Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to dsl2u

Re: [Other] Nettalk reliability in Canada?

There are a lot of negative reviews on Amazon Canada site, including some funny/sad comments.

»www.amazon.ca/product-reviews/B0···points=0

It is difficult to understand why renewals of my service with this loose agglomeration of employees (as opposed to a fully-functional company) is so incredibly difficult. I suspect the CEO isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, like any bad commanding officer.

Dec. 8, 2012 --- I will no longer recommend Nettalk. In my opinion, for well over the past half year, my Nettalk's audio quality and call reliability has gone steadily downhill to the point that I can no longer rely upon it. Audio quality problems may include: digital distortion, echos, out of synch-conversations between me and my caller, random disconnects, garbled audio, stuttering......I've since switched to an Obi100 ATA device (sold on Amazon) and I now use another VOIP carrier. I am getting much, much better results now as a result. To sum up, I no longer recommend Nettalk.

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
Yes....I would concur. Maybe their network is getting progressively more congested and they don't spend the money necessary to free up resources? There are so many things wrong with this company I won't even start...lol. The answer for VOIP is user your computer with a softphone. Gmail for outgoing calling (Skype can also be used for toll free which access almost all large companies) and Voip.ms or Les.net or others for incoming. If you're in a small city it can be difficult to get a local number. What somebody should do is offer a number that rings your Skype or MSN IM account. Like ring2me but their site looks like its not being updated. It seems to work now though for Skype but who knows for how long? VOIP companies are notoriously flakey.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by dsl2u:

VOIP companies are notoriously flakey.

As with people, some are, some are not.

Regarding Nettalk, most of their income probably comes from the first-time buyers. Their incentive to provide customer support or quality phone service after that is lower.

Nettalk seems to be somewhat better than MJ but in the same ballpark.

There [are] good VoIP providers in both countries....

dsl2u

CANADA
Do you have any recommendations? We are listening!

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
It's well known here that I am a very happy customer of CallCentric. Many ways to do it, one way would be NorthAm500 for outbound calls (this plan includes 911 fee) and Personal Unlimited for inbound calls, monthly total 12.90
»www.callcentric.com/products/

Does it cost more than NetTalk does? Yes. But what is good reliable home phone service worth to you? And it is still far less than you'd pay the POTS companies.

---------------------------------

Other good providers also available to you in Canada would include (among others):

Fongo (Dell Voice)
»www.fongo.com/home-phone/

Another Fongo brand
»www.freephoneline.ca/

Acrovoice (a full service VoIP provider)
»www.acrovoice.ca/content/residential_service

Voip.MS (which should be in good shape after some server upspiffs)
»www.voip.ms/

Anveo (a little hard for the newcomer though unless your name is Hofstadter or Wolowitz)
»www.anveo.com/consumer/default.asp
»www.anveo.com/

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
What about using per minute rates for incoming (if you don't get many incoming calls) and Voxox for outgoing (unlimited) as they allow you to send any caller ID number you want to the receiver? That way you're always using the same number. Its not good when you call someone from a number you don't want a return call to. You can just call them back on the outgoing line freeing up your incoming line for more calls. Most VOIP services have call waiting but it gives you much more control if you can hear both lines at the same time. You can't hear the other line when you use call waiting. The key to this all working is mic going to both lines but being able to mute it to either so you control where your voice is going.

I don't understand why people bother with outgoing minutes. They are free with so many companies as well as Gmail.

All we should be concerned with are incoming minutes. If you tend to have lots of short calls under a minute, then a company like Voip.ms is great as they bill in 6 second increments. And at about a penny per minute, that means incredibly low monthly costs. If you have lots of calls then get an unlimited package for about $5-10 a month depending on the provider.

The key to this working is to be able to control the number your outgoing provider is sending to the receiver. If anyone knows of another company besides Voxox that allows this (besides perhaps Google Voice) please let us know. Its an invaluable feature.

Also, its mighty nice to be on a separate outgoing line and be able to walk away for a while (say if you're on hold for a long time) and not worry if you'll miss some faint, call waiting beep when someone calls you. That's why businesses always have separate outgoing lines and incoming lines.

When you think of the features you need, always designate them as outgoing or incoming in nature. This will help clarify things for people new to this.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 edit
reply to PX Eliezer70
Regarding Anveo I have a few questions as their website is not so informative.

Do they really charge $2 a month for unlimited incoming calling for a Canadian number? Why would anyone get a $1 per/minute account if for a dollar they can get unlimited?

They mention Floating Channels. Is that another term for call waiting? If so, why wouldn't they just say Call Waiting or explain that? The unlimited plan has no Floating Channels whereas the per/minute plan does.

Do you need a credit in your account to try out the service to make outgoing calls?

Is the minimum credit $10? It looks like it when you are taken to the Payment page and you can choose either Paypal or Google Checkout.
How's the voice quality compared to a good provider like Voip.ms?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

What about using per minute rates for incoming (if you don't get many incoming calls) and Voxox for outgoing (unlimited) as they allow you to send any caller ID number you want to the receiver? That way you're always using the same number.

Sure, you can do that.

With the flex providers such as CallCentric, Voip.MS, etc., you can choose different options inbound vs. outbound, and for that matter you can just choose one direction only.

said by dsl2u:

I don't understand why people bother with outgoing minutes. They are free with so many companies as well as Gmail.

Well, you discussed quality and reliability. GMail is reliable in the sense that they are Google. They are perhaps undesirable in other ways.

One is that they undermine the ability of quality independent providers to survive.

[Disclaimer: The following rant is not personal!]

CallCentric, Voip.MS, FutureNine, Anveo, etc., all all innovative and all try to provide good service. But it's hard to compete when a big company like Google comes and offers to "put out" for free.

One fine day when all the competitors are gone, maybe it won't be so free anymore....

It's the same reason that I try to support my local Ace hardware dealer, and the local plumbing supply store, electrical supply store, etc., rather than always going to Lowes or Home Depot. Because I want to preserve the existence of the smaller stores.

If the smaller stores go out of business, then we are totally at the mercy of whatever crumbs the Wal-Marts of the world choose to toss us. And Wal-Mart [is] good for a country, as long as the country is China....

I also don't want the extensive data mining that Google does. Rest assured that they know far more about you than does the NSA or CSEC or GCHQ.... /rant

BTW, although some things are available from GMail, Google Voice is not fully available in Canada. I didn't think that Voxox was either, I may be wrong.

When you think of the features you need, always designate them as outgoing or incoming in nature. This will help clarify things for people new to this.

This is certainly helpful.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

People here feel that Anveo has good service and voice quality.

Someone else will have to explain their calling plans, they are too complex for my poor brain. I find it easier to deal with leukotrienes and cytokines.

"It takes a full time expert to decode this stuff".

----From "Beep" by James Blish (1954)

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
I understand your hesitancy in letting Gmail record all your calls and its valid. But there are numerous other companies that are offering free outgoing calling to people in the US and Canada. The key is finding a company that lets its users (like Voxox) control what number is displayed when making that call.

> Someone else will have to explain their calling plans, they are too complex for my poor brain.

Exactly my point. Their website is a mess. But don't let that stop you from enjoying their services. It looks like they beat other VOIP companies soundly by offering unlimited incoming calling for just $2. Who can come close to that? Their support, while just chat based (don't think they have phone support), was excellent when I recently communicated with them. As long as you can type you're OK. It was down for a while today; not sure what their uptime percentage is. It costs $10 to join as that is their minimum payment but if you don't like anything you can cancel within 24 hours. You use it with a computer based softphone like Xlite or you can buy an unlocked ATA for very little on a place like Ebay (like about $20). Not sure if the type of ATA you choose influences things much. Others experienced with using a few of them could offer their opinions here. If you want flexibility in the home and want to use things like cordless phones you'll need an ATA. Otherwise a bluetooth headset will give you mobility in the room with the computer.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by dsl2u:

It looks like (Anveo) beat other VOIP companies soundly by offering unlimited incoming calling for just $2. Who can come close to that?

Well, Localphone does that for $ 0.99 (99 cents) but in the USA.

Sad to say, Localphone charge $ 3.00 a month for that in Canada.

Strange.

But often caller ID isn't working, there is no dial tone, and other issues reduce my love for this company (Nettalk)

Not trying to give you a hard time, but which is your prime goal at this point, reliability or ultra-low cost?

Sometimes hooking up cheaply has its own consequences....

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

Do they really charge $2 a month for unlimited incoming calling for a Canadian number?

Yes, and you get two inbound channels (=two inbound concurrent calls).

said by dsl2u:

They mention Floating Channels. Is that another term for call waiting? If so, why wouldn't they just say Call Waiting or explain that? The unlimited plan has no Floating Channels whereas the per/minute plan does.

"Floating Channel" is not a term for Call Waiting.

A Floating Channel is an incoming channel which is NOT assigned to any particular phone number and can be used to receive calls to any phone number in your account (with Floating Channels support) and Inbound SIP Trunk.

The number of Floating Channels depends on the subscription level as following:
FREE plan: - 1 Floating Channel
Starter plan: - 2 Floating Channels
Professional plan: - 4 Floating Channels
Business plan: - 5 Floating Channels

said by dsl2u:

Do you need a credit in your account to try out the service to make outgoing calls?

Yes.

said by dsl2u:

Is the minimum credit $10? It looks like it when you are taken to the Payment page and you can choose either Paypal or Google Checkout.

The minimum deposit is $20, but the first deposit can be as low as $10.

said by dsl2u:

How's the voice quality compared to a good provider like Voip.ms?

Today many providers do have a good voice quality, so it can be difficult to make a comparison. I have been using Anveo for over two years and I find the audio quality to be top class.

Your ears are the best to judge the voice quality so I suggest you test Anveo, you only need to deposit $10.
--
My VoIP News

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

People here feel that Anveo has good service and voice quality.

I couldn't agree more.

said by PX Eliezer70:

Someone else will have to explain their calling plans, they are too complex for my poor brain.

Their calling plans and features are very easy to use and understand.

More important, the many features and tools makes Anveo the perfect voip provider for business users. You can start small and easily scale it up to almost any size.
--
My VoIP News