Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Actiontec V1000H segregates the networks?

OK so I got a call tonight from my neighbor who was wondering why he couldn't use his wireless printer from his wired computer given they were all on the same home network. I had him try to ping his printer from his computer and try to ping his iPad and he couldn't ping either, so does the Actiontec V1000H router prevent traffic between wired and wireless portions of the network and if so how do you turn this off? It defeats the purpose of having a networked printer if only half your network can use it.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4

Really? My friends printer works fine over wireless and wired. Throw that Actiontech into a pit of fire. Otherwise temporally reset the modem and then test.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

said by jtl999:

Really? My friends printer works fine over wireless and wired. Throw that Actiontech into a pit of fire. Otherwise temporally reset the modem and then test.

Friday Telus is coming to setup my new connection as I'm switching over from Shaw, but I plan on keeping my existing router as its way better then a junky Actiontec, but that is the router Telus gave him, so his problem remains. Would a power cycle of the router fix this problem for him (I had him power cycle the printer, but didn't think to power cycle the router, but now that you mention it, it wouldn't be the first time it fixed a router problem).

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to Link Logger

They usually are separate in most cases. I think the reasoning is they don't want the multicast stream for the TV to get on the wireless as it could affect it negatively. It's been a bug/problem/feature since the older D-Link gateways were in use, that the Actiontecs replaced. To my knowledge there is no way around it currently.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to Link Logger

I wouldn't cancel Shaw yet until Telus can get setup the way you want. Chances are there may be issues with the Actiontech as they don't allow you to setup your own network with bridge mode. So you should not let the tech go until you're able to change everything and have it tested.