how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jer1041

join:2013-01-07
T4C0J7

[AB] DSL and Business

Maybe some of the TELUS guru's out there can comment, as I don't understand certain TELUS logic when it comes to Small/Medium Business.

We have a DSL account with TELUS, 6mb down and 1 up (We just upgraded from 3mb down and 1 up). We have been trying over the last 6 months to upgrade this speed, as it really isn't fast enough for what we need to do (We have about 50 users on this single line).

It has been a huge struggle to get any information out of them. They are pushing fiber on us huge, but we don't want to spend the $25k to run the lines. We looked at T1's, but the cost is also VERY high, approx $1500/Month for a 6mb connection, and the SLA isn't really all that important to us.

My question is, why does the business side of DSL seem to be so far behind the residential? You can get 25mb connections in a fair amount of areas. We pay more for our business line, than the residential customer does, which I don't have a problem with. I asked them about different DSL solutions, and was told 6mb is as fast as I can get. So naturally I asked "are you planning on upgrading anything in the future", and of course my sales rep knew nothing about this. Shaw isn't an option in my area, nor is any other wired service. We have been happy with TELUS DSL over the years, we just need more speed.

Why wouldn't TELUS upgrade the ports for the business side of DSL? Every business I can think of has copper into their building, and with speeds like OPTIK 25, or better yet OPTIK 50, they could own the SMB market. Not to mention be able to charge $400-$500 month for Optik 50, which is roughly 6X more than what they are charging a residential customer.

Thoughts?

As a side note, I have Fiber run into my house, and am getting the 50mb connection installed on Thursday. I'm hoping it's going to be much nicer than my Shaw BB50 account. So 50mb at home, and 6mb at work. Lol...

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
25/5 is available as a business package, but once again, it depends on your distance from the dslam. If it's that important to you, get another 6mbit line and load balance them until faster speeds become available.

Jer1041

join:2013-01-07
T4C0J7
What do you recommend to load balance? There are a few devices out there that we have looked at, but from reading in other forums, we haven't been able to see just how good them actually work?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 edit
reply to Jer1041
Simply put, Telus is in no hurry to upgrade your area. Residential is where the money is, not commercial, especially in a smaller town. Commercial is much lower density and demand compared to residential.

For now, I'd recommend getting one or more additional lines, and doing load-balancing. Load balancing actually works quite well when you have a large amount of users. Essentially, the router would shuffle the users around between the different connection to try to even out the load.

If you're looking for a good router to use for load-balancing, I'd recommend getting a Mikrotik. They are reliable, powerful, and highly configurable. There's a learning curve though, but if you're technically inclined it shouldn't be too bad.

Something like the RB450 if you don't need wireless or gigabit: »routerboard.com/RB750 it is incredibly inexpensive for what you get!

There are of course plenty of different models to choose from, with different features and capabilities: »routerboard.com/

Info to get started: »wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Load_Bala ··· alancing

EnigmaMac

join:2010-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
reply to Jer1041
Not sure where you are in Alberta, and not to knock TELUS at all, since Nucleus leases TELUS's lines, and fibre, etc. But for Business Solutions, you may want to check out if Nucleus can offer you anything better for Business Solutions. We had Nucleus for about 8 years, but only had their 6Mbps/1Mbps Package for Residential.

Now, switched to TELUS Optik Turbo 25 and bundled with TV, as we are very close to the DSLAM here, the service is awesome.

For Business solutions you may want to check out Nucleus at www.nucleus.com and see if they can offer you anything better, or more to suit your needs. (Not knocking TELUS at all)... but sometimes Nucleus may have something better to offer you for Business, but don't quote me on that.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB
reply to Jer1041
It all boils down to cost. If you want, Telus will gladly offer you bonded T1's or a full fiber circuit, but expect a good size install/construction cost, plus a hefty monthly cost. If coax is available I would suggest a Shaw biz plan. You can get the 50x5 for ~100 with 1 static. Add more if necessary, though. I have Shaw biz at home and love it. Most for the static's and all ports unblocked. I have yet to be bugged with getting close to 650GB a month at times.

No commercial area around central AB has been VDSL2 upgraded that I've seen yet, so the highest Telus can offer would be a 15x1 profile, unfortunately. If you do anything with a terminal server, 1Mb will buckle fast. All boils down to price really.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to Jer1041
Do you have to be in a certain area designated commercial or can you get a business connection to a residence? Also, will they have a business 50 plan because the 10mb upload speed would be awesome.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by WhosTheBosch:

Do you have to be in a certain area designated commercial or can you get a business connection to a residence? Also, will they have a business 50 plan because the 10mb upload speed would be awesome.

Why would you want Telus business internet to your residence?

Is it because you want unblocked ports and/or a static IP?

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
said by TheMG:

said by WhosTheBosch:

Unlimited transfer
--
The more I C, the less I see.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by pfak:

Unlimited transfer

I thought Telus hasn't yet started enforcing the published caps/overages?

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

said by WhosTheBosch:

Not so much the unlimited bandwidth but more so the open ports and ability to run servers etc. Hopefully if they do have a 50/10 it's not just restricted to main streets and what they term "commercial" areas like downtown.

rustydusty

Red Deer County, AB
reply to Jer1041
Any residential location can get Shaw Biz. There's no prerequisites to get it at home. I would never go back to residential again, as long as the price stays the same. Love my static's and open ports to death!

morespeed

@telus.net
reply to TheMG
Have a look at stargate.ca - business provider who provides good multi-link solutions with telus dsl, amongst other services. Have used them for years with great success.

spock

join:2012-07-08
reply to rustydusty
I wouldn't touch shaw with a 10ft pole.

Get teksavvy dsl

rustydusty

Red Deer County, AB
reply to Jer1041
Problem is you can't get 50x5 from any provider for $100 with a static and unblocked ports, except Shaw. Talk all you want about congestion, haven't seen such a thing in years. If Telus would provide a similar package to their entire footprint with a static and unblocked ports, I would gladly try it. I did a small check around Red Deer and not one commercial area is VDSL2 upgraded, still only ADSL2 hardware. A few are on a 15x1 profile, but most are even stuck on 6x1, which is easily saturated with a few terminal sessions or even an exchange.