spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

theproftw

join:2011-07-22

802.11n wireless modem?

I recently got the 50mbps fios internet installed, and I was recently dissapointed to see that they gave me a wireless g modem, which only manages to get ~15mbps over WiFi, even when inches from the modem and I would like to know if it is possible to get them to replace it with a wireless n router. Also, I am worried about the signal that modem will have, this one has a pretty good signal on the other side of the house, even when in the basement, I'm afraid that will change if they replace the modem.

Thanks

claibourne

join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX
kudos:1
You can ask for the new Rev I, but they may not give you one. It'll do 130mbps N and in my experience, with proper "tuning" (e.g., using a tool like inSSIDer and setting the router to the least-crowded channel in your vicinity), the signal and throughput are pretty decent. You should be able to hit the speed of your FiOS connection.

If they won't give you one, you can buy one. I think VZ sells them for about $80. But if you're going to pay money, you'd be better off to get a Wireless N router, with gigabit ports, connect it to your VZ router as a bridged access point, and turn your Actiontec's wireless off. smallnetbuilder.com is a good place to go to read pretty thorough tech reviews of various home routers.

theproftw

reply to theproftw
Thanks! A router sounds like a better idea, I'll check out that site.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to theproftw
FYI, other routers won't support remote DVR and caller ID on TV. Also, the range of the wireless on the Rev. I is atrocious, the older models and Westel 9100EM blows it away.
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA
reply to theproftw
If you have TV, keep in mind that IIRC, only the REV I modem will work with the new 6 tuner media DVRs when they come out. I am pretty sure that 3rd party modems won't work either. So in that case, your best bet would be to get ahold of a REV I, then if you need more coverage, but a repeater or another router and piggyback.

theproftw

reply to Bytezboy
You sure? I'll keep the Verizon modem routing and use the router on bridge mode

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by theproftw:

I'll keep the Verizon modem routing and use the router on bridge mode

The Actiontec is a MOCA capable router. It is not a modem.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

claibourne

join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX
kudos:1
reply to theproftw
said by theproftw:

You sure? I'll keep the Verizon modem routing and use the router on bridge mode

If you keep the Actiontec as primary, and use the third-party router as a wireless access point in bridge mode as I mentioned, the caller ID and remote STB stuff will continue to function just fine.