share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

accessing shared Win7 folders from XP

How do I access folders shared on a Win7 machine from an XP machine?

Everything is in the same workgroup and in the same subnet, and the Win7 PCs have no problem accessing folders shared on XP PCs, but content on Win7 PCs can only be accessed from another Win7 PC.

I tried adding the XP User names to "Share with specific people" but it couldn't find them. Then I created an account with same username/password on the Win7 PC as on XP, but that didn't help either. I know in theory I could set up domain, but I would rather not do that.

So, how do I set up file sharing between XP and Win7 that works both ways?

TIA
--
Wacky Races 2012!

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

Temporarily turn off the firewall to make sure it's not an issue with that.

I'm assuming you already have the same username/password on both PC's?

You don't have to have a domain, in fact they don't have to even be in the same workgroup.
--
Therapy Chicks

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to aurgathor

You might want to try this setting on the WIN7 machine.
»Microsoft Windows 7 FAQ »Windows 7 can not connect to Windows 2000 share

I have found this to apply to XP as well as Windows 2000. Unless you have a machine with a Windows Server OS, setting up a domain is going to remain a theory outside of reality.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aurgathor

How does it fail?

"Can't get there from here"

"Can't log in"

"Can't access that file"

The failure mode gives vital clues about what is wrong.

Wild guess: incompatible authentication protocols, e.g. Win7 accepts only NTLMv2 and XP sends only NTLM. Run secpol.msc and check the lanman authentication level on both machines (under local policies/security options).

>I tried adding the XP User names to "Share with
>specific people" but it couldn't find them.

Right. Because that would mean that the Win7 system had to just trust the XP system to ensure that users were who they claimed to be. And any PC owner can set up a user named 'aurgathor'.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Click for full size
said by dave:

How does it fail?

Two of the most typical failures are shown above.

And any PC owner can set up a user named 'aurgathor'.

Since I have a wired network behind a separate PC acting as a firewall/router (Freesco) that either requires physical access to my network, or a beyond average hacking skill.

In any case, it turned to be an 'administrator' error, but there's as good excuse why I went on to a wild goose chase.

I didn't enable firewall on Precision490, but unbeknownst to me, Symantec Endpoint Protection enabled it, but only partially. It did *not* block Homegroup, so I could access \Downloads from GX755 just fine, but not from other PCs.

I just turned off Firewall altogether in SEP, and it works fine now. Eventually I need to find the right setting to allow an exception and turn the Firewall back on, but that's just a minor implementation detail.

Thanks for all who replied.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by aurgathor:

Since I have a wired network behind a separate PC acting as a firewall/router (Freesco) that either requires physical access to my network, or a beyond average hacking skill.

Sure, but that's not the way it works, and a good thing too, since it would mean that any firewall failure would result in total access to all computers.

Basically, any standalone computer trusts only those usernames that it defines. If you add the computer to a domain, then it will also trust those usernames that the domain controller defines.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

How do I access folders shared on a Win7 machine from an XP machine?

This may not be kosher, but it doesn't seem bad for a wired-only home LAN.

Windows 7 folder sharing configuration.

If you require password access for your Windows 7 shares, this may not be optimal. However, here is the folder view from Windows XP:

Windows 7 shares, as seen in Windows XP.

Only those folders explicitly shared from Windows 7 show up in Explorer; I haven't played with UNC to know if Win7 folders marked as, "private" might still be accessible.

For completeness, here is the view of the shared WinXP folders from Win7:

Windows XP shares, as seen in Windows 7.

I don't have my Windows Me computer here, but I can get limited access; I believe from Windows 7, reading the Windows Me shares.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum