share rss forum feed

onthecake

join:2003-08-08
Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·VOIPO

2 edits

New speeds in KCMO

This may have already been posted but I didnt see anything...

After noticing downloads run much faster than I am used to I tested my wideband or whatever they call it now and am getting 100 mbps.

I will take it.

»stopthecap.com/2012/12/20/more-s···as-city/

UPDATED: Including URL for speedtest as requested.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2425716753.png

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

wow, nice. Would you mind showing a screenshot of your modem's signal stats?

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to onthecake

Pretty sure you are running kasperksy antivirus or something like that when I was with TWC the program would cause it for speedtests to show different thing.

onthecake

Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·VOIPO

said by patt2k:

Pretty sure you are running kasperksy antivirus or something like that when I was with TWC the program would cause it for speedtests to show different thing.

Thats a negative

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to patt2k

said by patt2k:

Kansas City is a test market for 100/5 ultimate and 50/5 extreme.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to onthecake

oh I gotchu

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

Kansas City is a test market for Google Fiber. Because Time Warner is feeling some competitive pressure, they're upgrading to 100/5 ultimate and 50/5 extreme.

Fixed that for you.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by djrobx:

said by motorola870:

Kansas City is a test market for Google Fiber. Because Time Warner is feeling some competitive pressure, they're upgrading to 100/5 ultimate and 50/5 extreme.

Fixed that for you.

well TWC hinted at expanding the 100/5 ultimate and 50/5 extreme to other markets and I have a feeling it will be markets with Fios and At&t uverse (mainly markets with Uverse that have Fios in parts as well such as the Dallas (North Texas) market which is split between verizon and at&t and the TWC system is a large cluster that runs on the same frequency plan except for the small patch that is 750MHz in an outer county that has DOCSIS 3.0 competition from the local power coop that has an HFC Fiber network that is offering 30/2 and 50/2 plans for their top tiers .

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
reply to onthecake

100/5? One day I expect to see 200/5. Using the future 24 channel bonding, 900/9. Upstream gets no respect.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to onthecake

I believe it but in future try to link the image and link from speedtest.net as you can always click forum link and url for every test on speedtest.net instead of uploading the picture here on board, then it makes it more reliable.

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
reply to patt2k

said by patt2k:

What relevence does this question have with the results of the OP.
Wildest dreams can make not one connection

mdpeterman

join:2010-10-10
Westerville, OH
reply to onthecake

Really TWC? 105/5? That's the most ridiculous thing I've seen. Every other ISP offering 100+Mbps offers at least 10, some 20mbps. What cost is there for TWC to offer faster upload speeds? If I need to upload a 5GB file, I'm going to upload it if it takes 2 hours or 4. I'm going to use the bandwidth so just provide a reasonable upload speed.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by mdpeterman:

Really TWC? 105/5? That's the most ridiculous thing I've seen. Every other ISP offering 100+Mbps offers at least 10, some 20mbps. What cost is there for TWC to offer faster upload speeds? If I need to upload a 5GB file, I'm going to upload it if it takes 2 hours or 4. I'm going to use the bandwidth so just provide a reasonable upload speed.

not true and it is 100/5 not 105/5 the 101Mbps download includes the padding overhead that TWC provides on extreme and ultimate. Also suddenlink offers 107/5 in some markets so not all companies offer more than 10Mbps on the upload with 100Mbps. Also Charter doesn't offer more than 5Mbps on the upload for their 100Mbps product either.

There is no cost to offer faster upload speeds for TWC up the upload speed just need a clean return path and upstream bonding enabled. Although I wonder what is the acceptable max the system can handle due to how TWC provisions their CMTS with the mix of QAM64 and QAM16 upstreams as some areas have 4 upstreams while others only have 2 or 3. My areas is already upstream bonding and has 6 downstream QAMs for internet.

sticks435

join:2004-05-25
Kansas City, MO

said by motorola870:

said by mdpeterman:

not true and it is 100/5 not 105/5 the 101Mbps download includes the padding overhead that TWC provides on extreme and ultimate. Also suddenlink offers 107/5 in some markets so not all companies offer more than 10Mbps on the upload with 100Mbps. Also Charter doesn't offer more than 5Mbps on the upload for their 100Mbps product either.

There is no cost to offer faster upload speeds for TWC up the upload speed just need a clean return path and upstream bonding enabled. Although I wonder what is the acceptable max the system can handle due to how TWC provisions their CMTS with the mix of QAM64 and QAM16 upstreams as some areas have 4 upstreams while others only have 2 or 3. My areas is already upstream bonding and has 6 downstream QAMs for internet.

I think TWC is in the processing of bonding everyone to 4 upstream channels, just haven't gotten them all done yet. I think once that is done, the rumor is that it will be 100/25 and 50/10, but may end up just being 100/10 and 50/10. Hopefully we'll see soon

fatal

join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY
reply to onthecake

no love for nyc

areoh

join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

How wide-spread is this the KC area? We're moving to Galdstone and will probably order service, but it's not clear what's available (LVL 1 sales reps don't seem to have any info.)

thorin

join:2007-11-08
Liberty, MO
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

It's the whole KC division. All speeds were bumped. They are the following

Lite - 5 down 1 up
Basic - 10 down 1 up
Standard - 15 down 1 up
Turbo Pass - 20 down 2 up
Turbo - 30 down 5 up
Extreme - 50 down 5 up
Ultimate - 100 down 5 up

Hope that helps. Haven't heard anything about upload changes, some of the hubs aren't upstream bonding yet.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

What does the Pass part of the "Turbo Pass" tier mean? Is this a new tier now in KC?

thorin

join:2007-11-08
Liberty, MO
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by nephipower:

What does the Pass part of the "Turbo Pass" tier mean? Is this a new tier now in KC?

Turbo Pass is the old turbo tier. They decided to keep the old turbo and up the speed.

reply to thorin

I can tell you near Gladstone we average 15mbps down 5 up. Tonight? 1 down 1 up. Turbo tier! Varies widely here in 64068 area code (pleasant valley) but almost never get the advertised speeds. Stumbled on this thread trying to find out if there was an outage in my area. Apparently this is upgraded service? Great....

onthecake

Kansas City, MO

From my experience with them once we went to DOCSIS 3 (which I believe the top 2 tiers use) I have not had any slowdowns at the heavy use hours.