join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to jaberi

Re: What happens when travel insurance rejects your claim

I [hate] insurance companies, yet I have to agree with the companies as to the facts of the matter. (Not the morals, but the facts).

The lady who answered NO as to being treated for heart problems in the last 12 months---SHE said she assumed it meant 12 months prior to the future upcoming trip date, NOT 12 months prior to the date she applied for the insurance.

HOW THE HELL would her view make any sense? She is saying that she is being asked about treatment in the FUTURE. No reasonable person would assume they were being asked about treatment in a future that has not existed yet except on some Einsteinean plane of quantum existence. That's such a ridiculous interpretation of the question, anyone with common sense would have realized that such an interpretation of the question was wrong.

As to the guy---Yes, he DID have bowel disease. While 1965 is a long time ago, Ulcerative Colitis is a big deal, and he was CURRENTLY taking medicine for it. So he can't claim he forgot about it, or that it was not an issue.

I fully agree that insurance slimeballs use any excuse to get out of paying.

Yet the two examples cited in the news story are rather weak.

Even though I hate insurance companies, if I were on a jury I would side with the companies in both of these cases.

LastDon

join:2002-08-13

I believe some companies cover pre - existing conditions if under control , meaning taking medication etc etc.

i know a few people that travel, and have anxiety, panic disorder, but because they have been taking medications with no changes in the last year, they are covered as it is under control.

Some though don't have this policy.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

said by LastDon:

I believe some companies cover pre - existing conditions if under control , meaning taking medication etc etc.

i know a few people that travel, and have anxiety, panic disorder, but because they have been taking medications with no changes in the last year, they are covered as it is under control.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you don't have to declare the condition when asked.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

As to the guy---Yes, he DID have bowel disease. While 1965 is a long time ago, Ulcerative Colitis is a big deal, and he was CURRENTLY taking medicine for it. So he can't claim he forgot about it, or that it was not an issue.

This one I disagree with. If his treatment out of the country was for the bowel disease I can see not covering it. However, he had pneumonia. They keep people on staff just to see if they can get out of paying claims.

The problem is that many of the forms are f-in confusing. I'll have to see if I can find the one that a relative filled out when travelling a number of years ago. They (and the doctor) read it one way, the travel agent wasn't sure, and together they ended up calling the insurance company to get a straight answer. When the travel agent made the call the insurance agent on the phone couldn't answer the question, which worked out well. Eventually they got a written response, which was nice. It was basically looking for information on if your medication had changed in the past 12 months. ie. it was okay if you had a previous condition, as long as it was under control. However, the question was so poorly written, it really was open to interpretation.

I applied for coverage on an extended trip I took for business years back (our company covered travel, but the number of days I was going was out of the max days). The HR person actually told me to hold off on filling it out as I was a week away from answering no vs. yes on one of the questions for myself. It was minor as I could apply as close as 48-hrs before the trip itself and this was months before hand.