join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Guspaz

Re: Looking for some router recommendations

said by Guspaz:

Consider that if your router is not capable of simultaneous N and G, it'll be effectively locked to one or the other permanently. In practice, especially when comparing 5 GHz N to 2.4GHz G (you always want to run 802.11n on 5 GHz if possible due to the much greater spectrum available), you're not going to log into your router and reconfigure it, cutting off all your 5 GHz devices, just to occasionally play your wii.

I always understood that the router would just drop the N to G automatically if it detected a G device connecting, and then go back to N afterwards. If it's manual, I guess I would be better off getting a simultaneous one then.

Are the TP Link WDR series good overall? Hardware wise, the 3600 and 4300 seem to fit what I would need and the prices are decent.

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
said by ekster:

I always understood that the router would just drop the N to G automatically if it detected a G device connecting, and then go back to N afterwards.

That's pretty much it. Some routers might have a "N-only" mode which might squeeze a little more performance but it is usually not worth it given that your legacy G devices won't be able to connect.