Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to Lazy Senior

Premium Member

to Lazy Senior

Re: [IA] Pace HD DVR

Are you senile or something? Where did I mention using composite cable for HD? I said component/composite as in component (RGB) for video and composite (red and white) for audio.

Mediacom considers this setup to be HD ready (and it is since at this time Mediacom does not have any 1080p channels). I use HDMI or component/composite and if someone has a problem with this setup they are free to check with local office to see if they can get HDMI cable. I don't have time for that. Keep in mind that in some rural areas the office is several hours away.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

Eventually we will be forced into needing HDMI connections to be used because TV manufacturers are removing extra composite and component jacks from sets, especially on lower-end models. When I was recently pricing HD TVs in the 37 to 42 inch range, most of what I was finding now seem to come with just a single set of jacks for use as either composite or component (as opposed to two complete sets of each type as my four year old 32 inch Visio has).

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Oh I know that but hopefully these DCTs won't be in the field when that time comes.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

I said component/composite as in component (RGB) for video and composite (red and white) for audio.

Go back and re-read your original post. It is fuzzy at best. Also using composite for audio eliminates decoding DD5.1 audio. DD 5.1 (Dolby Digital) requires either a optical connection, coaxial digital connection or HDMI.

I am assuming that Mediacom passes the DD 5.1 audio. The majority of audio on HD channels is DD 5.1. If one uses a Home Theater system the difference between DD 5.1 and stereo audio is dramatic. All recent Audio Receivers and Higher end TVS will decode DD 5.1. Yet another reason to use the HDMI connection.
Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior to k9iua6

to k9iua6
said by k9iua6:

Eventually we will be forced into needing HDMI connections to be used because TV manufacturers are removing extra composite and component jacks from sets, especially on lower-end models.

Content producers hate component/composite connections because they do not support copy protection. HDMI has copy protection, hence the people making the movies want to force you to use HDMI.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88 to Lazy Senior

Premium Member

to Lazy Senior
I'm just telling you what's considered HD ready. Yes you can get optical audio cable and HDMI and use your surround system and all that but we were not talking about that. Most audio systems use only HDMI from the DCT into the surround system and HDMI out to TV.

I don't mess with customer equipment, you wanna hook it up that's cool. I don't even use Logitech remotes that most people have. I stick with our stuff and if you want to set up your system you can always get Geek squad to do it. But again not something that I have to deal with.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by Anonymous88:

But again not something that I have to deal with.

You should not have to deal with it. OTOH a Tech should not tell customers not to use HDMI.

FWIW Directv does not provide HDMI cables for their equipment. They will give you composite cables for hookup even on their HD boxes. However the Tech will tell you upfront that if you do not use HDMI you will not get a HD picture/DD5.1 audio. He may also try to sell you a HDMI cable for $50 "under the Table".
This makes the Tech a nice profit because you can buy them for under $10 at Amazon...

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Mediacom actually provides HDMI cables when they have them. For free. I don't recommend using component cable IF you can use HDMI. But with that specific DCT I recommend using component cable because HDMI port either already failed or it will soon.

DJ
Premium Member
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL

DJ to Lazy Senior

Premium Member

to Lazy Senior
said by Lazy Senior:

said by Anonymous88:

But again not something that I have to deal with.

FWIW Directv does not provide HDMI cables for their equipment. They will give you composite cables for hookup even on their HD boxes. However the Tech will tell you upfront that if you do not use HDMI you will not get a HD picture/DD5.1 audio. He may also try to sell you a HDMI cable for $50 "under the Table".
This makes the Tech a nice profit because you can buy them for under $10 at Amazon...

Wrong, very wrong. DirecTV requires HDMI connection when the customer has the conection for it. The HDMI cables are provided free for all techs, as many as necessary. They are issued to techs in large quantities to ensure they never run out.

If a tech is trying to profit from these cables, it should be reported.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by DJ:

Wrong, very wrong. DirecTV requires HDMI connection when the customer has the conection for it.

The HDMI cables are provided free for all techs

I have had 2 or 3 different HD DTV installs in the last 8 years. I have never been offered a free HDMI cable. My last install 12 months ago I was told by the installer that both HD DVR's (HR24 and HR34) did not come with HDMI cables. I watched the Tech open both (brand new sealed) boxes and there was no HDMI cable included. However the Tech just happened to have some in the truck...

I had my own HDMI cables which the tech used. It might be wrong but it is happening..

DJ
Premium Member
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL

DJ

Premium Member

said by Lazy Senior:

My last install 12 months ago I was told by the installer that both HD DVR's (HR24 and HR34) did not come with HDMI cables. I watched the Tech open both (brand new sealed) boxes and there was no HDMI cable included. However the Tech just happened to have some in the truck...

I had my own HDMI cables which the tech used. It might be wrong but it is happening..

Correct, the receivers are not packaged with HDMI, neither do they include component or composite cables. Not even a remote control! All of those items are supplied separately so the techs can use them only as needed. A few years ago DirecTV realized the vast amount of new cables and remotes being thrown away because they weren't needed on every job. Thus the reason why everything is packaged separately.

It's not a scam by any means. However if a tech is profiting off something we're supposed to be offering for free, it needs to be reported.