spc
uniqs

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to lugnut

to lugnut

Re: [Serious] HRSDC does it again!!!

People need to be fired for this. There's no excuse.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Mike2009:

Actually there is. Often workers are put in compromising positions with protecting information and are used as scapegoats when things they have little or no control over go south.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

said by peterboro:

said by Mike2009:

Actually there is. Often workers are put in compromising positions with protecting information and are used as scapegoats when things they have little or no control over go south.

Actually there is NO excuse for this. Government employees are paid top dollar and benefits in order to attract the "best" IT employees available. It was up to that bunch of PhDs to design and implement a world class, government class security system to protect sensitive information. Somewhere, somehow, some government administrative egghead dropped the ball on the design and implementation and by all means that's exactly where the buck is supposed to stop.

Of course, the old boys network of the civil service will protect him from actually facing any consequences and the keystone cops will continue to run the government's IT departments without so much as a hiccup.

Like I said in my first post, how hard IS IT to disable user access to USB on these machines? On Linux it's trivial. What kind of sh*ts for brains are running the department?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by lugnut :

Actually there is NO excuse for this.

I said often workers are put in compromising positions and that statement covers more than this case alone.

"some government administrative egghead" are who put the safeguards in place that compromise thousands of front line workers if not designed properly.

Then if there is a breach who do you think gets screwed over? That's right the worker not administration who set up the system.

So yes there are thousands of excuses out there just waiting for the next security breach.

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

My employer would fire me over this. It's clearly communicated to us not to do something so stupid. They should fire someone higher up like a director responsible for the department in question.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Mike2009:

My employer would fire me over this. It's clearly communicated to us not to do something so stupid. They should fire someone higher up like a director responsible for the department in question.

Each case turns it's merits and if you were warned and repeatedly, and unequivocally, breached protocol, that was properly instituted, then yes you should be terminated.

However that protocol should also be the subject of scrutiny. Was it set up properly? Were employees properly trained on it? Were employees adequately advised they could be terminated?

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

If the federal government doesn't have policies set up to address this kind of thing then there's an even bigger problem.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

You screw up like this in my department and it's an automatic firing. Also depending on the gravity of the screw up, there may be criminal prosecution (that's in the law governing my department). Security of information is pretty much the "prime directive" and there are no excuses.

I never understood how in hell confidential data ends up on USB keys, portable hard drives or laptops that can be taken off the premises. How many stories like this have we seen in the past few years, from governments, insurance companies, credit card companies etc? And of course most of the time the data isn't even encrypted.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Mike2009

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

If the federal government doesn't have policies set up to address this kind of thing then there's an even bigger problem.

It is how the policy was set up and the appropriate safeguards.

In all likelihood the policies are set up to provide isolation of discipline the further you go up the foodchain in an organization.
Laidback
join:2001-09-30
Cochrane, ON

Laidback to Mike2009

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

They will get a fucking gold plated termination package and then file a grievance with the union to get rehired. Win win situation.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Laidback:

said by Mike2009:

They will get a fucking gold plated termination package and then file a grievance with the union to get rehired. Win win situation.

That's not what happens in the real world though.