uniqs

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Cypress PSoC, worth a look????

Anyone use the Cypress PSoC series? Is it anything worth looking at?
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by SparkChaser:

Anyone use the Cypress PSoC series? Is it anything worth looking at?

The cpu has recently been upgraded from 8051 class to arm.
Can be a cost effective alternative to mpu+fpga.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
I was quite impressed with pSoC mainly because of the easy analog configuration. They have special versions with RF and I think now also for power supply designs.
Phillip
I Need A Nap
join:2004-12-21
Hatboro, PA

Phillip to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
We had the FAE demo them a few weeks back and one of engineers has been playing with the PSoC 5 board. You draw out the functions that you want in a schematic format and then edit there associated C code files for the processor to run. You can also add additional C code for it to run as well.

Basically, it is a cross over platform for a hardware engineer to get into software or a software engineer to get into hardware, and the software editor/compiler is pretty initiative in this aspect.

As for their uses, they are somewhat limited due to their flash/ram sizes and user pin counts, like there CPLD or micro controller counter parts.

If you are looking to play with a arm micro, look at TI's launchpad arm board for 12$.

For FPGA, look at Actel's smartfusion eval kit for 99$.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
Reminds me Atmel's FPSLIC, of which has been completely erased from their website.

And of course I have an FPSLIC devkit.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Thanks all for the comments. It does sound like an interesting part.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

And of course I have an FPSLIC devkit.

I actually paid $$$ for a Triscend E5 "CSoC" kit and keil compiler back in 2001. It is possible Cypress purchased/licensed their intellectual property and upgraded 8032 to 8051.

I got the 2003 vintage pSoC kit for free - they did a promo through EE Times I think. Cypress has been quite successful with that line and they are most probably here to stay another decade.