uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Tank reforging.

So I've been thinking about this a lot and I'm thinking about doing a "control" reforge for my tank gear on my warrior. Right now, I'm pure avoidance with 46% just sitting there and about 116% with shield block up.

What do you guys prefer, control reforge or avoidance reforge. I do great in LFR by not taking a crap load of spike damage. I always get a healer that whispers me something like "Thanks for not being a squishy tank.

jofos

join:2008-02-14
Irvington, AL
askmrrobot
He's very smart in reguards to matters such as this.

Ashleah

@dhs.gov
reply to Cptbeatstix
What do you mean by control reforging?
I reforge for mastery when I'm not reforging for hit/expertise. Typically anything that has Parry on it, I reforge to something else. This is what I did in Cata and it seems to still work for Mists. Dodge and Parry are still subject to diminishing returns. So while reforging to be a dodge tank might seem fun for healers because they are not popping their big heals after a hard hit and instead keeping HoTs on you... eventually after DRs have run out, you'll be hit and hit hard since mastery is probably low. (also depends on class and what Mastery does for you)
I still play like Mastery is my trump for all my tanks. I'd rather give the healer something they have to moderately heal, rather than a target that once in a while they're spamming their fast heals to get me topped off after taking that huge hit that passes dodge/parry.

Cptbeatstix

Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Control reforging is moreso dps tanking by keeping hit and expertise at 7.50%. Avoidance is mastery stacking for block and just reforging to make sure you have that good split between dodge and parry.
So the tanks you see pulling like 50ish k dps, more than likely are "control" tanks. Those tanks can be pretty squishy since they don't exactly stack for block.

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14
reply to Cptbeatstix
Just getting back into the hang of things as i renewed my account last week after a year off, but ive seen things both ways. I am currently gearing up a guardian and from what ive seen they are mostly going to reforg to mastery. Not sure how accurate that is but it seems for druids dodge isnt the same hotness it was in cata.
As for dps, i still think a balanced approach is best. Are you fighting with enrage timers? No- Mitigation/Reduction. Are your healers struggling? Yes- Mitigation/Reduction (DPS if the opposite was true for both).
For LFR, i really dont think it matters as much. IF you have enough hit/exp to maintain high uptime of your actives, then i wouldnt go too overboard. Your uptimes can be monitored with WOL so you can rate yourself on your performance.

Personally, when im able, i will have 2 sets of gear for each situation as they arise (not there yet) as progression raiding is finicky.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Cptbeatstix
I usually call "control" builds as "threat" builds not being hit/expertise capped really hurts your threat generation specially when you see mages and other retarded classes putting insane numbers. Obviously a dead tank generates zero threat but you need to balance your avoidance stats after you cap your hit and expertise.

On my druid I am going more for a crit build which lets you generate a ton of rage.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to Cptbeatstix
You know Cptbeatstix, you constantly talk about having multiple tank toons however you ask some pretty dumb questions. What I take away from this particular dumb question is that you think as a tank that raids, that there is one set of gear you use as a tank. It's not one or the other, control, avoidance, hit, stam. you should have multiple extra pieces of gear to swap in on a per fight basis.
--
Use that Kudos button damnit!

liquoranne

reply to Jobbie
I actually saw a druid that had a lot of items reforged to crit. So im assuming this build is to maintain constant dodge buff. Makes sense. Again, multiple sets of gear for different situations. For example, high dodge works against swings, but if the boss does a bleed effect, higher mastery would mitigate more of the physical damage from it. So a mastery build would mitigate the bleeds more but a crit build could provide more healing to offset the increased damage.

A good maintank alwayss (and i repeat always) keeps extra peices of gear for specific situations. I have done so since Vanilla WoW for tanking purposes. Before it was for fight mechanics and raid composition. Now composition doesnt matter as much but fight mechanics do and how well your group can handle certain situations (enrage, mass amounts of damage).

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
Yep, smart druids are going for highest RPS builds.

liquoranne

Good to know. Again, been a week since i was 85 so im still growing. Just entered LFR for the first time yesterday and it went fine. This expa i have no plans on progression raiding (at the time being) so LFR will probably be it.

Guess ill look at my items and see what i need for RPS increases.

Cptbeatstix

Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mettachain
This would be true if I was in a progression raiding guild. Having multiple pieces of gear to swap on a per fight basis to me doesn't make too much sense. It's all on how you handle your cooldowns. I use one set of gear. Always have, even when I was doing progression back in BC and wrath on my paladin. You don't have to carry different pieces for tanking and it most certainly doesn't make you a bad tank for doing that. Leave it to you to turn a simple question on what OTHERS prefer into why I'm "dumb" for asking it. I never claimed to be a great tank. Funny though you do this, but rarely play the game.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
My Warrior. Effectively using CD's helps mitigate the damage where my Avoidance stats are a little lax.

Reforge to Hit and Expertise 7.5% or as close as you can.

Stam is still king, but Mr. Robot will throw a curve ball with Gems.

Mastery is a huge benefit also. Do not avoid it. IMO

BTW my tank sits and 465 ilvl or so. Its my off build. And I do tank Heroes from time to time but do not Raid Tank. Doing the WOW community a Favor due to ISP limitations. Now my DPS is another matter altogether.

Tweakbl

Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
Realize also you do not need to run at Exactly 7.5% Hit or Exp. Either. And Heroic Bosses are what...lvl 92? and Raid bosses are 93?
So knowing the content lvl's to cap you need is somewhat important. Although I am sure you knew that.

Currently my Warrior is at 6.93% Hit and 7.59% Exp.
This gives a 0.57% chance to miss a lvl 93 boss.
This is also going by Mr.Robot as much as I could at the moment.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
reply to Cptbeatstix
said by Cptbeatstix:

Having multiple pieces of gear to swap on a per fight basis to me doesn't make too much sense.

Derp. Okay.
said by Cptbeatstix:

I use one set of gear. Always have, even when I was doing progression back in BC and wrath on my paladin.

You weren't progressing as a tank on your paladin in BC. You likely tanking Mag T and Gruul and only as an OT. Gearing a paladin tank in BC was extremely hard as there were very few plate pieces that everything pallies needed.

You were taking more damage on certain fights than what you should've been. You mean you didn't have Frost resist gear in Naxx that you swapped in for the last couple bosses? Yeah, you're bad.

said by Cptbeatstix:

You don't have to carry different pieces for tanking and it most certainly doesn't make you a bad tank for doing that.

It makes you a casual player, well not even casual just oblivious. For you to think that one set of gear is the only requirement for you as a tank is just ignorant. Where have you read about the magical one set to rule them all (encounters)? I need me that set!
--
Use that Kudos button damnit!

Tweakbl

Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
Maybe so in BC or Wrath but what about now?

I do not see or rather have not heard of any need to swap gear on boss fights in Cata or MOP. Get the Hit and Exp up to 7.5% and then dump to dodge and parry.

They simplified Tanking so much, lets face it Tanks in Randies is still a long que to wait as a DPS. So why would they make it like a Druid and need 2 sets in this content?

Granted, I am speaking from a warriors perspective, but I see no difference in Paladins Tanks sets and that of a Warriors.

I am a Casual "Hardcore". Casual in the sense I do not really Raid. Hardcore in the sense I have over 255 days on my main and several Achieves. :-P

liquoranne

reply to Cptbeatstix
Not too sure about now a days....as unless your pushing progression limits one set is probably plenty....but in wotlk and prior having multiple sets was key. I agree, for normal raiding one set is fine for this expac ....they gave us actives to manage our survive so dps is stats hold a certain weight. I no longer live on the edge of progression tho so top tier raiders may think different

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to Cptbeatstix
said by Cptbeatstix:

So I've been thinking about this a lot and I'm thinking about doing a "control" reforge for my tank gear on my warrior. Right now, I'm pure avoidance with 46% just sitting there and about 116% with shield block up.

What do you guys prefer, control reforge or avoidance reforge. I do great in LFR by not taking a crap load of spike damage. I always get a healer that whispers me something like "Thanks for not being a squishy tank.

Not being a squishy tank is more a "skill in using cooldowns" issue and not a stat weight issue. I've had people tell me the same thing on my monk.

That said, I like having hit/expertise capped on my tanks, regardless of class. Why? Well, Vengeance is one. If Blizz is gonna give me free AP, I want to be able to use it. The other is that (iirc) every tank class now gets resources from actually hitting the mobs. You use these resources to reduce the damage you take. If you miss with an ability, no resource, and you're going to potentially take more damage.

There's nothing more annoying than missing your "big resource" ability several times in a row. Is it likely? No, but you remember every time it happens. Plus, while threat redirects exist, if you're in a 10-man, you might not have one. Or two, if the fight has mobs that need to be tanked apart, or at least not both on the same tank. Taunt only lasts 6 seconds, which is 4 specials. Fewer taking into account time the mob takes to get to you. Before I switched to hit/exp capping in Cataclysm, missing three attacks after a taunt wasn't likely, but devastating when it happened. Since then, I've enjoyed things a lot more, and things just feel smoother.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.