uniqs
share rss forum feed

danman48

join:2007-10-11
Huntington Beach, CA
reply to Reyr

Re: Fios Media Server

Hi Party People,
Dave Zatz has most of it covered in his article, but I talked to the VZ guy for about 30 minutes and here are my notes:

You'll be able to put 2 VMS's in the home for a total of 10 (12 if you count the VMS boxes).
You'll not need a ONT upgrade to go past 7 TVS
You'll get 5 TV per VMS
NINJA EDIT: You'll need a Rev I router.
Each client (IPC1100) will be chained to a VMS box so each acted like it's own DVR.
The software they were running is likely to be 1.9.5, it cleans up some stuff and the widgets look better
All devices will be able to access recordings from each VMS and the VMSs will be able to see recordings from each other.
The client boxes are small, they run on 12V so you'll have a standard power brick, but it helps in mounting them behind TVs.
They both have IR extender ports so hiding the boxes will be cool.
Use the same remotes as exisiting.
The back of the VMS looks like the regular boxes.
The processor in the VMS is much faster
I asked about MPEG4 roll out in the context of dropping the QIP2500 and 6000s series boxes and they're just going to do it organically as they're doing now. If you want new content that is MPEG4 you'll have to "get" a new box. No word on when that was going to happen.

The point was brought up about if you're watching 4 TVs can you only record 2 other shows. I'll ask about that a little more tomorrow.
But most people have more TVs than people in their house so either you're REALLY anti social or this isn't going to be the solution for you.

Also I'll confirm but I'm pretty sure you either have the VMS or the current system but they won't work in tandem.

As long as it doesn't suck and won't be buggy (soo...it'll likely suck and be buggy for a while) it'll be an interesting step.

I asked about using iPad to stream recorded content and that's in the pipleine, so I figure probably a year.

They also had a demo of RedBox Instant by verizon. No discount for verizon FIOS and no intergration. Verizon is just pay for it basically. It'll be $8/month unlimited streaming and 4 free real DVDs from a red box machine a month. You'll be able to go offline only on tablet and mobile for flights, computer you'll still need to stream. And they will have a pretty good selection of movies. They'll also be on Samung TVs and I think LG...I asked about a native FIOS app...NOPE. haha...

Msg me questions..I'll check back tomorrow morning before the show and see if I can get some answers for you.

my feet hurt...time for a drink

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

Good info, thx

Sixto
Premium
join:2005-09-16
Northeast
reply to danman48

Great post. Much better answers.

Biggest remaining curiosity is if the client tuners will be utilized, basically the question of when 4 remote TV's are on will the VMS1100 only record 2 shows.

Allowing multiple VMS' and enabling each client and server to see all content from either server is perfect.

I'm currently a huge fan of the DirecTV H25/HR34 solution, but this VMS solution will make it an interesting comparison.

I have 7 TV's. His and Her's VMS1100's, with 5 clients, where the clients can operate independently (own tuner) thus allowing 12 active recordings would be awesome.

One last question, if the client needs to always steal a VMS tuner, when the client is off will it release the tuner?

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to danman48

The big question for me is: Why does one need the Rev I / GigE router in order for this new Media Server and client boxes to work together? That is my biggest question of the night.

Is it because it'll stream the content to the boxes at over 100mbps?

I think they said that this will start rolling out Def this year, but I believe that we will see it probly in the fall.

Also, I guess that to enable iPad streaming, it will just be a software or firmware update? Whenever that will be. And I would imagine that we can then stream ALL channels we subscribe to, as well ad view DVR content ?

Thanks.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to danman48

I also have another question:

I thought that these boxes were going to be hooked up via Ethernet and WiFi? For example, the Media Server would be connected to the router by Ethernet, and the client boxes would connect via WiFi or Ethernet, so one could Velcro thm to your TV.

They even had a video last year about this. I have it bookmarked. It showed a 3D channel being streamed wirelessly to a client box attached to a tv being rolled down a hallway. Does anyone remember this?

So, in addition , ask them if this is the correct setup , or will it have to be coax? Even though they said the former. Or if there will be a software/firmware update to enable that.

Thanks.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

said by Webcobbler :

I thought that these boxes were going to be hooked up via Ethernet and WiFi? For example, the Media Server would be connected to the router by Ethernet, and the client boxes would connect via WiFi or Ethernet, so one could Velcro thm to your TV.

They even had a video last year about this. I have it bookmarked. It showed a 3D channel being streamed wirelessly to a client box attached to a tv being rolled down a hallway. Does anyone remember this?

So, in addition , ask them if this is the correct setup , or will it have to be coax? Even though they said the former. Or if there will be a software/firmware update to enable that.

Thanks.

Read back through the thread, nycdave See Profile offers some nice insight on your questions.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
reply to Webcobbler

said by Webcobbler :

The big question for me is: Why does one need the Rev I / GigE router in order for this new Media Server and client boxes to work together? That is my biggest question of the night.

Is it because it'll stream the content to the boxes at over 100mbps?

I think they said that this will start rolling out Def this year, but I believe that we will see it probly in the fall.

Also, I guess that to enable iPad streaming, it will just be a software or firmware update? Whenever that will be. And I would imagine that we can then stream ALL channels we subscribe to, as well ad view DVR content ?

Thanks.

Maybe this device requires IPv6?? Could it be this is what will help bring it? One can only hope..

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to Webcobbler

said by Webcobbler :

Thanks.

I think I know which video you're talking about, and even in that video Verizon was pretty clear about this - initially the hookups will be wired. When it first comes out, you'll need a coax connection to the satellite boxes. But eventually (not sure when) they'll allow for wireless connectivity. They've always said that the initial configuration will be wired.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to Webcobbler

These are the 2 videos I was talking about earlier. They show and explain that the Media Server and client boxes are or will be hooked up via Ethernet directly, or WiFi. IMHO, it cuts the cord on Coax.

The question is then... Coax is the initial setup, then will a software/firmware update come to enable Ethernet and WiFI, as well as streaming all subscribed channels and DVR / freeVOD to the iPad etc?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=QogfVxts···youtu.be

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dCi6ul1···youtu.be

I know I might have reiterated my questions or statements from earlier, and I apologize.

Thanks

Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

I would assume those features will be down the line since we know its going to a staged rollout