share rss forum feed

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Snuffbox

Re: Auction House bleeting

said by Snuffbox:

If you're posting 10+ stacks of herbs/ore, undercutting by a significant margin (2-3g) is foolish and brings down the entire market.

The thing is, if I'm cleaning out bank space I really don't care about the market. If you feel like buying up all of my items and relisting to prop up the market, go for it. When my stuff sells I have the gold and you can worry about the listing costs and finding people to buy at your price. I'm just looking to get better than vendor prices for the things that are clogging up my storage. In some cases if you hold on too long the items are no longer worth anything.

A good example right now would be the pets from Father Winter. The first few might sell well, but now the prices are in the tank. With all toons getting the pets when one gets a pet there is much less opportunity to sell them. For those of use who have been around a few years all of our toons already had them individually. Now we have another load of them. I don't see listing them for 100G or whatever the current price is when I can dump them for 25G and sell them to those who are willing to wait until someone will pay 100G for them again.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Kilroy:

A good example right now would be the pets from Father Winter. The first few might sell well, but now the prices are in the tank. With all toons getting the pets when one gets a pet there is much less opportunity to sell them. For those of use who have been around a few years all of our toons already had them individually. Now we have another load of them. I don't see listing them for 100G or whatever the current price is when I can dump them for 25G and sell them to those who are willing to wait until someone will pay 100G for them again.

And we appreciate people like you. I have over 600,000g on hand because of people like YOU!
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Kilroy

said by Kilroy:

The thing is, if I'm cleaning out bank space I really don't care about the market.

Or anyone else that may not be "cleaning out the bank"? Vendor it then, don't bring down the entire market, you're just lazy.

I do buy out and resell what's significantly underpriced out of ignorance and laziness (you), however not everyone has deep enough pockets to do that and are attempting to make legitimate gold the only way they can and you screw them over because you don't want to shift+click and find current market prices.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Snuffbox:

...you screw them over because you don't want to shift+click and find current market prices.

Even easier is to install Auctioneer add-on. It will read the current stuff and list it like 10% lower by default. Don't get me wrong I've made well over 1,000,000 from people like Kilroy so I love them but they could increase their profits a lot with no extra time. If anything auctioneer would make listing auctions faster so they save time and increase their profit!
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

You have me beat. I sit at around 200k, but with how little I log on these days I consider that pretty reasonable.

Auctioneer is a great addon, everyone should be using it.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Snuffbox

Like he stated, he doesn't really play the AH so his influx of inventory on the AH is sporatic and limited. His merch wouldn't really bring down the market permanently. There might be a week when prices would drop drastically but nothing that couldn't be recovered from the following week.

Casual AHers are lazy and don't research or monitor the market to maximize profits. In fact, I would argue that we need players like him to keep the market healthy and stronger to encourage competition and shake certain markets up occasionally. If worst comes to worse, we can always "glyph wall" obnoxious sellers out of our own niche markets which isn't that hard to do if you're a serious AHer.

While listing certain products at half the current buyout price is ridiculous, it opens new live scanners to opt-in to serious AHing. Having players like Kilroy drop valuable items on the AH for easy pick up gave me my first opportunity to "buy in" to the serious AH scheme and make that a hardpoint of my gametime. You have to have money to make money and starting out with little gold on hand and being able to buy up expensive items for cheap is a wet dream to some.
--
Reading your post made me want to punch a kitten in the jawbone.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Snuffbox

There are several addons you can use to help maximize your AH related game play.

Personally I use the following:

- Auctioneer Suite with heavy use on the Resale and Snatch lists and LiveScanning
- Tradeskillmaster (addon and desktop App)
- TheUndermineJournal (GE and SE)
- MarketWatcher
- WoWuction
--

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to mettachain

said by mettachain:

You have to have money to make money

This is my point, it appears you didn't read my post.

I have used all of those addons aside from TheUndermineJournal. Thanks for the gold guide though...

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to Draiman

Even easier is to install Auctioneer add-on. It will read the current stuff and list it like 10% lower by default.

This reminds me that even though this thread is focused on those who post too low, there are just as many out there that post off the charts (which screws you in the take 10% off theory and auctioneer analytics). Those are the people that deserve the loathing condemning attitude as they are just plain consciously griefing.

This other guy is just trying to make some quick extra gold without having to spend the time to research to "maximize his profits". What are you guys, CEOs and CFOs?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Carpie:

Even easier is to install Auctioneer add-on. It will read the current stuff and list it like 10% lower by default.

This reminds me that even though this thread is focused on those who post too low, there are just as many out there that post off the charts (which screws you in the take 10% off theory and auctioneer analytics). Those are the people that deserve the loathing condemning attitude as they are just plain consciously griefing.

This other guy is just trying to make some quick extra gold without having to spend the time to research to "maximize his profits". What are you guys, CEOs and CFOs?

You only get out of something what you put into it. The vendor is his friend. Why bother listing stuff since that is the most time intensive part of the process if you won't get a return on that time? It makes no sense at all!
--

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

What are you guys, CEOs and CFOs?

Supply and demand is not exclusive to CEO's and CFO's...

This is part of making gold by having gold... Buy out an underinvested market category and post it much higher for as long as you can maintain it. This is actually healthy for the "WoW economy".

Carpie

united state

Yeah I get it. I work in Supply Chain Mgmt and the MBA took me through many-a Finance and Economics courses. I'm with ya, I am. And probably it's my own daily regimen of having to analyze,strategize, and negotiate throughout the day in RL that causes my empathy towards the guy, but I'm just saying hate on the griefers, not this poor guy. He's probably like me and plays WoW to be mind numb for part of the day rather than an in-game think tank.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Not everyone plays to be "mind numb" and when a player infringes on a certain niche market within the AH, it is either viewed as some casual AHer with extra crap on hand and wants to get rid of it or an afront to carve out a piece of that markets particular pie. The latter is not something to be taken lightly by the veteran AHer of that certain market niche. However for a short period it does give the economy a healthy break from static pricing and offers the opportunity to purchase items that were out of reach for some players, albeit for a limited time.

Also, I'm happy to hear about your MBA in economics and Supply Chain Mgmt. I currently possess neither but like Snuffbox said, "supply and demand" is not limited to CEO/CFOs. It's basic economic survival that a child understands. Kudos to you on brokering relationships to sell items in bulk. If you look on the AH throughout your time being "mind numb" as well and notice certain sellers posting loads of items on the AH for pennies on the dollar or you suspect someone might be a Chinese gold farmer, it might benefit you a little bit to learn some Chinese gamers phrases that a simple google/bing search will cough up. Speaking to suspect Chinese farmers in their own language through short phrases will help develop a symbiotic relationship and will definitely be profitable for you in the long run. I have used this as well. the last few months of Cata helped net me quite goose-egg to sit on based upon relationships I cultivated with a couple of Chinese players.

So the TLDR portion: In WoW there are many facets to the game. PvE progression, PvP progression, material farming, tradeskill maximizing, and Auction House. The AH is not a small part of the game. It is in fact, a very large aspect of it.
--

Carpie

united state

said by mettachain:

Kudos to you on brokering relationships to sell items in bulk.

That was Xcal. I'm the one who has never had more than $16k or so to his name I'm no better off than the OP on this topic. Well maybe a little bit better, which was actualy due to your suggestions on ways to make gold over the break. Now I'm using auctioneer again and have the sites like wowuction as favorites and generally check them before posting. And hey, just sold my first item over $1k a few days ago. A royal satchel for $7k (which was the suggested wowuction price for my realm). So look at me, out of diapers and into toddler pants.

said by mettachain:

So the TLDR portion: In WoW there are many facets to the game. PvE progression, PvP progression, material farming, tradeskill maximizing, and Auction House. The AH is not a small part of the game. It is in fact, a very large aspect of it.

Fair point. Since I had my blinders on to it, I had never given it consideration (until you recently educhamatated me).

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

My apologies Carpie, I was reading posts rather fast on this topic. I get flustered when someone doesn't seem to understand that being broke in WoW is crime and they must be informed of some ways to stay on top.

I rolled your post and Xcal's into one, so once again, sorry for that.

I'm glad that my suggestions to help you make some funds has paid off for you.

Anyone else reading this and jotting down notes remember this:

The only time Success happens before Work is in the dictionary...
--