uniqs
share rss forum feed

DGGSLF

join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA
reply to FIOSHD

Re: Fios Media Server

Good question.

Earlier in this thread I asked about router versions that would be required. I believe someone said the Rev I router would be needed, so I assumed it had to do with the wireless download speeds offered by the Rev I versus the Rev F, which is what I currently have.

Does anyone know if Rev I router would still be required to support this Media Server since the new info posted shows that MoCA is what it will use versus wireless?

I would love this for the six tuners and pausing live TV. The specs definitely meets my current needs.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
Rev. I is needed for VMS....

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
nycdave,

How do you know that Only Rev. I is needed for the Media Server to work?

Will Rev. F not because it does not have Duel Antennas? and Duel Bands?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
said by Webcobbler :

nycdave,

Too technical to answer here. Let's just say the only router that will work is the Rev. I to keep it simple....

DGGSLF

Lynn, MA
reply to nycdave
Thanks for the feedback nycdave.

So if a customer like me wants/orders VMS and has the older Rev F router, will my self install package include a REV I router or how will that all work?

This latest REV I requirement tends to support the earlier speculation that only new subscribers will be supported initially.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to nycdave
I am confused. I cannot find Rev I router online anywhere. Is Rev I the same router as GigE? As in M1424WR ( Gig E ) ? If so, I know that router def has Duel Antenas and Duel GhZ Bands, and I know It supports 1gig wired and 300 Mbps wireless.

If it is not, I think I'm more confused, lol.

Thanks.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to DGGSLF
said by DGGSLF:

So if a customer like me wants/orders VMS and has the older Rev F router, will my self install package include a REV I router

Who said anything about self-install?
I would not expect that initially.
said by DGGSLF:

This latest REV I requirement tends to support the earlier speculation that only new subscribers will be supported initially.

Not necessarily. It's been VZ's policy that if you order a package that requires a router upgrade, they will provide a router that meets the requirements of that upgrade.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to Webcobbler
said by Webcobbler :

Is Rev I the same router as GigE? As in M1424WR ( Gig E ) ?

Both the rev. G and rev. I have GigE ports. The rev. G is now discontinued, so essentially, yes, when someone says GigE, they're referring to the rev. I.
said by Webcobbler :

I know that router def has Duel Antenas and Duel GhZ Bands, and I know It supports 1gig wired and 300 Mbps wireless.

Not accurate. The rev. I is NOT currently dual band. It is 2.4Ghz only. It is also currently only 130Mbps.

Rumor has it there may be a firmware upgrade coming that will upgrade the wireless.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to nycdave
said by nycdave:

said by Webcobbler :

nycdave,

Too technical to answer here. Let's just say the only router that will work is the Rev. I to keep it simple....

The real question though is does that Rev. I need to be the primary router or can it still function as a NIM to accomplish its tasks? If it's a requirement for the Rev. I to be the primary router then there's no more being able to use a 3rd party router with a VMS in your home.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to More Fiber
More Fiber,

Thank You for your response and explanation.

When I first heard of the G router, or Gig E wireless N Router, I thought one could only get it with the 150/65 internet speed because it is a Gigabit Router. I guess it is the same now for the new VMS Server. One needs the GigE Router (Rev. I) in order to run everything properly because it is more powerful or what not (I do not know the details why that is so).

Also, Rev. F routers need to be replaced. I assume if that is the case, then my ONT would need to be replaced because is it a BPON, and only goes to 100mbps. I need a GPON to get the Gigabit speeds.

I assume now that router has been discontinued for the new Rev. I Gigabit (Gig E) router? Just like newer routesr have come and gone (ex. Rev C, now its F etc.)

DGGSLF

Lynn, MA
reply to More Fiber
Looking at the pictures that were posted, I don't see anything new that would warrant a truck roll. You plug the cables in and it's done. If you need a new router, you unplug the one that is there and plug the new one in.

Verizon may prove me wrong but like all businesses, they are looking for the cheapest route which would be self install.

The process should be the same as it is today.

DGGSLF

Lynn, MA

1 edit
reply to DGGSLF
So what's the word now that CES is over? Do we have an ETA for when trials will start?