.

Wireless is one of the worst, most unreliable things I have ever had the "joy" of dealing with both professionally and personally. It's just utter garbage; it blows my mind how the entire world uses something so unreliable. It's an awful, awful piece of technology. Just awful.

Anyway -- engage Toshiba and make this their problem. You can fiddle around with drivers and wireless settings (though keep in mind adjusting ANY wireless NIC settings on your laptop, or on the router, often causes the wireless chip to be completely reset -- this often results in things that work briefly then fail down the road, so a simple "i changed X setting and it fixed it" is not sufficient, you need to test over a long period of time (1-2 weeks, no joke)), but my advice would be not to do any of that and instead engage Toshiba from the get go. If the problem is easily reproducible, that should help them out greatly. All this is assuming the product is still under warranty; if it's not, good luck solving the issue.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

ice
Sleep Less, Game More

join:2002-07-01
Wind Gap, PA
There's no warranty. The thing is nothing but trouble and I wish my parents would just throw it away and get another one.

Thanks for the help, no clue what I'm going to do about it in the meantime. I've had this router for more than a year, the only change that was made was getting DOCSIS 3 and a new modem, but as I said this also happened a couple years ago when I was still on DOCSIS 2.0 and had a different router. The only common thing here is the laptop.
--
Intel X3350 Quad@3.6GHZ
Abit IP35 Pro
4096MB of Gskill
320GB+500GB SATA
nVidia 8800GTS 512MB OC