share rss forum feed

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 edit
reply to PX Eliezer70

Re: [Other] Nettalk reliability in Canada?

Regarding Anveo I have a few questions as their website is not so informative.

Do they really charge $2 a month for unlimited incoming calling for a Canadian number? Why would anyone get a $1 per/minute account if for a dollar they can get unlimited?

They mention Floating Channels. Is that another term for call waiting? If so, why wouldn't they just say Call Waiting or explain that? The unlimited plan has no Floating Channels whereas the per/minute plan does.

Do you need a credit in your account to try out the service to make outgoing calls?

Is the minimum credit $10? It looks like it when you are taken to the Payment page and you can choose either Paypal or Google Checkout.
How's the voice quality compared to a good provider like Voip.ms?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by dsl2u:

People here feel that Anveo has good service and voice quality.

Someone else will have to explain their calling plans, they are too complex for my poor brain. I find it easier to deal with leukotrienes and cytokines.

"It takes a full time expert to decode this stuff".

----From "Beep" by James Blish (1954)

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
I understand your hesitancy in letting Gmail record all your calls and its valid. But there are numerous other companies that are offering free outgoing calling to people in the US and Canada. The key is finding a company that lets its users (like Voxox) control what number is displayed when making that call.

> Someone else will have to explain their calling plans, they are too complex for my poor brain.

Exactly my point. Their website is a mess. But don't let that stop you from enjoying their services. It looks like they beat other VOIP companies soundly by offering unlimited incoming calling for just $2. Who can come close to that? Their support, while just chat based (don't think they have phone support), was excellent when I recently communicated with them. As long as you can type you're OK. It was down for a while today; not sure what their uptime percentage is. It costs $10 to join as that is their minimum payment but if you don't like anything you can cancel within 24 hours. You use it with a computer based softphone like Xlite or you can buy an unlocked ATA for very little on a place like Ebay (like about $20). Not sure if the type of ATA you choose influences things much. Others experienced with using a few of them could offer their opinions here. If you want flexibility in the home and want to use things like cordless phones you'll need an ATA. Otherwise a bluetooth headset will give you mobility in the room with the computer.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by dsl2u:

It looks like (Anveo) beat other VOIP companies soundly by offering unlimited incoming calling for just $2. Who can come close to that?

Well, Localphone does that for $ 0.99 (99 cents) but in the USA.

Sad to say, Localphone charge $ 3.00 a month for that in Canada.

Strange.

But often caller ID isn't working, there is no dial tone, and other issues reduce my love for this company (Nettalk)

Not trying to give you a hard time, but which is your prime goal at this point, reliability or ultra-low cost?

Sometimes hooking up cheaply has its own consequences....

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

Do they really charge $2 a month for unlimited incoming calling for a Canadian number?

Yes, and you get two inbound channels (=two inbound concurrent calls).

said by dsl2u:

They mention Floating Channels. Is that another term for call waiting? If so, why wouldn't they just say Call Waiting or explain that? The unlimited plan has no Floating Channels whereas the per/minute plan does.

"Floating Channel" is not a term for Call Waiting.

A Floating Channel is an incoming channel which is NOT assigned to any particular phone number and can be used to receive calls to any phone number in your account (with Floating Channels support) and Inbound SIP Trunk.

The number of Floating Channels depends on the subscription level as following:
FREE plan: - 1 Floating Channel
Starter plan: - 2 Floating Channels
Professional plan: - 4 Floating Channels
Business plan: - 5 Floating Channels

said by dsl2u:

Do you need a credit in your account to try out the service to make outgoing calls?

Yes.

said by dsl2u:

Is the minimum credit $10? It looks like it when you are taken to the Payment page and you can choose either Paypal or Google Checkout.

The minimum deposit is $20, but the first deposit can be as low as $10.

said by dsl2u:

How's the voice quality compared to a good provider like Voip.ms?

Today many providers do have a good voice quality, so it can be difficult to make a comparison. I have been using Anveo for over two years and I find the audio quality to be top class.

Your ears are the best to judge the voice quality so I suggest you test Anveo, you only need to deposit $10.
--
My VoIP News

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

People here feel that Anveo has good service and voice quality.

I couldn't agree more.

said by PX Eliezer70:

Someone else will have to explain their calling plans, they are too complex for my poor brain.

Their calling plans and features are very easy to use and understand.

More important, the many features and tools makes Anveo the perfect voip provider for business users. You can start small and easily scale it up to almost any size.
--
My VoIP News