I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state

3 recommendations

reply to dave

Re: Court Rules Texas Schoolgirl Must Be RFID Tagged Or Expelled

said by dave:

What are the "religious" grounds for not wearing an RFID tag? Sure, I can sympathize with not wanting to be tagged, but the religious argument sounds particularly specious. Oh, I see: the "'number of the beast" batshit idiocy.

What are the "privacy" grounds for not wearing a non-RFID lanyard? That sounds to me like the school was willing to compromise with her laughable "religious" nonsense, but Hernandez was not willing.

Dave, is it really necessary to insult someones religious beliefs over them not wanting to wear an RFID tag? Look, I don't know what your religious beliefs are, and to be frank i don't care as its not part of this conversation. However, why ridicule someone's beliefs (this girl) as "batshit idiocy"? What has she done to you? what has she done to deserve such a statement? Her beliefs are not hurting anyone.

Are we not a country that was founded on the universal right to believe in any deity of your choice, and to practice any religion of your choice as long as they are not hurting anybody?

I don't believe bat shit idiocy was such a great word to use here. Schools are government funded, The Constitution states that the government "is not" allowed to interfere or infringe on anyones religious beliefs regardless of what someone thinks of them.

From the typical Christian next door, to the Church of Scientology...all have an equal right to not have their religious beliefs infringed upon by government organizations (which is what a school is, its funded by taxpayer money and that makes it a government institution, and is controlled by the Department of Education)

I am not trying to come across in any type of condescending manner. However, I think all of us(myself included) could learn a lot by just respecting each others rights and ideas, no matter how much we may disagree with them. I don't believe labeling anyone as crazy, or any other derogatory term in relation to their ideas or beliefs is productive at all. The term crazy and "tin foil" gets tossed around way too loosely these days and is used in situations it shouldn't be.

Patrick Henry said it best:

"I may not agree with a word you, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

said by Woody79_00:

Dave, is it really necessary to insult someones religious beliefs over them not wanting to wear an RFID tag?

Yes, it's a specious argument.

However, why ridicule someone's beliefs (this girl) as "batshit idiocy"?

Because number-of-the-beast talk is batshit idiocy.

Are we not a country that was founded on the universal right to believe in any deity of your choice, and to practice any religion of your choice as long as they are not hurting anybody?

Indeed, but that places no requirement on me to refrain from describing batshit idiocy as batshit idiocy. She can say in public what she wants to say. As can I. She may find my opinion offensive, but I find her superstitions to be laughable.

We're not talking about common-or-garden belief in some god, we're talking about a lunatic belief that says a simple identification badge is somehow the mark of the antichrist.

I don't think most christians would agree that a government-issued identification is inherently evil. Her opinions are fringe at best. At some point, we should not need to make accommodation for them.

Note that in fact she was offered a compromise on the RFID chip. But no, the lanyard alone was the mark of the beast. Batshit.

"I may not agree with a word you, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I'm not saying she has no right to say it. I'm just saying that I think the school system went quite far enough in accommodating her.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

3 recommendations

said by dave:

said by Woody79_00:

However, why ridicule someone's beliefs (this girl) as "batshit idiocy"?

Because number-of-the-beast talk is batshit idiocy.
We're not talking about common-or-garden belief in some god, we're talking about a lunatic belief that says a simple identification badge is somehow the mark of the antichrist.
But no, the lanyard alone was the mark of the beast. Batshit.

As far as I know, every Christian Bible contains the following:
quote:
He (AntiChrist) also forced everyone, small and great ... to receive a mark... which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666. ... (Revelation 13:16-17 extracted - NIV)
Calling someone's understanding (or misunderstanding) of part of the Scriptures that are held in highest regard by one of the large religions on the planet as "batshit idiocy" or "lunatic" itself comes dangerously close to bigotry (one intolerantly devoted to his own opinion, church, or party). If one is a Christian, they may often differ with others on what exactly that passage means or how literally it is to be taken, but if they identify themselves as "Christian", they are obliged to believe the passage does contain truth. In any event, why the need for derogatory and insulting terminology to describe somebody else's sincerely-held religious beliefs? I don't happen to agree with the girl's interpretation of this ID badge (or the lanyard) as 'marks of the beast' per Scripture, but isn't it sufficient to simply state that? If discourse cannot remain respectful, is it any wonder that violence breaks out so commonly these days?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Woody79_00
Premium
united state

Well said Blackbird!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Blackbird

Let's break it down:

- A government-issued id is the 'mark of the beast'
- He that issued the id ('forced everyone to receive a mark') is the antichrist
- Therefore 'the government' is the antichrist
- Therefore 'the government' is a figure of concentrated evil

That seems awfully like sedition. As well as crazy.

What is batshit crazy here is not the belief in the antichrist, mark of the beast, etc., but the nonsense that the government is a representative of the antichrist and that an official identification is the mark of the beast.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Woody79_00

Any chance we can return to the subject and skip the religious lectures? Or are we done here?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to dave

said by dave:

Let's break it down:
- A government-issued id is the 'mark of the beast'
- He that issued the id ('forced everyone to receive a mark') is the antichrist
- Therefore 'the government' is the antichrist
- Therefore 'the government' is a figure of concentrated evil
That seems awfully like sedition. As well as crazy.

What is batshit crazy here is not the belief in the antichrist, mark of the beast, etc., but the nonsense that the government is a representative of the antichrist and that an official identification is the mark of the beast.

Assuming that were an accurate breakdown, it would still leave it as only an analysis of a person's Scripture interpretation associated with a resulting belief. Sedition is the causing of insurrection or forceful resistance against a government, and I don't see where the girl did any more than refuse to wear the ID or lanyard, and when compelled, sought relief from a court.

With regards to the "nonsense" of a government's possibly being representative of the AntiChrist, most folks who place credence in the eventual appearance of an AntiChrist largely agree that his power will be expressed through forceful governance of some kind, hence the ability to compel people to receive his mark. So the question then devolves down to whether this government at this point in time is representing such a creature. While I disagree that to be the case in this situation, the concept in principle is not so 'nonsensical' to those who believe it will come to pass some day at some time. Hence, the girl's belief is not so nonsensical as it might seem... only misplaced in time and place and method, IMO.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Woody79_00

Plus 1.

Woody79_00
Premium
united state
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

Any chance we can return to the subject and skip the religious lectures? Or are we done here?

What religious lecture? Stating someone has rights guaranteed to them by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights does not constitute a religious lecture.