how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

The Huntsman

join:2011-10-19
United State

A Couple of Questions (Gen4)

Without my knowledge, my father went ahead and decided to "upgrade" to Gen4, and they're planning to come up the mountain where we live on Monday in order to install the new equipment. I used the quotation marks in that sentence because, frankly, I've heard a lot of bad things and the idea of switching to a daily FAP period to a monthly FAP period bothers me immensely.

With my current equipment, I get 475MB per day. That sucks, but if I hit the limit, I'm right as rain in 24 hours or I can just use a complimentary token. Even if I don't hit the limit, it re-fills constantly allowing me to never have to worry. And between 2:00 AM and 7:00 AM, I can download as much as I want. Nothing is currently stopping me from downloading 100 GB of stuff per month if I were dedicated enough to get full efficiency out of every single night.

But Gen4... we'll get 20 GB of daytime bandwidth, but all of those nifty features above seem to be missing. No more constant refills. No more complimentary tokens. No more limitless downloading at night. Sure, they give us an extra 20 GB per month specifically for nighttime downloading, but a limit is a limit.

Why can my old equipment download as much as I want at night, but the new equipment can't? Also, what will happen to the complementary tokens that I currently have? Should I just go ahead and use them, or will it still count towards Gen4 even though Gen4 doesn't have complimentary tokens?

Everything that I've seen seems to imply that Gen4 is a step backwards. It may be faster, and allow you to download larger files during the day, but the old stuff was much more user-friendly and was more forgiving. I'm not optimistic about this "upgrade" at all.

C0RR0SIVE88

@direcway.com

I say stay with your old system if you can and if it's working good for ya. If you do make the switch, they are supposed to transfer your current tokens to the new system, they wont be full resets, but will give you 500MB of data each.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
reply to The Huntsman

You have 30 days before you can get rid of it, but once the 30 days are up your stuck in a 2 year contract.. Right now my Gen4 is just having a severe web accelerator issue. Nothin else. Good luck

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

file complaints with the BBB and never accept the resolution. In my case Executive Customer services just gave in and said I could cancel without a termination fee, and I had the service for 3 months.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Thats great TexasRebel, however for us it looks like we're still being forced to stay cause its still our only option.. I swear even dial up would work at this point but even that ain't being served on my road or wireless connections of any kind and phone services like at&t or verizon are all expensive and through the roof for just 95mb per month.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to diablo1892

Huntsmans post indicates he is doing an "upgrade", therefore he will not have a 30 day trial period.

Once his Gen4 is IN, its In..good bad or otherwise.

I think the ETF is around $400

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to The Huntsman

Huntsman, I would try to stay with your present plan, they are having some ISSUES with Gen4 and dismal Hughes support system is running as usual. Poorly

nedriv

join:2006-08-07
Somerset, CA
reply to The Huntsman

Huntsman,
Why does your father think gen4 is a good idea? What does he expect to be able to do that he can't do with your current connection?

In any event, I would recommend you wait to upgrade until Hughes gets gen4 to work properly. From my monitoring of the complaints and the Hughes responses, it seems the problems PERSIST for months and still no resolution.

Have you looked at the posts from users and the responses from Hughes on the Hughes Community Forum or on the Hughes facebook page? You probably have, but if not, you might want to do so before you make the additional 2 year commitment.
--
HN9000 /

The Huntsman

United State

He thinks it will be faster. It probably will be, problems and all. It's just while he favors speed, I favor volume. Losing the data immunity at night is a pretty big deal. I have seen some people who say they are happy with their Gen4 service, but they're few and far between and aren't anywhere near as vocal as those who have had bad experiences.

I think I'm just going to ride the tiger and hope I don't get bit. Maybe I'll hit the proverbial lottery and the new equipment will work fully as advertised. If only...

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV
reply to The Huntsman

I think I'm just going to ride the tiger and hope I don't get bit. Maybe I'll hit the proverbial lottery and the new equipment will work fully as advertised. If only...

In that case look outside and see if the PCH van is at your house.

pvtpilot94
System
Premium
join:2001-11-23
Bucyrus, OH
reply to The Huntsman

I did the "upgrade" a few months ago and I wish I never did
--
HT1000 Beam 23

btowle

join:2013-01-13
reply to The Huntsman

Gen4 is much superior to the old Hughesnet and daily FAP. If you have the 20GB/month plan you get another 20GB/month between 2:00-8:00 am. The monthly FAP is much fairer than the daily one. Where we hit the daily FAP at least once a month, we may move down to a lower FAP limit account since we haven't come close to using our limit yet without using any of the 2-8 am amount..

Most days we might download 100MB at the most, but on some days we would like 2GB. Under the old system that was a hassle. With monthly FAP we haven't come close to the limit. It is much faster, especially the upload speed is the most noticable.

Our install was fast and easy. They just replaced the modem, dish and repointed the dish. It has worked flawlessly ever since. We are much happier with Gen4.

The Huntsman

United State

We'll see, btowle. They're supposed to install the stuff tomorrow. I wouldn't mind it so much if they at least kept the constant slow refill during periods of inactivity. Videos now-a-days are getting too large in size, and I can easily blow through 100 MB inadvertently just by watching a handful of videos. As it stands now, that 100 MB would be refilled overnight. With Gen4, I won't get that 100 MB back until the monthly billing period.

btowle

join:2013-01-13

But if you only use 100 mb/day it will take 200 days to use your allowance (if you have a 20gb limit). I hated the daily limit that we used to have and love the monthly one that we have now. Some days we just use a few mb and other days we use a gb or 2 and if never had to get into the other 20gb that I have in the early morning.

The Huntsman

United State

They've just installed it. Speeds are sitting at 3MB-4MB, but I wasn't even getting 1 MB before. I suppose that's progress, even if we're supposed to get "up to" 15 MB. I can see my remaining download limit in the control center, but how can I see how many bonus bytes I have left? Obviously, I haven't used any, but I intend to do so tonight. It just doesn't seem to be listed on the page.

Elkhorn

join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR

Huntsman - currently, the bonus bytes reset to 100% every day, and your anytime bytes should reset to 100% for the first few days of service (per HN)
I also prefer the monthly cap, but, I do have to keep an eye on daily usage...............
--
HT1000, Gen4, Power PLUS, Beam 10, Windows 7

The Huntsman

United State

said by Elkhorn:

Huntsman - currently, the bonus bytes reset to 100% every day

The guy who installed it said something to that effect. He claimed they had no way to track it. Even so, is there no way to check just in case? I'd rather not download things only to have it backfire.

Elkhorn

join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR

There's some issues with the modem control page showing correct usage at the mo, but, for me, the customer care page has always been accurate - »my.hughesnet.com/
--
HT1000, Gen4, Power PLUS, Beam 10, Windows 7

C0RR0SIVE88

@direcway.com
reply to The Huntsman

Your ISP can track every bit and byte if they wanted, they can even seen what websites, messages, and so on you are putting up if they really wanted to.

The Huntsman

United State

said by C0RR0SIVE88 :

Your ISP can track every bit and byte if they wanted, they can even seen what websites, messages, and so on you are putting up if they really wanted to.

That doesn't answer the question.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to The Huntsman

Anyone having strange problems tonight? I can't access facebook.com or google.com (both homepages) at all, just turned off web aceelerator and that improved speed but still cant access these websites or even yahoo.com

They can't all be down for maintenance are they?

diablo1892

Friendly, WV

NVM the problem mysteriously and suddenly at once gone away... Weird.