Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

CBS owns CNET?

Well, CNET just lost credibility with me.

"Dear Felicia Dey,
I loved you. But when I found that your shows are being plugged by CNET, owned by CBS, I no longer feel the same inside."
--
Splat

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

2 recommendations

CBS is just another greedy #CorportateCow. Its time to take it out to pasture.

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to cableties

said by cableties:

Well, CNET just lost credibility with me.

"Dear Felicia Dey,
I loved you. But when I found that your shows are being plugged by CNET, owned by CBS, I no longer feel the same inside."

Agreed.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to cableties

Yea I did not realize that either. I'll have to think twice before I use the information in any of their reviews.

Regardless of the merits in this case it dramatically exposes the dangers of media consolidation on society. Rather then having a huge number of different sources, each with their own strength, weaknesses, and biases we have a few mega corporations pulling the strings.

/tom

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

And yet the FTC continues to allow consolidation.

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to cableties

said by cableties:

Well, CNET just lost credibility with me. . . .

CNET lost its credibility a long time ago. When reviews, subject matter and product articles started to become clearly "selective and biased". And reader comments started to point this out en masse. So when Clayton said that he looked forward to CNET's "Unbiased" review, I just had to laugh at either his complete ignorance/naivete or his blatant schmoozing. All he was looking for was best of show in a forum that has enough sheeple to add to his bottom line.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to cableties

the only way to get truly impartial reviews of gear and software is to pretty much have a subscription site.

because you could not have advertising without pressure from the advertisers to give their stuff a positive review. It is why most gaming publications are crap(print and internet), They do not want to lose the ad dollars so they do not piss in any pools even if a game is so terrible it makes ET on Atari look like Final Fantasy 6(aka 3 on the SNES).
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

jduffy
Premium
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH
reply to TwiztedZero

Greed is good. It drives innovation.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to FarmerBob

said by FarmerBob:

said by cableties:

Well, CNET just lost credibility with me. . . .

CNET lost its credibility a long time ago. When reviews, subject matter and product articles started to become clearly "selective and biased". And reader comments started to point this out en masse. So when Clayton said that he looked forward to CNET's "Unbiased" review, I just had to laugh at either his complete ignorance/naivete or his blatant schmoozing. All he was looking for was best of show in a forum that has enough sheeple to add to his bottom line.

Agreed. They are the online form of consumer reports. They use to be the goto people for tech reviews but now, I get better intel from Amazon or ebay.

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
·Comcast

said by tc1uscg:

Agreed. They are the online form of consumer reports. They use to be the goto people for tech reviews but now, I get better intel from Amazon or ebay.

CNET was my go to place for info. Then especially when the new site hit, it was very apparent that there was something strange going on at the CircleK. I too find that I get more usable information from Amazon and eBay customer reviews. Looks like a good portion of these forums are becoming very skewed. Too bad.