uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrMaster
jetsetter
Premium
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

Double NAT trouble from ISP - need to port forward

I have a double NAT issue. I have a DSL modem with a wireless router. The router is pulling a 172.x IP address.

The DSL modem is in bridge mode.

I need to do some port forwarding for RDP. I can't seem to access the modem settings page (i think its because it is in bridge mode) and without that access I can't find a solution to my problem.

The primary objective is the port forwarding. Is there something I am missing in order to access the modem's settings page or am I out of luck with my ISP? (PPPoE was not offered as a solution, only a fixed IP for $6 a month.)

a. Linux/Windows/Mac clients
b. Innovative VI
c. DSL
d. Is your connection "always on", or do you use a PPPoE
software to connect? always on. PPPoE isn't available
e. The brand name and model of a router if you're using one - DIR-655 and modem is a zhone 6381-a5
f. What is your set up like? (MS ICS, third-party software)
DSL modem to wireless router. wireless router has hard-wired win 7 box, sprint airave, WD MBL, a wireless bridge running DD-WRT and several wireless clients.
--
My signature is on strike.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
If your modem is in bridge mode and your router's WAN IP address starts with 172.x where x is from 16 to 31, then your ISP is doing NAT and your LAN will not be reachable from the outside no matter what you do to your router.

You need to get a public IP address from your ISP or convince them to forward the ports you want. Good luck.
--
db

mrjoshuaw

join:2001-12-27
Blue Springs, MO
reply to MrMaster
If your modem is in Bridge Mode you should be getting a public IP on your WAN interface of your wireless router. At that point all of your settings would be in your wireless router from configuring a NAT of your public ip address:port to your internal ip:port as well as an access list if you want to lock it down by a source ip from the web.

With the modem in bridge mode there should not be anything on the modem that would be causing you any problems. Of course I am with ATT DSL and using a Cisco/Linksys Router and that is how mine is setup. The other thing you would have a problem with is that being on a DHCP setup, and from my experience with ATT, every time your modem is rebooted or your DHCP lease time expires you will get a new ip address. I very rarely get the same IP from ATT, thus the need to always get in and update my NAT on my router.

MrMaster
jetsetter
Premium
St Thomas, VI
The modem is in bridge mode pulling 172.31.x.x so my ISP is definitely doing NAT - which pisses me off.

I wouldn't have a problem with DHCP if the ISP would give me a public facing IP address but that isn't the case.

Guess I really have no alternative right now. bummer.
--

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications

1 recommendation

said by MrMaster:

The modem is in bridge mode pulling 172.31.x.x so my ISP is definitely doing NAT - which pisses me off.

If your ISP is handing out private IPs it is extremely unlikely they are going to set up port forwarding on their side or give you a public IP. Wouldn't hurt to ask but I think you are out of luck.

Double NAT in and of itself is not the issue, it is who controls the NAT router and are they willing to set up port forwarding.

/tom

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to MrMaster
I recommend you talk to your ISP. I run a small hobby ISP and my customers get a public IP address if and only if they ask for one. Not everybody is as easy to work with as I am, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
--
db

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to MrMaster
said by MrMaster:

PPPoE was not offered as a solution, only a fixed IP for $6 a month.

By the way, what the heck is the point of a fixed IP if they're NATting you? Sounds like a ripoff to me.
--
db

cmslick3

join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL

2 recommendations

reply to MrMaster
Do you absolutely need to use RDP? Is it possible to use something like Teamviewer?

I have this setup in a situation with a cellular modem which is NAT'd from the providers side. It works just fine to get into the computer behind that modem.

Give that a try... If you want unattended access to the remote side you need to go into setting and put in a password.

MrMaster
jetsetter
Premium
St Thomas, VI

1 recommendation

reply to MrMaster
Sorry, what I meant by fixed IP is suppose to have read a static public IP. They just started to roll out cable internet (3 megs up and down for $65) which is suppose to have a front facing public IP but I am just off a main road. No idea how long it's going to take to get here.

To make a long story short I setup a chromebook for an aunt a few thousand miles away. I didn't know she had a windows program that she needs to use. Teamviewer for the web doesn't seem to exist anymore complicates things.

Chrome Remote Support isn't very good but it is what I have her using right now. I've had a hard time getting the program to work with WINE or even Windows Server 2012 on an EC2 instance.
--