Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·AT&T Wireless Br..

ymhee_bcex to Stewart

Premium Member

to Stewart

Re: inum provider recommendation

@Stewart - sorry, you lost me there... what do you mean by "one-stage dialing"?

I think I set up iNum properly. With Localphone I have it registered on my OBi, and with Voxox it gets forwarded to my cell. Either way a person in Israel and Latvia calls dial-in number, and then enters my iNum number. Is that one-stage or two-stage?

What hok pointed out and what I see on the Voxox "supported countries" page is that I can have Israeli DID that makes iNum calling unnecessary. For better or for worse, the calls from Israel to US are so cheap, that calling such DID or iNum dial-in number saves less than a penny a minute compared to calling US number directly. So, it may not be worth the trouble.

With abundance of VoIP and mobile services I consider all US numbers local. Besides, calling from US is quite cheap as well. So I don't expect US-based caller using iNum dial-in numbers. If I have somebody abroad with iNum number, I'll call them from Google Voice directly.

Where it gets really worth it, is Ukraine. Calls from Ukraine to US are expensive and difficult to make, and calls from US to Ukraine are about 10c/min. So, the best approach is for Ukrainian to call me through dial-in number + my iNum. Obviously, if that can be simplified - that would be terrific.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by ymhee_bcex:

Where it gets really worth it, is Ukraine. Calls from Ukraine to US are expensive and difficult to make, and calls from US to Ukraine are about 10c/min.

If you are getting $0.10 to Ukraine mobile, that's a good deal (from whom?) To landlines, take a look at Powervoip $0.065, Voxbeam $0.0691 to $0.0809 depending on route, or CheapVoipInc $0.0823 to $0.095.

By one-stage dialing, I meant that your contact dials a number that rings to you directly, without having to enter any DTMF. Localphone and Rebtel can do this (to iNum) for free, but they unfortunately do not have access numbers in Ukraine. Most cell phones and some home phones can automate two-stage dialing.

ymhee_bcex
Premium Member
Tarzana, CA
·AT&T Wireless Br..

ymhee_bcex

Premium Member

I am using mainly CallWithus for international calling. Compared to Powervoip, Ukraine indeed costs a little more, but Latvia mobile and Israel mobile a little less. So, on balance it's probably about the same.

I still don't get the one-stage inum dialing. I understand if I get a local number, a person in, say Latvia can call my Latvian number instead of iNum. That would be "one-stage", but not iNum. Alternatively, Latvian or Ukrainian can dial local access numbers, and then punch in mu iNum number. That would be "two-stage" which is what I set up with Localphone and Voxox.

But I feel that you mean something else. Or not?
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by ymhee_bcex:

But I feel that you mean something else.

Indeed.

"Calling card" providers such as Localphone, Rebtel, Zenofon and Fonworld have a small block of numbers in each city where they provide access. You first enter your contacts' numbers on their Web site. and they display a (non dedicated) number for each contact. You must also register (and verify) your numbers on the site. Once set up, to make a call, you simply dial the access number corresponding to your contact, the system recognizes your caller ID and routes the call directly to your party, without your having to interact with an IVR. This is the mainstream usage of such services.

On Localphone, calls to iNum are free. You can set up your Latvian friend's number as if it were yours, and set up your (Localphone, VoxOx, etc.) iNum as a Contact. You set your Location to Latvia. When your friend dials the +371 6765 xxxx number shown for your contact, it will ring your iNum, without her having to enter any DTMF digits.

With Rebtel, it's a lot simpler, using their "collect calls" feature. You set up the iNum as your number and set up contacts in the normal way. You can expand the display for a contact and it will show a number for them to call you. As with Localphone, the call to iNum is free.
zapattack
join:2012-07-02
CANADA

zapattack

FWIW, local access calls to a VOIP.MS iNum still do not work.
Drop as soon as connected.
Work fine directly from GV though.

ymhee_bcex
Premium Member
Tarzana, CA
·AT&T Wireless Br..

ymhee_bcex to Stewart

Premium Member

to Stewart
Stewart,

I think I understand. So with Localphone - where would I set it up? I can't see such function...

There are a few downsides as well. First, I need to set up predetermined phone numbers (and address idiosyncrasies of caller id: does country call show up? and if I guessed wrong - how would I guess what should have been?). Second, I have a cousin who calls both us and our in-laws. If I hard-wire ("one-stage") her call to me, it may ruin my family happiness

Last, You can get a Latvian DID for less than $1/mo; so this is the easiest one-stage calling country in Europe to set up...

Not that these downsides would ever stop me... Very curious to set it up! Where are those access numbers listed?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Access Numbers:

Rebtel
»www.rebtel.com/en/Get-He ··· Numbers/

iNum
»www.inum.net/?page_id=42

ymhee_bcex
Premium Member
Tarzana, CA
·AT&T Wireless Br..

ymhee_bcex

Premium Member

That's very kind of you, Eliezer to send those links (inum link is in one of my posts above btw).

But I don't think they address my question, or rather provide an example of what Stewart is describing. Namely, a page where I can register a caller-id, and a call from that number will automatically get forwarded to me without caller having to dialing my number explicitly.