how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

4K...

will be the new 3D--well, except for 4K being actually desirable. The TV manufacturers need something to hang their marketing on, and this will be the next "big thing" (literally--really big screens will need 4K in order for them to look as good as the "small" screens (those less than 50" or so)). As soon as I find something "wrong" with 1080p, then I'll start looking at 4K (so... probably never--don't think I'll live that long). Personally, I think anything larger than 42" doesn't look that good at 1080p unless you step back to SD viewing distances; so 80" and above will need 4K... 110" or so and above will need 8K (or more?). Why? -> $$$$ (Wonder what they'll have at CES2020?)
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Plus consider, how many people really have the room for an 80+ inch TV in their homes? Eventually this stuff will only ever cater to the upper middle class on up.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

New business op: home add-ons to make room for the new TV ("yeah... I want to punch out that wall right there another 8 feet...").
--

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to NotTheMama
one word GAMING will drive 4k like no other
wile for TV and movies it doesnt do much for PC and console gaming 4K will be the new hotness
i know id love a 30" 4k monitor for my PC

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Yeah, gaming seems to drive pretty much everything, especially related to processing and display. The only thing I really know* about gaming is: you can never have too much of anything (cycles, pixels, etc).

(*Actually, I don't really know anything about gaming other than what I read here and there about what others "know".)
--

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to NotTheMama
You think DVD and old SD content looks bad on a 1080p set wait until these things come out.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to NotTheMama
if people will shell out for 3+ display setups with 24" and 30" monitor they will pay for 4k displays