spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

HDMI output to HDMI Splitter

I got an AVerMedia HD DVR "Capture Card" with an with HDMI input along with component and composite inputs.
I`m wondering whether I can use an HDMI "splitter" after my HD 722 DISH SAT box output, to feed both my HDTV and capture card at the same time?
Or will there be some sort of "copyguard protection" using a splitter?

Also, what is the considered distance you can effectively run an unamplified HD signal through an HDMI cable?

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

1 edit

Juke Box

Premium Member

HDMI natively is supported to 15 ft.

However, I have a 25ft HDMI cable from my pc to the monitor with no issues. I have a 20 ft from the same pc to a 47 in TV with no problems.

Depending on some factors, such as EMF from power cords in the area. One might get away with it to 50ft. I know there are 100ft cables but I would be reluctant to use them. I would probably go with HDMI over Ethernet with anything over 50ft.

In regards to the splitter. I don't see there be any issue.

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

Thanks Juke Box for your informed reply.

Monoprice sells an amplified Splitter which they claim is good for 50ft using special shielded 22AWG HDMI cable. I`m likely to run only about 25 to 30ft from Sat.box DVR to computer capture card.

I`m more concerned about whether or not my DISH 722 DVR has HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) encryption? I would like to find out before I pop for splitter and extra long cable(s)

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to mattrixx

Premium Member

to mattrixx
There isn't any "encryption" in regards to individual equipment. However, most HDMI hardware uses HDCP. Whether or not the splitter supports HDCP and whether it will function with your hardware I don't know. The hardware specs or Monoprice should be able to tell you if HDCP is supported. As for whether it will work in your setup, the only way to know is to test it.

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

After researching a bit, I find both the Monoprice Splitter and DISH DVR 722 are HDCP compliant. The question(s) now become whether I will be able to record this HDCP compliant HDMI output to my AVerTV HD DVR capture card?

(Quote from AVerTV Quick installation guide)
"To preview HDMI source with HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) encryption, a copy-protection scheme of HDMI specification, your HDMI display devices must be HDCP compliant.
Please note that HDMI contents with HDMI encryption cannot be recorded."

Like I said previously, I would like to find out whether I can record an HDMI signal *BEFORE* I purchase an Amplified HDMI Splitter and HDMI Cables.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box

Premium Member

To me, it would seem like if your feed and devices need to support HDCP then you need a splitter that supports it also.

Looking at these HDMI Splitters from C2G and reading the reviews. Technically, what you want to do will work at least should.

Since you have the need and if you decide to try this, let us know your findings.