Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Optimus2357

Premium Member

to Optimus2357

Re: Need new model suggestion ultimate

So these modems are the same, capability-wise, just the 6141 uses a Ti chipset and the 6180 uses Broadcom?
EyeInTheSky
join:2010-09-20
Las Vegas, NV

EyeInTheSky

I believe so, based on what I have read elsewhere.

Next models will be 24x8!
»www.prnewswire.com/news- ··· 842.html

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
There's probably a bunch of tiny differences between the two, but the main one is the SB6180 has two physical tuners inside while the SB6141 only has 1. This may have some pro's and con's. I would think with two tuners, issues on freq that the first tuner is using is less likely to effect the other tuner. But I would imagine they would have to split the signal internally to give the signal to the two tuners. Assuming that is true, the SB6180 may not handle lower signal levels as the SB6141 in real life scenario's.

Only way to be sure is buy both and compare. But in my book, signal levels can always be improved, so go with the hardware with more capabilities; SB6180.
Optimus2357

Optimus2357 to EyeInTheSky

Premium Member

to EyeInTheSky
said by EyeInTheSky:

I believe so, based on what I have read elsewhere.

Next models will be 24x8!
»www.prnewswire.com/news- ··· 842.html

Yea, I saw Intel has a similar chip. I think will be a while though before any ISP starts using 24/8. Not until the pricing on 100Mb+ becomes low enough to become the norm. Maybe 1-2, but probably closer to 3-4.
EyeInTheSky
join:2010-09-20
Las Vegas, NV

EyeInTheSky to Optimus2357

to Optimus2357
Top post on this page talks about tuners:
»Re: sb6141, sb6180, zoom5341, dpc3010

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Very informative, thank you. However, the source he was quoting from, Broadcom, could very well be a bias source. I mean, of-course they are going to say their newer chip is better. Any engineers (even if non-cox) have a opinion of which performs better in Cox's general infrastructure?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Optimus2357:

...which performs better in Cox's general infrastructure?

Cox, like any large cable provider, has an infrastructure that varies depending on the area. Different CMTS makes, models, software, and configurations. Yes, they try to get it homogenous over the years, but it never really is.

Then you have to deal with the different modem models AND firmware versions.

This all means a modem which works perfect in one area may have odd issues in another.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Yes, but both methods must work across the network if its on the Cox approved modem list. So I was looking more for a Engineers opinion on what method generally works better in their opinion. Yes, it may be bias to their particular area, but at-least it would be real life input vs what we can read on a datasheet.