share rss forum feed

alanisrox69

join:2005-03-29
LHV, PA

[DVR] Multi Room DVR with Own Router?

Ok, I'll try to make this short.

1. Using own router. (Asus RT-N66U)
2. Have 150mbps so I have Ethernet from the ONT
3. Ethernet ONT -> Own Router -> LAN 1 out -> ActionTec Router LAN 1 in. DHCP turned off on the ActionTec (followed the guide on here...) COAX plugged into the ActionTec as well of course.
4. Have 7 DVRs. Really only want M-DVR active on 2, but if it's on all 7, fine.
5. All 7 DVRs have Guide Data and VOD access with no issues.
6. Called up to have Multi Room DVR added.
7. The second the guy added M-DVR service all 7 DVRs went to "You are not subscribed to this channel" for every channel besides the locals.
8. He sent refresh signals to all the boxes, all the boxes then had "subscription".
9. After about a minute, all 7 boxes froze, video/audio was still playing, but I could NOT change the channel, hit Menu, Guide, or Power, nothing. Boxes just froze.
(45minutes here of sending all kinds of signals and stuff....)
10. Finally I just reset the ActionTec router to factory default and plugged ETH ONT into it removing the Asus router from the equation and all 7 boxes restarted and came back to life. M-DVR was active now.
11. I put my Asus router back in front, all boxes freeze up again.
12. Finally we decide to remove the M-DVR service. He removed it.
13. All DVR boxes are now working fine with the Asus router before the ActionTec, but of course M-DVR service is not active now.

So why would activating the M-DVR service with my own router cause the boxes to freeze? All the boxes use VOD and have Guide data with no issues with my Asus before the ActionTec.
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

You need to have the actiontec if you want to have Verizon's boxes fully function. You can have the Actiontec and the Asus too.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

alanisrox69

LHV, PA

said by Jackarino:

You need to have the actiontec if you want to have Verizon's boxes fully function. You can have the Actiontec and the Asus too.

Yes, I know this. Re-read my post. The ActionTec is always on the network. My issues is, when M-DVR is active on my account, ALL the boxes freeze and are unusable if my Asus router is also on the network in front of the ActionTec. If I remove the Asus router, then all the DVR's and M-DVR service works fine. I put the Asus back on the network, and all the DVRs freeze. with M-DVR service de-activated on my account, my setup works fine, VOD works fine, Guide works fine, everything works fine.

--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

My apologies, I thought you didn't have it on at first.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to alanisrox69

If your own router is in front of the Actiontec, it is very likely you don't have the required port-forwards and IP addresses set up for MR-DVR to work.

It's one thing for the boxes to go out via IP to get guide/VOD data. It's quite another to have the boxes find and talk to each other as would be required for MR-DVR.

The boxes are able to configure the Actiontec automatically to open the required ports and configure the required IP addresses to find and talk to each other, but they have no idea how to do it with your router.

alanisrox69

LHV, PA

said by UnnDunn:

If your own router is in front of the Actiontec, it is very likely you don't have the required port-forwards and IP addresses set up for MR-DVR to work.

It's one thing for the boxes to go out via IP to get guide/VOD data. It's quite another to have the boxes find and talk to each other as would be required for MR-DVR.

The boxes are able to configure the Actiontec automatically to open the required ports and configure the required IP addresses to find and talk to each other, but they have no idea how to do it with your router.

Do you know what ports are needed for MR-DVR? I can set them up on my router...

this is still confusing because I thought the boxes communicate to each other through the coax on the ActionTec...so why would port forward be needed on my Asus router? Shouldn't the ActionTec be taking care of the dvr->dvr talk via Coax?

--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by alanisrox69:

said by UnnDunn:

Do you know what ports are needed for MR-DVR? I can set them up on my router...

this is still confusing because I thought the boxes communicate to each other through the coax on the ActionTec...so why would port forward be needed on my Asus router? Shouldn't the ActionTec be taking care of the dvr->dvr talk via Coax?

Yeah, the boxes will talk to each other on the coax, but how they find each other is a whole different matter, and that depends on how Verizon designed the system.

Unfortunately, I only have one box and I do not have MR-DVR, so I can't tell you for sure which ports or IPs or whatever else might be needed for it. I'm largely just speculating at this point.

My advice would be to put the Actiontec in front of your router, reset the ActionTec, activate MR-DVR and see what happens. If it all works, you can see how the Actiontec was set up, and try to replicate that setup on your own router.

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to alanisrox69

Out of curiousity, is there a reason you need to have the Asus router in front of the Actiontec? If you have 150Mb service, they should have given you an Actiontec rev. I router which has gigabit Ethernet...

alanisrox69

LHV, PA

said by UnnDunn:

Out of curiousity, is there a reason you need to have the Asus router in front of the Actiontec? If you have 150Mb service, they should have given you an Actiontec rev. I router which has gigabit Ethernet...

The ActionTec bogs down when you have 22 Ethernet/Wireless devices on the network.

The Asus is needed
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
reply to alanisrox69

Is connecting the Asus to the ActionTec and putting the Asus in "Bridge Mode" not an option? That's the setup I have with an ActionTec and Airport router. (The Airport has its own wireless network in Bridge Mode.) It works very well.

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to alanisrox69

said by alanisrox69:

said by UnnDunn:

The ActionTec bogs down when you have 22 Ethernet/Wireless devices on the network.

The Asus is needed

As bsangs mentioned, you could try putting the Asus behind the Actiontec, and turning off the Actiontec's wireless. That way, the Actiontec will still do DHCP and Port Forwarding, but the Asus will do most of the grunt work of moving packets around...

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

You don't have to necessarily shut off the Actiontec's wireless though. Our Actiontec is in the basement office so we leave it on, giving us two wireless networks in the house. Has been that way for awhile now.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to alanisrox69

7 DVRS for one family......

alanisrox69

LHV, PA

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25
reply to alanisrox69

I have the same ASUS Router. My MR-DVR is working fine (2 DVR's 3 STB's). No special setup. I do not have a Actiontec in the equation.

Is it possible that something in the Actiontec is creating a conflict?

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to alanisrox69

Is UPnP enabled in the Asus?

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

That's $119 in equipment costs alone at $17 each! YIKES!!! That's more in equipment costs than what some pay for an entire FiOS triple play - I'd hate to pay that monthly bill!

On topic: IIRC only 1 MR-DVR can be active on a single account. Your issue with all the DVRs might have occurred from trying to activate more than 1 MR-DVR on an account.

Basically, only 1 DVR needs to be the MR-DVR. After that gets the upgrade all the other DVRs will be able to access recordings from each other.

alanisrox69

LHV, PA
reply to MagicalPig

said by MagicalPig:

I have the same ASUS Router. My MR-DVR is working fine (2 DVR's 3 STB's). No special setup. I do not have a Actiontec in the equation.

Is it possible that something in the Actiontec is creating a conflict?

Without the Actiontec, how are you getting Guide data?
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

alanisrox69

LHV, PA
reply to birdfeedr

said by birdfeedr:

Is UPnP enabled in the Asus?

It is.

said by Zero:

said by bohratom:

That's $119 in equipment costs alone at $17 each! YIKES!!! That's more in equipment costs than what some pay for an entire FiOS triple play - I'd hate to pay that monthly bill!

On topic: IIRC only 1 MR-DVR can be active on a single account. Your issue with all the DVRs might have occurred from trying to activate more than 1 MR-DVR on an account.

Basically, only 1 DVR needs to be the MR-DVR. After that gets the upgrade all the other DVRs will be able to access recordings from each other.

The tech is the one that activated it over the phone. I believe he enabled the 'living room' as the main MR-DVR. But, like I said, when I take the Asus out of the equation and use the Actiontec as my "internet" router, all the boxes work fine.

alanisrox69

LHV, PA
reply to Zero

Edit: double post

MagicalPig

reply to alanisrox69

I have Ethernet going from the ONT to some adapter box (Forget the name - It kind of looks like the Motorola DCT but it's not that, it is made by Motorola though) then that box goes to the cable splitter via coax as well as a Ethernet run to my router. I think that is the setup. It was installed like that many many moons ago, prob around 2005 even before TV was available in NJ.

With this setup I do not need the Actiontec. I believe it is documented in the FAQ on the possible router setups.

alanisrox69

LHV, PA

said by MagicalPig:

I have Ethernet going from the ONT to some adapter box (Forget the name - It kind of looks like the Motorola DCT but it's not that, it is made by Motorola though) then that box goes to the cable splitter via coax as well as a Ethernet run to my router. I think that is the setup. It was installed like that many many moons ago, prob around 2005 even before TV was available in NJ.

With this setup I do not need the Actiontec. I believe it is documented in the FAQ on the possible router setups.

What model are your other boxes? Mine are all the Cisco (SA) DVR boxes....
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

MagicalPig

I have Motorola Boxes.