Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

most fastest most reliable DNS to use ?

also is it true twc gets mad if you dont use there default DNS ?

provide here a list of the fastest DNS or what you use ok ?

hawk82

join:2001-04-26
centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

You can use any DNS server you want. They don't care or monitor that. However, TWC won't support using any other DNS server other than their own, so don't call support if you have problems using a 3rd party DNS server.

Right now I am using Google's Public DNS servers without any major problems. Seems to have eliminated Youtube videos buffering badly when I had DNS set to TWC's DNS servers.

»developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

I had a TWC Biz tech tell me one day he uses Google's Public DNS servers on his home/personal TWC connection since he said they worked better.

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to DelmarPip

I run my own local DNS server using Unbound on my NAS/Linux server. I also just bought a Raspberry Pi which will be configured to be a backup DNS server (among other things). Nothing beats the speed of your own local servers, the security of running DNSSEC, not having the DNS Server return IPs for invalid domains, and I also know that nobody is using them to gather data on my browsing habits *cough*google*cough*.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
reply to DelmarPip

I use Opendns and it always seems to work, unlike TWC's own dns. For example I had friends with TWC internet and they complained about their internet not working, while mine continued to work, so obviously a dns issue.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to DelmarPip

This will do some speed test for you. »www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I have found the opendns and google dns seem to be slower than some other pubic (non-tw) dns servers.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:10

I'm not as concerned about the speed the DNS server responds with as I am about the speed of the connection to my final destination. I use Google's DNS, and all the major CDNs return an IP in my city. Some of those others DNS servers, even though the DNS lookup was faster, return an IP halfway across the country.

/M