uniqs
share rss forum feed

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1

[Internet] Feature request: Netflix SuperHD support

"Netflix Super HD requires that your Internet Provider is part of the Netflix Open Connect network. Please contact your Internet Provider to request that they join the Netflix Open Connect network so you can get Super HD."

Here's my request. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would welcome this.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?
Expand your moderator at work

simba1994

join:2002-02-10
Largo, FL
reply to OmagicQ

Re: [Internet] Feature request: Netflix SuperHD support

I would like to second this request. So . . . let's watch as this gets buried in the "feature request" thread to never be heard of again.

Besides, I'm guessing BHN will not be in any rush to help a competitor such as Netflix. I'm sure BHN would rather invest in it's own content-providing services, rather than support a service that not only competes with it, but is also huge consumer of bandwidth on BHN's own networks.

If I'm way off on this, let me know ... I'm making a ton of assumptions here.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
said by simba1994:

I would like to second this request. So . . . let's watch as this gets buried in the "feature request" thread to never be heard of again.

Besides, I'm guessing BHN will not be in any rush to help a competitor such as Netflix. I'm sure BHN would rather invest in it's own content-providing services, rather than support a service that not only competes with it, but is also huge consumer of bandwidth on BHN's own networks.

If I'm way off on this, let me know ... I'm making a ton of assumptions here.

And they compete with us how?
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

simba1994

Largo, FL
I was under the assumption that both Netflix and BHN provide on-demand movies and TV shows. I would assume that the more successful Netflix is, the less there would be demand for services like Movies on Demand and premium networks such as HBO and Showtime and even more so if Netflix continues on with their plans to actually create content, in addition to distributing it.

I'm not saying that BHN would never consider joining this "Open Connect" network, I'm just curious if there is any major benefit for BHN, other than to drive some bandwidth costs down.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just thought it would be nice to have access to these new Netflix features such as "Super HD" and 3D content.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
What does it take to become an "open connect" network?

ill also add that I would love for bhn to join too

buttocks map

@bhn.net
It has to do with the Netflix Content Delivery Network.

»signup.netflix.com/openconnect

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to simba1994
said by simba1994:

I was under the assumption that both Netflix and BHN provide on-demand movies and TV shows. I would assume that the more successful Netflix is, the less there would be demand for services like Movies on Demand and premium networks such as HBO and Showtime and even more so if Netflix continues on with their plans to actually create content, in addition to distributing it.

I'm not saying that BHN would never consider joining this "Open Connect" network, I'm just curious if there is any major benefit for BHN, other than to drive some bandwidth costs down.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just thought it would be nice to have access to these new Netflix features such as "Super HD" and 3D content.

But we really don't compete if you think about it...two different business models after your business. Each serves their own respective niche quite nicely actually and you using Netflix and similar services increases the likelyhood you will adopt faster internet...so while there may be a tradeoff in one area there is a gain in another. I think the only guys out there worried about you using Netflix are those who have capacity issues to begin with and whos fault is that? Netflix...no. Rest well knowing we aren't the other guys. Use any service you want that adds value and enjoyment to the products we offer...it's just that simple.

I realize you guys have this "need" to find battle and conspiracy in things, it's human nature but....I can promise you cable guys don't go to work each day looking to crush Netflix or similar services....it just doesn't happen....frankly we're too busy focused on what we need to focus on....our own business and you.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Expand your moderator at work

simba1994

Largo, FL

1 recommendation

reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Feature request: Netflix SuperHD support

I guess I've made the mistake of grouping BHN with all other cable operators. That's something that, by now, I should know isn't the case.

With all the talk about caps and metered usage, I have to applaud BHN for keeping things simple. And as I've said in the past, since I signed up for Lightning, I've had nothing but rock solid service and speed.

I guess I need to stop reading all the "Let's hate the cable company" headlines that frequently appear on the front page of DSLReports.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by simba1994:

I guess I need to stop reading all the "Let's hate the cable company" headlines that frequently appear on the front page of DSLReports.

:)
--

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
reply to simba1994
said by simba1994:

Yes you do! Cable, for me, is a great service and having the ability to watch whatever I want instead of having to wait for it on streaming/disc is fantastic. Plus being a huge sports nut I need it. Folks complain about commercials, but some of them I love, like the Mayhem guy, Maxwell the Geico pig, Aaron Rodgers (mmm Aaron Rodgers 3 ), etc. People think nothing about forking over big money every month for phone service but complain about paying less than $100 a month for cable. I guess I'll never get it.

Krrose27

join:2008-06-21
Winter Springs, FL
reply to tim tim tim
I came dropped in on the forums just to say this.

Would love to get some awesome quality and 3d.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Krrose27:

I came dropped in on the forums just to say this.

Would love to get some awesome quality and 3d.

Well don't just post and leave Stay around a while why don't ya....
--

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL
reply to OmagicQ
Well I would also like to request for Bright House to become part of Netflix's Open Connect Network. Anything we can do to let Bright House know that we would like for them to become part of Netflix's Open Connect Network i'm all for.

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
I hope they will, I don't see a downside to it really...Netflix customers would get better service and then there's this:

"ISPs can directly connect their networks to Open Connect for free. ISPs can do this either by free peering with us at common Internet exchanges, or can save even more transit costs by putting our free storage appliances in or near their network."

Free peering and/or free storage appliances... HELLOOOOOO
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
said by OmagicQ:

I hope they will, I don't see a downside to it really...Netflix customers would get better service and then there's this:

"ISPs can directly connect their networks to Open Connect for free. ISPs can do this either by free peering with us at common Internet exchanges, or can save even more transit costs by putting our free storage appliances in or near their network."

Free peering and/or free storage appliances... HELLOOOOOO

Hellooo...

Nothing like this is ever free...they want you John Q Public to think that way and they are banking on you not understanding the bigger picture (and you don't). But trust me...this is not a free lunch. It's an interesting concept and I'm sure everyone is going to take a good look at it but understand that Netflix like many companies is very good at engaging social/print media to further their cause(s) and this is one of those examples. In the meantime everyone will take a good long look at those who are the first adopters and we'll take it from there.
--

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL
So BHNtechXpert, is there anyway you can suggest this to the powers that be at BHN or do u have a way you can put a request in for BH to be apart of the Open Connect Network?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by shortyd999:

So BHNtechXpert, is there anyway you can suggest this to the powers that be at BHN or do u have a way you can put a request in for BH to be apart of the Open Connect Network?

What makes you think we aren't already aware Guys this isn't one of those things where a great amount of feedback will make a difference either way to be honest with you. At this point it will all depend on how it goes with those that have signed on as the early adopters and their experience with it.

--

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18

1 edit
Hope these results improve because there getting worse. BHN was ranked 8th Now BHN is ranked 10th.
Source »blog.netflix.com/

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
These are retarded numbers to go off of. even on standard road runner you could run atleast 2 netflix HD streams with no issues, for them to produce this list of what their servers are sending us is just retarded.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Nothing like this is ever free...

For fun, I'll jump on this dogpile......

You are correct, it's not free. It costs the ISP in terms of space, power, cooling, ports and, to a small degree, hands-on labor by ISP personnel.

On the other hand, streams are going to cross the last mile no matter how they're sourced. But if you can keep thousands of streams OFF your transit interconnects through on-net caching, that savings can be measured in real dollars.

It's similar to the way Akamai works, and if I'm not mistaken, BHN has on-net Akamai mirrors.

Perhaps Open Connect is too new and the technology used by Netflix is unproven. I can appreciate that viewpoint. Once the product is mature and their particular flavor of mirroring passes the trial by fire, I'd be surprised if BHN didn't join in the fun eventually.

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Hellooo...

Nothing like this is ever free...they want you John Q Public to think that way and they are banking on you not understanding the bigger picture (and you don't).

Ok. Please enlighten me and don't dumb it down. What terms I don't understand I will google.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

3 edits
reply to rebus9
said by rebus9:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Once the product is mature and their particular flavor of mirroring passes the trial by fire, I'd be surprised if BHN didn't join in the fun eventually.

As usual Rebus gets it... you left off a couple of cost variables I'll let you go back to the announcement and digest it a bit again and knowing what you know add them in because they are real and things that one cannot ignore. Hint - bits, bytes and other pesky little things....msg me when ya get a moment as I need to chat with you anyway on that other thing we were working on.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to OmagicQ
said by OmagicQ:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Hellooo...

Nothing like this is ever free...they want you John Q Public to think that way and they are banking on you not understanding the bigger picture (and you don't).

Ok. Please enlighten me and don't dumb it down. What terms I don't understand I will google.

Sorry not going to bite at this troll bait apple (nothing against you) but this is one of those things where everyone has an opinion, most of them wrong and I have no intention of wasting any resources trying to explain, re-explain and explain again on this issue.

Suffice it to say we have no plans as of right now for Netflix Open Connect but we do continue to evaluate all entertainment options for you folks and I will let you know if/when things change. I promise
--

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by rebus9:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Once the product is mature and their particular flavor of mirroring passes the trial by fire, I'd be surprised if BHN didn't join in the fun eventually.

As usual Rebus gets it... you left off a couple of cost variables I'll let you go back to the announcement and digest it a bit again and knowing what you know add them in because they are real and things that one cannot ignore. Hint - bits, bytes and other pesky little things....msg me when ya get a moment as I need to chat with you anyway on that other thing we were working on.

Don't have time at the moment to dig into it, but I know their OpenConnect PEERING requires 95th percentile traffic exchange of at least 2 Gbps to qualify. It also leaves the ISP to backhaul the traffic away from the exchange points and into the local market.

What I was talking about (granted, I did not necessarily make this clear) in my original post is their OpenConnect appliance which gets installed on-net. That's what I meant with my comment about how Akamai does it.