mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:11

2 edits
reply to coxta

Re: Crazy problem

said by coxta:

Perhaps switching to cascade mode will do the trick but I'm not sure about including the surveillence system.

Depending on what your router is, you could have multiple options for configuring this.

If it's a generic residential/soho wireless router thing, you can't use the "cascaded router" option. However if it's a real router that lets you set custom routes and NAT rules then "cascaded router" would be the ideal way to go.

Assuming it's just a generic wireless router, the "Public Subnet" option is probably your best bet. Just
1) turn on "Public Subnet"
2) Give it an address from within your subnet (the "Public IPv4 Address" field) and let it know what your netmask is
3) Set both "DHCPv4 Start Address" and "DHCPv4 End Address" to be another IP from your subnet (make them both the same)
4) Set up your surveillance system and router with more addresses from your subnet, setting their gateway to the IPyou gave the NVG in step #2

Example: if AT&T gave you 1.2.3.0/29, then you have 1.2.3.1-1.2.3.6 to play with:
1) turn on "Public Subnet"
2) Give the NVG the IP 1.2.3.1 and netmask 255.255.255.248
3) Set both "DHCPv4 Start Address" and "DHCPv4 End Address" to 1.2.3.2
4) Assign 1.2.3.3 to your security system and 1.2.3.4 to your router, setting the default gateway on both to 1.2.3.1
5) Done! You can assign 1.2.3.5 and 1.2.3.6 to any additional routers/security systems/whatever you add later.

I can post instructions for the "Cascaded Router" option if needed...

/M

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

No, it's a vanilla soho router and I know there isn't a budget for another router.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:11

said by coxta:

No, it's a vanilla soho router and I know there isn't a budget for another router.

I assumed as much, which is why I posted instructions for the "Public Subnet" option instead

/M