spc
Search similar:

uniqs
moribundman
join:2011-02-26

3 edits

moribundman

Can't get router to work

...or rather it seems my modem doesn't work with my router. I have a 2011 Mac mini and use a Motorola MSTATEA 2210-02-1002 DSL modem. Earthlink is my service provider.

For security reasons I want to put my old Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router between the Mac and the modem. On the router I get all green lights for "Ethernet" and "Internet." On the modem I get green lights for Ethernet, DSL and Internet, but I get a slowly and steadily blinking green "Activity" light, and I can't get a connection.

I do not get an internet connection, and after a while the Mac opens Network Settings:

- ethernet ok
- network settings ok
- ISP fail
- internet fail
- server fail

I am told to restart "the device." Doesn't say which one (computer, modem router). I tried all. I also reset the router with the little reset button on its back. It's a no-go. Please advise!
moribundman

moribundman

Can anybody please tell me how to check if my router is toast?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to moribundman

Premium Member

to moribundman
said by moribundman:

I want to put my old Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router between the Mac and the modem.

What is the exact Model of your Router?

Also read:

»Which 2210 is the "right" 2210?

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I properly setup a Motorola 2210 modem with a Linksys router?
nick11
join:2005-07-17
Chicago, IL

nick11

said by Doctor Olds:

What is the exact Model of your Router?

hello doc,

router is a linksys befrsr41ha, that was the exact url I told moribundman to follow!

I'm curious about something. is the linksys befsr41 router any different to setup than an apple airport router? I know the befsr41 is wired and the airport is wireless. I don't mean that. I mean the "bridged mode" thing. if I understand correctly, when you follow the instructions at the above link, the 2210 modem will be put in "bridged mode" and the befsr41 router will handle the pppoe.

a while ago you and wayjac showed moribundman and me how to connect a 2210 modem to a mac via an airport router:
»[General] PPPoE or DHCP with Earthlink (Mac OS X 10.4)?
it seemed that in that case the 2210 modem handles the pppoe.

are the two setups different or are am I overlooking something?

Thanks

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The instructions at the link you posted are for a 2210-02-1006
The gui of the 2210-02-1006 and 2210-02-1002 look different

said by nick11:

are the two setups different or are am I overlooking something?

Yes the two setups are different
One setup has the modem bridged with a router doing the pppoe
The other setup has the modem doing the pppoe
nick11
Chicago, IL

nick11

said by wayjac:

Yes the two setups are different
One setup has the modem bridged with a router doing the pppoe
The other setup has the modem doing the pppoe

I'm curious, what is that dictates who will do the pppoe? I once had a befsr41 and I remember that, unlike the befsr41 setup in this case, it was the dsl modem that handled the pppoe.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to nick11

Premium Member

to nick11
said by nick11:

router is a linksys befrsr41

You should set the Modem to Bridge Mode/Bridged Ethernet Mode and then setup PPPoE in your Linksys befrsr41.

Otherwise you are cascading Routers and performing NAT multiple times (Double-NAT in your case) which isn't the optimal setup.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to nick11

MVM

to nick11
You will decide which device will do the pppoe......

The dsl modem can be configured to do the pppoe or the dsl modem can be configured for bridge mode, when the modem is bridged a router or computer must do the pppoe
nick11
Chicago, IL

nick11 to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

You should set the Modem to Bridge Mode/Bridged Ethernet Mode and then setup PPPoE in your Linksys befrsr41. Otherwise you are cascading Routers and performing NAT multiple times (Double-NAT in your case) which isn't the optimal setup.

the cascading and double NAT will happen because the 2200 modem is also a router doc?

and since the 2200 modem is a router too, will it do NAT if you connect the 2200 to the computer alone without a router, thus giving you the security benefits of NAT?
nick11

nick11 to wayjac

to wayjac
said by wayjac:

You will decide which device will do the pppoe...... The dsl modem can be configured to do the pppoe or the dsl modem can be configured for bridge mode, when the modem is bridged a router or computer must do the pppoe

are there any benefits to doing the pppoe on the modem or the router?

btw, do you know if the SpeedStream 4100 modem is a router too?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by nick11:

are there any benefits to doing the pppoe on the modem or the router?

I don't think it matterrs which device does the pppoe
said by nick11:

do you know if the SpeedStream 4100 modem is a router too?

Yes the SS4100 is a router for one device only