uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to PX Eliezer7

Re: [Other] Nettalk reliability in Canada?

What about using per minute rates for incoming (if you don't get many incoming calls) and Voxox for outgoing (unlimited) as they allow you to send any caller ID number you want to the receiver? That way you're always using the same number. Its not good when you call someone from a number you don't want a return call to. You can just call them back on the outgoing line freeing up your incoming line for more calls. Most VOIP services have call waiting but it gives you much more control if you can hear both lines at the same time. You can't hear the other line when you use call waiting. The key to this all working is mic going to both lines but being able to mute it to either so you control where your voice is going.

I don't understand why people bother with outgoing minutes. They are free with so many companies as well as Gmail.

All we should be concerned with are incoming minutes. If you tend to have lots of short calls under a minute, then a company like Voip.ms is great as they bill in 6 second increments. And at about a penny per minute, that means incredibly low monthly costs. If you have lots of calls then get an unlimited package for about $5-10 a month depending on the provider.

The key to this working is to be able to control the number your outgoing provider is sending to the receiver. If anyone knows of another company besides Voxox that allows this (besides perhaps Google Voice) please let us know. Its an invaluable feature.

Also, its mighty nice to be on a separate outgoing line and be able to walk away for a while (say if you're on hold for a long time) and not worry if you'll miss some faint, call waiting beep when someone calls you. That's why businesses always have separate outgoing lines and incoming lines.

When you think of the features you need, always designate them as outgoing or incoming in nature. This will help clarify things for people new to this.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by dsl2u:

What about using per minute rates for incoming (if you don't get many incoming calls) and Voxox for outgoing (unlimited) as they allow you to send any caller ID number you want to the receiver? That way you're always using the same number.

Sure, you can do that.

With the flex providers such as CallCentric, Voip.MS, etc., you can choose different options inbound vs. outbound, and for that matter you can just choose one direction only.

said by dsl2u:

I don't understand why people bother with outgoing minutes. They are free with so many companies as well as Gmail.

Well, you discussed quality and reliability. GMail is reliable in the sense that they are Google. They are perhaps undesirable in other ways.

One is that they undermine the ability of quality independent providers to survive.

[Disclaimer: The following rant is not personal!]

CallCentric, Voip.MS, FutureNine, Anveo, etc., all all innovative and all try to provide good service. But it's hard to compete when a big company like Google comes and offers to "put out" for free.

One fine day when all the competitors are gone, maybe it won't be so free anymore....

It's the same reason that I try to support my local Ace hardware dealer, and the local plumbing supply store, electrical supply store, etc., rather than always going to Lowes or Home Depot. Because I want to preserve the existence of the smaller stores.

If the smaller stores go out of business, then we are totally at the mercy of whatever crumbs the Wal-Marts of the world choose to toss us. And Wal-Mart [is] good for a country, as long as the country is China....

I also don't want the extensive data mining that Google does. Rest assured that they know far more about you than does the NSA or CSEC or GCHQ.... /rant

BTW, although some things are available from GMail, Google Voice is not fully available in Canada. I didn't think that Voxox was either, I may be wrong.

When you think of the features you need, always designate them as outgoing or incoming in nature. This will help clarify things for people new to this.

This is certainly helpful.