how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MIA_LAWN

@tracfone.com
reply to natedj

Re: Lawn needs serious resuscitation

natedj - all properties in my subdivision, and in the surrounding area have lawns like this. Pretty depressing IMO.

Dormant grass, wow, ya learn something new everyday.

I guess there is nothing that I should/need to do right now.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by MIA_LAWN :

Where did you live previously that didn't have grass that went at least partially dormant during the winter months?

Up north, our grass usually turns brown then stays white for days, sometimes even weeks before awakening back up in the spring.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
reply to MIA_LAWN
if it still looks like that in late spring, then you can take some action. Until then, I'd just wait it out and see what happens. Patience is the most useful tool in your lawncare implement array.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to MIA_LAWN
said by MIA_LAWN :

natedj - all properties in my subdivision, and in the surrounding area have lawns like this. Pretty depressing IMO.

You should see what the lawns around here look like, especially in the spring just after the snow has finished melting. All brown (dormant) and compressed from the weight of the snow. Looks like crap. Also the rocks and sand that gets put on the streets in the winter, some of it winds up on the lawn and is a real pain to deal with.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to MIA_LAWN
said by MIA_LAWN :

Also, stop cutting it so damn short

I think it didn't help that you last gave it a buzz cut.

MIA_LAWN

@tracfone.com
alkizmo - our association cuts the lawns wasn't me

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
said by MIA_LAWN :

alkizmo - our association cuts the lawns wasn't me

Maybe that's why everyone's lawn is like this. They're all cut too short. Bring it up during the next meeting.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
How can you be so sure it's cut too short if the grass has not be identified? Different grasses should be cut at different heights.

RULEofTHUMB

@videotron.ca
said by robbin:

How can you be so sure it's cut too short if the grass has not be identified? Different grasses should be cut at different heights.

Yeah appears dormant.

Robbin, this is a rule of thumb (and science) for taking care of grass. At least it is in colder climates, I would assume it's the same in a place like Florida, but I don't know about "hot" places.

Rules of thumb (and science) for spring is: Leave it alone till it's 8-cm minimum in height (about 3.5 inches). This is for root growth which will prevent browning during the summer, and produce healthy grass with a strong root system. We all know the grass is only good as long as it's root are, right?

Rules of thumb (and science) for fall (last cut before winter):
Set mower on the highest height setting and leave it.

So what alkizmo stated, and going by the looks of the grass, he isn't wrong for someone being in the land of ice and snow. That grass is cut too short for winter.

Are all grasses (the science of) not the same even in a hot place like Florida? This I don't know. But I think it is.

If not, have any links?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
I'm not going to try to find links for all of the grasses grown in warm climates. I'm sure you could do that if you are interested. However, in the interest of showing that there is no "rule of thumb" I will offer the following:

"Set the mowing height at 1 to 2 inches for Common bermudagrass and 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches for hybrid varieties."

»publications.tamu.edu/TURF_LANDS···awns.pdf

St Augustine "Set the mowing height at 2 1/2 to 3 inches (3 to 3 1/2 inches in shady lawns)."

»publications.tamu.edu/TURF_LANDS···awns.pdf

If you read through both of these publications you will see that the recommended mowing height does not change by season. The fall mowing recommendation for both grass types listed above is given as "Continue the recommended mowing practices until the grass goes dormant and does not require mowing."

I could keep going with other turf grass types grown here but I think this proves my point. You can't make an informed decision regarding mowing height without identifying the grass you are mowing.