spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

h8rogers

join:2009-11-04

Rogers: "You cannot use a powerbar "

Internet is on the fritz. I have the Hitron modem and only one of the lights is blue. I do have some internet access. I called robbers.

Me: Hi, my internet is working intermittently.

Robbers: Is your modem connected to a power bar? If it is, that's the reason your internet is not working. It's because the modem can't draw enough power to work. If it still isn't working we will have to send a technician over.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia

said by h8rogers:

Internet is on the fritz. I have the Hitron modem and only one of the lights is blue. I do have some internet access. I called robbers.

Me: Hi, my internet is working intermittently.

Robbers: Is your modem connected to a power bar? If it is, that's the reason your internet is not working. It's because the modem can't draw enough power to work. If it still isn't working we will have to send a technician over.

Yup, had this on Wednesday. In the couple of minutes or so it took for me to arrange to have my modem not connected to a power bar, the tech I was speaking to established that the internet was out in a large area due to cable damage. He did at least have the decency to apologise for wasting my time.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 11.0.2 on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

3 edits
reply to h8rogers

said by h8rogers:

Robbers: Is your modem connected to a power bar? If it is, that's the reason your internet is not working.....

How any CSR could be of such a lowered intelligence level that they actually believe that the advice they are giving is even remotely acceptable is beyond belief.

It's not a training issue nor an experience related shortfall. This is just pure ignorance and stupidity combined with an attitude that deceiving the public is acceptable.

I've always wondered if Rogers call centers are located in the high security wing of their local mental institution and staffed by inmates on heavy doses of antipsychotic medication.

Sadly, that is the only reasonable explanation for the pathetic quality of technical advice that is given by Rogers frontline support personnel.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to h8rogers

LOL!!! They said the same to me!! Is modem hooked up to power bar! I said, no, it's hooked to a UPS! What's a UPS? They asked. It's an uninterruptible power supply. Go disconnect it, they said.

They truly have lost their minds.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to h8rogers

I suspect this is a case of perhaps one person having a defective power bar not delivering enough current to a modem. So now this is one of their "idiot question" on the check-list to go through.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

Sort of like reinstalling your tcp/IP stack in windows 9x to fix a problem.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to h8rogers

Yeah, I'd love to hear it tell me to unplug my modem from an APC SmartUPS, a network grade UPS.

I'm glad I'm not with Robbers or Bhell or any of the other big turds...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

cidknee0

join:2009-02-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to h8rogers

Yeah, I had them tell me that. I was like huh? What's my power bar got to do with anything? So I said there, i moved it.. (when I didn't) rebooted the modem for the 4th time and she went, oh..well that's better. I still ended up replacing the modem for the 4th time.
Moron.
The idiot scripts are fine for when a grandma or bubble head is calling in, but for those of us who know what we are talking about, we should have an option to bypass the first tier support.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by cidknee0:

The idiot scripts are fine for when a grandma or bubble head is calling in, but for those of us who know what we are talking about, we should have an option to bypass the first tier support.

The problem is many bubble heads THINK they know what they're talking about. If they just accepted the fact that they were morons, then your proposal might work. But as it is, they'd end up pushing through a bunch of idiots to a higher level (and presumably more expensive) level of support.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Yeah, I'd love to hear it tell me to unplug my modem from an APC SmartUPS, a network grade UPS.

I'm glad I'm not with Robbers or Bhell or any of the other big turds...

That's funny, because that's what I have.

Came in handy a few weeks ago when I was rewiring the house and cut off the main, kids were good during that 30 minute power failure.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

GI Suck
I Got Mail Yay

join:2004-01-14
Oshawa, ON
reply to h8rogers

Hold on a sec. Are you talking plugging the AC power through the power bar, or are we talking about those power bars that have built in cable rf protection built into it as well? Because if we are talking about the Cable RF protection power bar, and you are using that, there might be some merit.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

No... They're talking about the actual power cable into the bar.

They required TSI ask that.. Its bullshit.

Its also NOT the techs themselves, but its built into their script... You know how Windows has those 'diagnose your issue' choose an option to continue things... Thats what Rogers techs does. They don't know any better, as most barely even know how to turn on a bloody computer. Its pathetic.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Expand your moderator at work

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to h8rogers

Re: Rogers: "You cannot use a powerbar "

DAMN! That's why my cell never charges!
Forgot how powerbars restrict AC power consumption...

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

No... They're talking about the actual power cable into the bar.

They required TSI ask that.. Its bullshit.

Its also NOT the techs themselves, but its built into their script... You know how Windows has those 'diagnose your issue' choose an option to continue things... Thats what Rogers techs does. They don't know any better, as most barely even know how to turn on a bloody computer. Its pathetic.

I'd be willing to bet that the origin of the question WAS one of those coax surge suppressors built in to a power bar, and somehow that detail has been dropped from the script the drones use.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to h8rogers

Well, I hate to throw a wrench into the works, but there IS some logic in this ... not very good logic, but SOME.

Some power bars (typicall those made abroad) are notorious for poor internal connections causing power blips.

Some power bars manage to behave as an antenna and cause interference with the power blocks.

There are rare but as you note, they come out of the "it worked once, so it must apply to everybody, camp.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to h8rogers

It's a standard troubleshooting step to connect any electronic device directly to the wall, but to suggest that ALL power bars cannot be used is ridiculous.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

2 edits
reply to h8rogers

I've gotten to the point that I just flat out refuse to call Tech support anymore. Had the 3 hour DNS issue Thurs? nite and a 5 hour blackout tonite where the modem wouldn't sync not to mention a 1 hour blackout at noon today with the same sync issue.

My motto now: Wait for it to come back online. If it don't, Who cares? I'm pretty much sick of this whole f#cken Rogers and the Internet deal anyway.

Nothing but more fees, price hikes, shrinking caps and lousy service. Rinse and repeat daily.

Life was so much simpler/cheaper when all we had was a Bell POTS line, basic analog cable TV and a 24 of Molson Canadian ($5.35/case) to while away a Saturday nite (if you weren't at the Drive-In with a hot chick and a cooler full of cold ones).

Scotty, beam me back to the 70's. I've had enough with this 2013 shit.

simon726

join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON
reply to h8rogers

I had my Cisco DPC3825 (configured into bridge mode) plugged into my power bar, but judging by one of the people who had similiar experiences, I might consider plugging that modem (along with my Rogers Home Phone telephony modem) - into the wall.

Any suggestions to my situation? So far, my Cisco DPC3825 is working fine....

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

LOL!!! They said the same to me!! Is modem hooked up to power bar! I said, no, it's hooked to a UPS! What's a UPS? They asked. It's an uninterruptible power supply. Go disconnect it, they said.

They truly have lost their minds.

I would have responded that it's a package delivery company.

----

Whenever a CSR ask's me a useless question such as if my modem is connected to a power bar I always give them the answer that they're looking for.