Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
reply to silvercat

Re: Netflix Super HD: Will Start support this ?

Are all the HD streams now Super HD if supported by the provider?

If not, how we know which ones are?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by markf:

No, they're still re-encoding content.

The player interface tells you just as it does for HD and 5.1 sound.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to markf

said by markf:

Well on the Roku, you can't tell which shows / movies are HD or Super HD. For me the only way i could determine that was to watch the real-time Bandwidth meter in Tomato. A "regular" HD stream would play at around 4 mbit/sec, and a Super HD stream would play at around 7 mbit/sec.

One thing's for sure: i hope the CRTC will lower wholesale rates for IISP's soon, because even the 400 GB cap that Start offers on their Pro Cable Internet package won't be enough, especially if you have multiple residents in a dwelling watching Super HD streams simultaneously, and consuming a lot of bandwidth.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by silvercat:

One thing's for sure: i hope the CRTC will lower wholesale rates for IISP's soon, because even the 400 GB cap that Start offers on their Pro Cable Internet package won't be enough, especially if you have multiple residents in a dwelling watching Super HD streams simultaneously, and consuming a lot of bandwidth.

That's for sure. The rates that were settled upon were insane and not realistic of any real world costs for delivering the bits across their respective networks.