Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sbiller1

join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

TWC's new Roku app replaces Cable Box

»www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/384255···-to-roku

I suspect we will hear something from BHN soon since they tend to follow TWC from a technology roadmap perspective.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:156

1 edit
So what was that about us cable guys being anti-Roku and streaming? I had better not hear another peep about that nonsense

Thanks Sam for the post....

sbiller1

Tampa, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

So what was that about us cable guys being anti-Roku and streaming? I had better not hear another peep about that nonsense

Thanks Sam for the post....

Its a smart way for cable guys to reduce capital expense and consumer premises equipment as long as the support costs don't out-way the benefit. I see this as an excellent way to save $8.00/month to get live TV on a bedroom TV that isn't used very much. The other nice thing about the Roku is its very small and can be easily mounted to a wall-mount television.

sambowomble
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium
join:2009-11-23
Murfreesboro, TN
It would be a great alternative in my opinion especially with the amount of content on those boxes anyway.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to sbiller1
It's also going to be quite a bit of trouble getting folks to connect them right meaning wired and on decent routers (yes that means you will need to buy something that isn't on the discount $29 rack) so that the experience mimicks that of the box. Right now folks tolerate the usual wireless streaming glitches for Netflix...won't be the same on the cable side...fun stuff....

sbiller1

Tampa, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

It's also going to be quite a bit of trouble getting folks to connect them right meaning wired and on decent routers (yes that means you will need to buy something that isn't on the discount $29 rack) so that the experience mimicks that of the box. Right now folks tolerate the usual wireless streaming glitches for Netflix...won't be the same on the cable side...fun stuff....

I suspect that H.264 should be a bit more fault tolerant over wireless networks than attempting to stream MPEG-2 over wireless networks. I view the Roku live TV streaming as identical to streaming to an iPad over a wireless network. What am I missing? Is TWC (BHN) going to stream MPEG-2 to the Roku box?

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
kudos:1
reply to sbiller1
So will BH get this? If so I would love it! Of course, then my neighbors would be wanting me to set it up for them .

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to sbiller1
I'll let you guys know more when I do...at this point its a bit premature.

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
I have a Roku and I would love this service.

billd104

join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert
Given the PC on TV release, Are we getting any closer to this Gary??

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by billd104:

Given the PC on TV release, Are we getting any closer to this Gary??

We're always looking for ways to improve the user experience. I'll update you as needed.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

billd104

join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL
I'll be the proverbial Guinea Pig should the need arise...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to sbiller1
I will keep that in mind...