Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

Scatcatpdx to Dustyn

to Dustyn

Re: Rolling the Dice

The problem is I going have to got to someday or another. I have XP. After I hard all the flack about how bad Visata was then find most most of criticism was hype when I got a vista laptop. I have trust problem with pundits and tech types. I cannot trust nobody but my own opinion.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

Do it!

Nightshade
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

Nightshade to Scatcatpdx

Premium Member

to Scatcatpdx
The flack you hear from Vista is from when it first came out before the service packs. After the updates and service packs Vista was actually pretty decent. But be aware that Vista is essentially a patch job that was successful in the end

I have a rule of thumb when it comes to the Windows OS, skip every other version since 98. So with that said go from XP to 7 (if you can), then wait til 9 comes out and skip 8. But that's not to say 8 is good. I have 8 installed on my laptop and it runs well but I use my laptop as a testbed to see how well the software works before putting it on my desktop. My desktop has 7 and I don't see me upgrading it to 8 as of yet. I play MMOs and use Ventrilo, I found out with 8 that in order for me to talk in vent I have to get out of the game to talk in ventrilo then go back in the game to play. Its a PITA.

amenite
Premium Member
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

I got nailed while buying a laptop in the time period when MS had ceased XP sales and forced OEMs to use Vista. So I had no choice if I wanted recent hardware. In typical MS fashion they backtracked on that after Vista SP 0 turned out to be such a problem, but not until I had been stuck with it. It's evolved to be pretty stable and not bad overall, but it took 2 SPs to get there.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

No it took good drivers. The problem with vista and drivers was that vista was a complete remake of windows, and they delayed it so many times that driver companies did not believe it was coming out when microsoft said.

amenite
Premium Member
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

I'll compromise and say good drivers *and* two SPs later...
« 25 megs in 2 yearsjava threat »
This is a sub-selection from Rolling the Dice