This is a sub-selection from Tuners

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to digiblur

Re: Tuners

Come on digiblur, in the real world, most people's lives don't center on TV 90% of the day, nor do most people have 4, 5, 6, or more TVs. We have (2) TVs connected to one Hopper and one Joey and admittedly, it's only been 2-3 weeks, but have not yet encountered a conflict.

Outside of Satguys, I've never read/heard complaints about the lack of sufficient tuners.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by Hall:

Come on digiblur, in the real world, most people's lives don't center on TV 90% of the day, nor do most people have 4, 5, 6, or more TVs.

There aren't 6 shows on TV at the same time worth recording. And even with households with many people and many TVs, recording 30 hours of TV a night, nobody is going to watch all those shows. Most of what is being recorded will never be watched.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

Come on digiblur, in the real world, most people's lives don't center on TV 90% of the day, nor do most people have 4, 5, 6, or more TVs. We have (2) TVs connected to one Hopper and one Joey and admittedly, it's only been 2-3 weeks, but have not yet encountered a conflict.

Outside of Satguys, I've never read/heard complaints about the lack of sufficient tuners.

Typical 4 TV family here. If we had one Hopper it wouldn't last one evening before I would throw it out the window. The two bedrooms would fire up some live TV and that only leaves one tuner left. If the primetime thing was on then there would be zero tuners left in the house for live and/or recording. No thanks.

People don't understand the 3 tuner thing as they are unaware that the other rooms steal their tuner from the hopper.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
I don't know. I was pretty aware that was happening and the DISH people also were pretty clear in explaining that.

Viewing habits are VERY household-centric. For us, 2 Hoppers are enough. If I keep DISH, I may add a 3rd Hopper, but that seems overkill. Our household seems to do fine with 6 tuners since it's mostly 2 TVs that get watched on any kind of regular basis. The other ones are mostly occasional use. Typically no more than 3 tuners are ever wacthed at the same time, if that many even. So that leaves plenty for recording.

But I can see where it wouldn't be enough if you have TVs in kids' bedrooms. We don't allow that, so 2 Hoppers is enough.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
reply to digiblur
said by digiblur:

said by Hall:

Typical 4 TV family here. If we had one Hopper it wouldn't last one evening before I would throw it out the window. The two bedrooms would fire up some live TV and that only leaves one tuner left. If the primetime thing was on then there would be zero tuners left in the house for live and/or recording. No thanks.

People don't understand the 3 tuner thing as they are unaware that the other rooms steal their tuner from the hopper.

In homes with more than three televisions, Dish installs two hopper units...

Four tvs = two hoppers and two joeys.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
Technically, I believe one Hopper can support four Joeys. If Dish automatically gives people two of each, they're admitting a design shortcoming.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
But doesn't it really depend on the particular household's usage?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
How many questions does Dish have to ask when signing someone up ? If the customer makes a mistake in the info they give, they could regret it real quick. If they simply ask "how many TVs do you want connected?", they should cover the worst-case scenario of that many TVs needing unique viewing capabilities all the time.

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

Technically, I believe one Hopper can support four Joeys. If Dish automatically gives people two of each, they're admitting a design shortcoming.

It can, but as we know, there will be problems

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

It can, but, as we know, there will be problems

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

It can, but, as we know, there will be problems.

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

It can, but, as we know, there will be usability problems.
Expand your moderator at work

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI
reply to digiblur

Re: Tuners

I have 2 dual tuner DVR's. I find it fits our needs just fine. When we want to watch something and both tuners are busy, we have to watch whats already recorded or the roku. It's not a tuff choice.